Team Build 8

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to keep up, total build # is 10? Nine team members and 1 to auction?

I have to go out today in search of a blade for my 4x6 bandsaw and a 2-56 tap. Most likely will end up having to order them online.

Hoping for warmer weather today and over the weekend to be able to get into the shop. I work out of an unheated garage...

Chuck

Team members ...
We now 8 team members (with the addition of chrispare) .... with the possibility of a ninth member chucketn.

So how many engines do we build?

From what I have read it's usually the number of team member plus 1.
The extra one goes to shows then auctioned off with the proceeds contributed to a worthy cause. Or something along those lines. I think that's great and would support that effort. However, I don't have the connections nor the means to pull that together. Someone on the team would need to take on that assignment. Volunteer?

Pat H.

Do we have a volunteer to handle the auction? Will close this item out ... say Saturday (11/17/2012) at noon Calif time.

Pat H.

Pat I will volunteer for the auction as I still have the last one to do.
I could do them both at once. Unless there is someone else who would like to?

you dont need an auction connection
I was just going to auction it off on here and possibly over on another board as well

Dale the piston rod gland, are you going to make it the the size on the plans?

I got into the shop today and got started on the rockers. I was able to get them into blanks with all the holes. I then built a fixture to hold them in the CNC. I hope to get the pockets cut into them on Sunday in between watching the Eagles get beat.:eek:
then on Friday get the outside cut. I will post more pictures as I cut more parts

Dave

100_0700.jpg

100_0701.jpg

100_0702.jpg

100_0703.jpg

100_0705.jpg

Wish I had CNC but that is way beyond my abilities or budget.

I got my band saw straightened out, had to install a new blade, clean, allign, and adjust the guide bearings.

Now I'm ready to start on parts. I have 3 pieces of 1 7/8” brass bar ends about 3” long. I'm trying to figure out the best way to get 10 pieces .500 x .250 x .500 from them for the crank bearing, while minimising waste.

Also, what is the easiest way to build the connecting rod? Can I not make the basic rod from 3/16 steel rod and have some one silver solder on a flat piece for the square end? I do not have facility to silver solder.

I have never made anything this small,or this complex.

Chuck

Last edited:
Now I'm ready to start on parts. I have 3 pieces of 1 7/8” brass bar ends about 3” long. I'm trying to figure out the best way to get 10 pieces .500 x .250 x .500 from them for the crank bearing, while minimising waste.

Chuck

Chuck,

You would probably be best off planning to make a few more parts than the minimum required. I found on the team build I did before this one that I scrapped quite a few pieces on the way to getting 10 good ones. So this time I'm aiming to start out with roughing out 15 pieces and hopefully I'll get more than 10 good ones by the time I'm done putting holes in them in all the wrong places.

Mike

Chuck, I'm new to cnc and still climbing the steep learning curve. Don't let the parts overwhelm you. Just make one piece at a time and before you know it your done.

Dave

Also, what is the easiest way to build the connecting rod? Can I not make the basic rod from 3/16 steel rod and have some one silver solder on a flat piece for the square end? I do not have facility to silver solder.

I have never made anything this small,or this complex.

Chuck

Chuck:

That is a perfectly reasonable approach to the part. I would suggest that you make the flat piece oversize, and then once it is soldered in place you can chuck the rod in the lathe and face the flat bit to dimension, this will ensure that it is perpendicular to the axis of the rod, and will also shave off the crud that results from the soldering! If your chuck is easily removable, and you have the head-room in your mill , once you have faced the part, leave it in the chuck to sit it on the table of the mill or DP to drill the holes for the bolts that hold on the big end, and to bring the sides and ends down to size.

(That's just how I would do it, many other ways to skin this cat, no doubt.)

Cheers, Joe

Chuck,
It helps to sort out the order of operations, select the most appropriate
tools available and even design and build fixtures that make multiple parts
much quicker and easier. Having an overall outlook on building the part will take a lot of the worry out and keep Murphy from showing up.
Also, posting a specific question here will get an answer or two.
Look at this as a good opportunity to advance skills and add enjoyment
to your hobby. As far as the conrod, I can silver solder the pieces if You
decide to make it in 2 pieces.
Planning for maximum material yield is a worthwhile skill for
frugal people like me and ensures the growth of my offcut pile, which I would be glad to share with team members for this build. The shafting for the crankshaft will be from stock thats been sitting around for over 20 years.
It should be well seasoned by now.

Regards,
Maverick

Hello, complete newbe to the form but was wondering if there is anything left for me to do so I can get involved too.....

Chria I have not looked at that yet . but I will make it what ever size you ask , All so the piston will have to be made smaller then .500 .Thanks Dale

Chris has volunteered to assemble and auction off one of the engines.
So we need to make enough parts for 10 units. :)

When it comes time to ship your parts mail 2 sets to Chris.

Pat H.

aonemarine,

Sorry but currently all parts are taken. But keep checking back, never know ... someone may have to drop out. :)

Pat H.

aonemarine,

Sorry but currently all parts are taken. But keep checking back, never know ... someone may have to drop out. :)

Pat H.

No problem, ill keep an eye on the post. Might give it a go solo as well but dang there is alot of little pieces!!

Ok so the piston I'll make 10-15 thou smaller and the oring will be a nice fit for .500. Will that be ok?

Okay, now that we have a few things out of the way we need make a few more decisions namely:

Hardware ... I suggest that we supply our own. That way each team member can decide whether to make or buy the nuts/bolts and what style.

Schedule ... lots of parts need to be made so how about shipping parts by February 28, 2013. This gives us a little over 3 months. With the holidays coming up we all will be very busy with family, so maybe we should extend it a few more weeks?

Comments ...

Pat H.

Last edited:
That is reasonable time to shoot for.
As for hardware supplying our own is ok with me.

Latest posts

Back