tap wrenches

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've made a couple Marv-style guided tap holders (easy to do, especially if you have hex stock handy), but still most of my tapping down to #2 size in non-ferrous metals is done "off-line" in a vise with a tapping block.

You can get fancy tapping blocks with a bunch of holes drilled in them of various tap sizes, or do what I do, which is every time I have a short (~1") nub of rod leftover in the lathe, face it off and drill it with whatever tap shank size I want a tapping block for (little taps all have the same size shank, which is handy). In use, oil the tap, stick the tap through the block, hold the block hard up against the bit-to-be-tapped (hopefully you've got a flat reference surface, otherwise, use a guided holder) and turn the tap, using either a T-wrench or the other sort, whatever they're called-- the two v-blocks screwed together. When done, I throw the tap block into the appropriate little drawer that size taps and dies live in.

For #4 and smaller taps, I've knurled and drilled some bits of ~1" rod and cross-drilled them for a set-screw and mount a tap in them. Easily turned by hand in soft materials with less chance of over-torquing. Put a reamed, sized hole in the 'rear' end and they double as guided tap holders too.

Hi,

I use large bolts to make tapping guides:

Face and drill the bolt head:

1-tappingguidemadefrombolt.jpg

2-tappingguidewithtap.jpg

Put the tap through the guide:

3-tapinguide1.jpg

4-tapinguide2.jpg

Hold bolt against item to be tapped:

5-holdingtheguide.jpg

Ian

It always amazes me the different solutions that different people come up with. It's one of the many things I like about this hobby. Not only can you suggest a solution...you can make it and try it.

Yep. Going to have to make some tap guides/holders/tools.

Since I started using Bob Shore's Tap Disk I have not broken a tap even the 0-80 ones.
Charlie

Here's the description from the Florida AME web site:
"Difficult to believe that I have not posted a tip about my Tap Disk. Every shop should have one , and use it, to prevent small tap breakage. I have not broken a tap within the past 10 years while using my Tap Disk and I constantly use tap sizes 0 through 6. Take a few minutes to make one, try it and I am sure you will opt for this taping method whenever possible.

THE DISK
Turn an Aluminum disk, 1 1/8" OD, knurl it, center drill .144" and part it off .325" thick. Drill NO. 43 from the OD to the ID and tap 4-40. Install a 4-40, hex head bolt, .750" long.

TO USE
Insert the tap in the Tap Disk to it's mid point. Tighten the bolt with a 1/4" wrench. Drill the hole to be taped in the Drill Press, Mill or Lathe. Remove the drill, fill the hole with WD-40, or your favorite taping fluid and grip the upper half of the tap in the chuck, just loose enough to turn freely. Lower the spindle/tap to the work. Use your thumb and forefinger to tap the hole.
Bob Shores
Ruskin FLA

I also use Ian's technique, and his taste in tap handles is second to none!

tap%20holes%20009.jpg

Back