Sugestions for a Power plate

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gocy

Reaction score
Today i was given a power plate base (that thing you stand on and through vibration, you loose extra weight *bang* )
It was not working through the power supply but when i wired the motor directly on 24V, it run smoothly :). The motor reads:

YANCHENG Dong Guan Qin Electrical Engineering Co. Ltd.
H.P. 1.0
RPM 4400
Rotation CW
Volts 180V
Amp 4A
Duty Continuous

I have 240V single phase in my workshop.
How can i run this safely?
Any advices on what to do with this will be considered. Bare in mind that I don't have a lathe or a mill.
Maybe a grinder or a belt sander would suit more my needs.

WP_002711.jpg

Location Location.

I/we can give lots of options but I see you in cyprus.

The motor controllers for the mini mills and lathes are pulse width modulators and put out dc pulsed voltage so you could varry the speed of this.

Mean well brand power supplies out of china could be a solution . They tend to put and a rated voltage and have a flexible input voltage and a large input range.

So what are you using this table for ? cleaning ? casting?

Tin

Just to clarify: the 180V rating indicates this is a DC motor. 220V DC motor controllers are able to come up with about 180 VDC after some losses in making the DC. (120VAC input controllers deliver 90 VDC output).

I don't think you want to try to run it on AC power, unless the nameplate clearly indicates it is a "Universal" motor. The nameplates of motors made in China are often not clear about anything.

With a low cost DC power supply, you can get variable speed with lots of low RPM torque. You also need to find out if this is a wound field motor or a permanent magnet motor. The permanent magnet field usually only has two wires going to the motor. The wound field will have 4 wires. If it has a wound field, you need a DC controller with a field output (most low cost controllers have this feature).

Happy motoring,
Terry S.

Big progress from yesterday ;) While measuring the voltage on the pcb board, somehow it started working (ok, after a small shortage ;);)). woohoo1
This is a video i made this morning.
http://youtu.be/TDEW8h1xziU
Now what....?

Last edited:
Some of those boards have a safety feature that allows you to start only in slow speed. a good idea anyway .

Good news you got it going.
Tin

So what are you using this table for ? cleaning ? casting?

Tin

General usage Tin, as i said, no lathe or mill yet. This table is custom made to suit my needs (Mostly dealing with vintage motorcycles). A vice, a bench drill and some drawers for tools :)

I think it would make an awsome power sand riddle for a foundry.

Latest posts

Back