Stuart Triple Scale up

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milan Machine Worrks

Reaction score
Hi

Here's several photos of my project, :) Sorry about the photo quality never been much with a camera.

Roland

Jig Plate.jpg

Stock.jpg

Pockets.jpg

Top Machined.jpg

Nice work! can't wait to see the final engine.

IronHorse

Greetings Roland - I think that you are underestimating yourself. Your photos are just fine. Keep up the good work! - Billmc

Wow, that looks like the start of an impressive engine! :bow:

What mill is that sitting in? The scraping job on the table is interesting.

Given that there is a tool carousel in one of the pics plus the builder's screen name, the mill is clearly a CNC mill. Dare I guess a Fadal? ???

Hello

Yes its a FADAL 3016 FX , This my first real machining project, Its time now to flip the part over and machine the other side. On the top side there was somewhere around 400,000 lines of code!! :eek: One tool path alone was 82,000 lines!!. I posted a pdf of the part in the plans sector, Here's another pdf. of the drawing. After maching the the part I noticed some minor mistakes that I made in scaling the drawing up its nothing that going to effect the part though. Its still usable.

Roland

View attachment Bed Plate - Rev B.pdf

Vernon said:
What mill is that sitting in? The scraping job on the table is interesting.

Vern,

It looks more like a form of engine turning rather than scraping to my tired old eyes.

Best Regards
Bob

Hi

I know this little off subject but this is one of the projects I was working on before I started getting into steam engines, and the reason I have sheet metal tools. ::)

Roland

Sonex 094 (Large).jpg

Sonex 082 (Large).jpg

Niiiice... a taildragger Sonex, eh? :bow: :bow: Which engine did you use?
How many pair of Cleco pliers did you go though? :D

Hi cool looking aircraft ,,,,,,,,,,,, please more info ;D

Rob

Hi

So there I'm machining the bottom side of the bed plate on the last operation and I usually sit there and watch it cut, So I walk over to my desk and sit down, I no sooner sit down and I hear this noise that I can't describe coming from the machine I run over hit he emergency stop button and there it is ruined Rof} th_wtf1 If you look at the last photo you'll see where the cutter went right though the web ( 2nd one from the left Rof}) So I reordered the stock to start over. I spent 2 days trying to figure out what went wrong to no avail, went over and over the code could not find anything wrong and even reran the tool path again with out the part in the machine over and over. no can find anything wrong! Ah the virtue of computers and cad cam! :wall:

Roland

Bottom at start.JPG

After first tool path.JPG

What it was going to be.JPG

The mess.JPG

Aw man, I feel your pain.. and I can hear the endmill screech just looking at that slot. :-\ ;D

Hi

I didn't finish it, I have a Cozy MKIV that I'm working on and the sonex was get ting the way :-\ And the sonex was taking up my whole shop I was get tired of looking at it so I sold this summer to a guy in Indiana he drove out to NH with his wife and put in a landscape trailer and was whistling and singing all the way home she told me :big: I was going to use modified VW engine. I think that I had around 1000 cleco three different sizes.

Roland

Yeah it was a ball end mill went though about at 1.125 deep about .500 deeper then the last Z depth it the code.

Hi All

I've been off my project for a while now and decided to do a little more. Got the cylinders rough out lately. Here's several photo's.

Roland

DSCF2619 (Large).JPG

DSCF2621 (Large).JPG

DSCF2632 (Large).JPG

Latest posts

Back