Straight 8

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aermotor8 said:
i have always had trouble drilling wrist pin hole's, but after seeing the way you did it ........... i think my problems are over

I hear you. I have tried a few things like the v block and stuff. Never seem to get things right. I like this way. I will be doing pistons this way again. Seems to go good and timely.

Thanks Aero!

stevehuckss396 said:
Thanks Zee. I just hope it runs. It is my own design and well, You know.

Steve, I've no doubt you'll get it running. Might be hard to get it to idle at under 3,000 rpm's or so, but I'll bet it'll run!

Chuck

cfellows said:
Steve, I've no doubt you'll get it running. Might be hard to get it to idle at under 3,000 rpm's or so, but I'll bet it'll run!

Chuck

Gee's I hope it idles lower than that. I have a good sized slug of metal for the rear of the crankshaft. Most people thought the Peewee wouldn't idle well and it does.

DSCN0741.jpg

Last edited:
Steve, that method for cutting the wrist pin holes is brilliant!

I can't wait to see more of this great engine.

Wow, brilliant stuff Steve. What sort of clearance is there between cyl and piston? Presumably this must be carefully calculated being two different metals?

I would have thought it would be easier to control the speed with more cylinders making the whole thing run smoother, but I guess time will tell!

Nick

NickG said:
Wow, brilliant stuff Steve. What sort of clearance is there between cyl and piston? Presumably this must be carefully calculated being two different metals?

I would have thought it would be easier to control the speed with more cylinders making the whole thing run smoother, but I guess time will tell!

Nick

I was shooting for .001 - .0015 under size. I can plug the liner with my thumb and put the piston in the bore. The piston just sits there and wont move until i pull my thumb off and the piston falls thru into my hand. Fit is good.

Everybody kept telling me that the flywhel is to small on the peewee and that thing idles fine. It will never idle at 500rpm but shoot. Sounds OK to me! So I guess we will see but for now, this is what i'm trying.

After working 29 hours over Friday and Saturday, I was thinking it was time to do something that required very little brain power. I had the gcode finished for some plates that go on the inspection plates. I ended up breaking a 12 dollar bit mostly due to my head being in a fog but it went quite well. I used a .020 end mill and the 2 plates took about 4-1/2 hours to cut. I used the time to clean up around the garage.

The two plates are about 2" wide and 1" tall. Details are cut in .025 deep and the oval is .005 short of cutting thru. I should be able to press the plates right out.

DSCN2029.jpg

DSCN2035.jpg

DSCN2041.jpg

DSCN2044.jpg

Last edited:
Boy that CNC stuff is great, isn't it?
George

Steve you really do some beautiful machining. My hat is off to you. Keep up the fabulous job. Love your building posts. Just thought I would give you some recognition. I personally have never seen a model straight 8. Be happy to see it run. ironman

ironman said:
I personally have never seen a model straight 8. Be happy to see it run. ironman

I have only seen one and never seen it run. That is one of the reasons I picked this as a project. I make some rings today and am trying to get my head around the heat treating fixture. I would also like to see it running!!!

Thanks!

Made my head gasket today. I made a fixture from some 1/8 inch aluminum. I was able to sandwich some teflon sheet between the 2 pieces of the fixture and drill out the holes and used a razor blade to slice the holes out for the cylinders. Figured while i was at it I would make a spare. Now that the template is made it takes just a few minutes to make a gasket.

DSCN2050.jpg

DSCN2049.jpg

DSCN2048.jpg

Last edited:
stevehuckss396 said:
After working 29 hours over Friday and Saturday, I was thinking it was time to do something that required very little brain power. I had the gcode finished for some plates that go on the inspection plates. I ended up breaking a 12 dollar bit mostly due to my head being in a fog but it went quite well. I used a .020 end mill and the 2 plates took about 4-1/2 hours to cut. I used the time to clean up around the garage.

Steve;

Great Job. Thm: How long did it take you to make the "program" for the CNC to cut them inspection plates?

Matt

This is an interesting engine. Great job! Hats off. Where did you get the plans?

I can bet there's a bunch of people saying they wish it was them posting this thread.

1hand said:
How long did it take you to make the "program" for the CNC to cut them inspection plates?

Hi Matt!

I ass/u/me you are talking about the Bugatti emblems. The code took about 30 minutes. Would have been about 1/3 of that time but LazyCam is a bit figgy and didn't want to pocket around all that text. Finally got it to work.

wes said:
This is an interesting engine. Great job! Hats off. Where did you get the plans?

Thanks Wes!

I drew up the plans myself. I started on it about 3 years ago. Now that i have built an engine with water system and cast iron rings on the pistons, I'm changing this engine to have the same thing. Trying to upgrade using what I have. If I started over I would do things a bit different but not much.

Back