Straight 8

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has really been an exceptionally interesting project. Thanks for sharing it!

Cheers,

BW

This is going to be a pretty serious engine.

Thanks for the great documentation.

Did some tinkering in the garage today. I installed the timing case. Then the cam boxes and shafts went on. These 2 camshafts took many nights to make. I use to cut 2 or 3 lobes a night. I used a 67 oldsmobile cam as a template so the exact specs are unknown.

DSCN2097.jpg

Next goes the timing gear. This equipment might get replaced with some bevel gears and shafts. This way i can drive the water pump and maybe some day, the blower. When I started this thing I would have never been able to pull off something like that so the belt was within my skills.

DSCN2100.jpg

All the covers go on.

DSCN2102.jpg

The intake looks alot like the original in the photos that i have. and the blower will be fake.

DSCN2105.jpg

The exhaust is put together with the wrong solder. When it falls apart I plan to reassemble with silver solder. There will also be a horizontal pipe to collect exhaust from the 2 vertical pipes and send it to the rear.

DSCN2107.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:
Thats going to be a real looooker........Love the headers!

Matt

Steve, that is a fabulous looking engine. Your talent and skills are super. Ironman

Those are some cool looking pics.
I mean...
Those are some cool looking pics.
Neat.

Hi Steve, boy that thing is sure looking great. Are you going to have the parts at NAMES? I'd like to see it.
George

What George said!

Even chicks are going to dig this one Bubba! ;D :bow: :bow:

Dave

Ya know Steve, I just saw the mike's in the foreground and got an appreciation of size.

This thing is small!......that makes it even more cool in my book!

Dave

gbritnell said:
Hi Steve, boy that thing is sure looking great. Are you going to have the parts at NAMES? I'd like to see it.
George

Yes G it will be there for sure. Wont be making much progress between now and then. I have to make some air valves. I have 6 air engines I want to run.

As a straight 8 .....I think it small.....but I'm ham fisted ;D

Great looking job of it Steve , in all seriousness.

Dave

Hi Steve

I've been quietly watching this engine take shape fantastic work, the belt driven cam as given me confidence for an engine design thats been slowly germinating in my head.

One ? I may have missed this, but what ignition system are you planning on using:- glow plugs ???

Cheers

Stew

SBWHART said:
what ignition system are you planning on using:- glow plugs ???

Hi Stew!

If you look back at the photos you will see 2 distributors to the rear of the engine driven by the cams. I am going to pick up an ignition from S/S at names in a few weeks and put some magnets somewhere. I have Uncle Dale Detrich on high alert for 8 spark plugs.

Steve I can't believe how much progress you've made on this since I last checked in. It is fantastic, it is quite large for a model. Prob asked this before but what does cc work out as in cc? I can't get a feel for ci as a unit!

Cheers

Nick

NickG said:
Steve I can't believe how much progress you've made on this since I last checked in. It is fantastic, it is quite large for a model. Prob asked this before but what does cc work out as in cc? I can't get a feel for ci as a unit!

You have to remember that alot of the parts were made years ago but the project is getting a major revamp.

.850 bore X 1.0625 stroke = 4.8233CID
.079 Liters

79cc?

Does that sound right?

Thanks Nick!!

Just something to prepare yourself for (not really). My dad had a Bugatti for a few years before WWII. He used it to get to work which was an adventure. The starting ritual involved installing the "starting" plugs. Starting the engine and letting it and all 20 quarts of oil warm up for a while. Then change over to the "running" plugs and go to work. Times have changed. Hopefully, you won't need two sets of plugs.

Ed T said:
Just something to prepare yourself for (not really). My dad had a Bugatti for a few years before WWII. He used it to get to work which was an adventure. The starting ritual involved installing the "starting" plugs. Starting the engine and letting it and all 20 quarts of oil warm up for a while. Then change over to the "running" plugs and go to work. Times have changed. Hopefully, you won't need two sets of plugs.

Is that why they had a set of plugs screwed into the firewall?

Back