Straight 8

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neat! This is a fascinating engine.

I saw an earlier pic with some pistons in the background. Are they for this engine? How about a closer pic?

zeeprogrammer said:
Neat! This is a fascinating engine.

I saw an earlier pic with some pistons in the background. Are they for this engine? How about a closer pic?

Those pistons will be in the scrap pile. I changed the bore from .875 to .850 to increase the thickness of the sleeve. I plan to ream the new slugs with a press fit wrist pin and float on the rod. I also want to put cast iron rings on the pistons instead of the viton orings. I do intend to reuse the rods and wrist pins.

DSCN0614.JPG

DSCN0648.JPG

Hi Steve, another way to use full floating wrist pins is to drill them out and leave them a little short in the piston, then make up some Teflon plugs for the ends of them.
George

gbritnell said:
Hi Steve, another way to use full floating wrist pins is to drill them out and leave them a little short in the piston, then make up some Teflon plugs for the ends of them.
George

That is how the old ones are done. I prefer to have a press fit in the rod and float the piston. I'm past that on this one.

Wow, that's a nice crank. Is it all pressed and pinned together? Are those ball bearing races on there?

Chuck

I got the head converted to water cooled. The head needed slots milled in it to transfer the coolant along it's length. I decided to mill them using CNC because of the enormous setup time for a manual operation. It would have required 8 seperate setups and the 1/32 endmill would be a problem in the big slow mill. In the CNC mill the slots took an hour.

I poked a 1/8th endmill into the head to line up the water transfer between the head and block.

Next the transfer slots were cut. If you look close you can see them following the curve around the combustion chambers.

DSCN1944.JPG

DSCN1947.JPG

DSCN1949.JPG

Next I drilled the holes that transfer the water from the right side of the head to the left. I then flows along the head again and thru the holes out the top. The top passages and hole to bolt the flanges down were drilled.

Made it thru without screwing it up!!

DSCN1951.JPG

DSCN1953.JPG

DSCN1955.JPG

DSCN1956.JPG

Looking great Steve! :bow: Did you draw this one up?

Dave

steamer said:
Looking great Steve! :bow: Did you draw this one up?

Dave

I drew the plans about 4 or so years ago. According to the date on my photos, I made the first piece June of 2006. Hard to believe I have been doing this stuff 3-1/2 years already. Seems like yesterday.

Steve
This is some kind of art. NICE. Overhead cams, who who ;D ;D
I'm looking forward to see the rest, Specialy how you will make the head-gasket.
CS

crankshafter said:
Steve
This is some kind of art. NICE. Overhead cams, who who ;D ;D
I'm looking forward to see the rest, Specialy how you will make the head-gasket.
CS

I will most likely make a few punches and just punch out the head gasket. I made the peewee gaskets the same way. It will be made from .010 thick teflon sheet. I'm a long way away from that right now.

Funny you said something about it, I just drew up the gasket friday.

Just keeps getting better and better, Steve. That head is going to be a hard act to follow!

Chuck

very impressive steve :bow:

is this engine going to feature a "hot" cam or is it going to be just a nice mild cam?

chuck

aermotor8 said:
very impressive steve :bow:

is this engine going to feature a "hot" cam or is it going to be just a nice mild cam?

chuck

Thats a good question. When i made the cams for this build I copied the lobes from a Olds 330 camshaft. I dont know the specific details about the copied cam. Have to wait and see what happens.

I used the old milling machine/ rotary table method and it took me hours and hours. I used to come home from work and cut 3 lobes a night. Wont do that again.

DSCN0566.jpg

DSCN0570.jpg

Last edited:
Looking very impressive, Steve. Excellent work.

Sorry for the silly question about con rods/pistons.

Dean

Deanofid said:
Sorry for the silly question about con rods/pistons.

The only silly question is the question not asked. If you see something you would like to know more about or just doesn't look right, Ask! That's why we are all here.

Sorry if i made you feel like your question was silly. I hope i never make someone feel they shouldn't ask a question.

Beautiful work! I wondering to myself, how you get the ball bearings on the the bump sticks?

CallMeAL said:
Beautiful work! I wondering to myself, how you get the ball bearings on the the bump sticks?

You make 17 seperate pieces. Some are just a disc and some have a crank throw and a race in the center with a square milled on the end. The disks have a square milled in the center. The piece with the crrank throw is pressed into the disk using the square to index the throws at 90 degrees from each other. Oh yah, dont forget to slip the bearings on as you go. Ask me how i know! :-[

Hi Steve, I think what CallMeAl was asking was how you got the bearings on the camshafts?
George

Latest posts

Back