Steam in America

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davyboy

Reaction score
Hi to all, Haven't been posting for a while, but I saw something cool last week. On the TV, I saw something about a
CornishPumpingEngine (link)
Located in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, It's about a 2 hour drive from my home in Wisconsin, I went for a visit. Yes, it's patterned after engines used in Cornwall, England.
Pump01.jpg

This thing is huge. The crank is in a pit about 10 feet deep, and the cylinders tower above your head. It is painted nicely but there is no steam boiler present, and the rods from piston to crosshead are missing. Sadly, it probably won't run again. There are few more pictures Here I enjoyed seeing it, but I'm glad the admission fee was only $5.oo It's pretty neat, a good stop if you're ever in the area. DB

Bernd, that's a very interesting article. Both of my grandfathers were railroad engineers in the steam age. I noticed in the article that they didn't like the look of the traditional steam loco, I love the way they look and smell. All that aside, I don't think the 'greens' would allow all that smoke and mostly steam exhaust to haul tons and tons of goods long distance. better to die by a thousand cuts with diesel trucks everywhere, spewing smaller amounts by many trucks. (sigh)
DB

Latest posts

Back