Started a new twin cylinder engine.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been thinking about building that engine myself. The closest I cam was modeling it in SolidWorks.

DOUBLE DIAGONAL ENGINE.JPG

vascon2196 said:
I've been thinking about building that engine myself. The closest I cam was modeling it in SolidWorks.

Funny vascon2196

I'm very sure the engine you show, is my design

assy-3.jpg

DX330059.jpg

Mogens

See what you've done now Tel?

Copyright infringrements all over the shop.... I can see this being slugged out in the international court of appeals....

8)

M_Kilde

Funny vascon2196
I'm very sure the engine you show, is my design

The model drawing and the engine that you show are indeed nice work but should not be compared with the work that Tel has done in this post. The similarity is obvious but it appears to be superficial at most in that it shows an inverted V two cyl engine however the differences in execution are too numerous to list.

Early in Tel's thread, he showed a photograph of the original engine that he was going to reproduce. To my eye, his reproduction is closer to the original than is yours and is an true work of originality that is beautifully done and well presented.

It is obvious that you have invested a great deal of time and energy in your version of this engine. Both the design and implementation are very nicely done and represent work that you can be proud of.

In my opinion, Tel did not use your design.

Jerry

I dont think there was any insinuation that there is any design grabs on Tels part Capt. I think M_kilde is discussing Vascon pic and not Tels design. They are both clearly very different from Tels, as you point out.

Cheers

Rob

That was the impression I had as well. Certainly my work is all original, built from the pic of the prototype posted early in the thread and with a dose of imaginitis added. I think I also stated early, that there are at least 2 commercial (drawings and castings) models of the same general configuration but vastly different in construction.

Having watched this project progress and being familiar with the engine as a potential future project of my own, I can safely vouch for the fact that Tel's work is indeed derived from his own perspective of a historical and fairly well documented engine design.

Now.... let's not go letting tempers flare up over this one. I don't want to have to lock up a thread this popular.

Steve

Hi All

I'm affraid some of you got me wrong, the work of Tel is indeed his own, and a very good looking project, far more close in construction to the original engine than mine.

What , well lets say upset me a little, is that vascon2196 says he is constructing an engine in solid works that is actually my design.

I'm sorry my post could indicate that I should have any problem with Tel's work.

Let me get in here and stir the pot.---Vascon2196 said that he had MODELLED an engine in Solidworks. He did not imply that it was his original design. Nor did he imply that he was "constructing" the engine. I model many things in Solidworks that interest me, but that doesn't make them "My" design. True, if I DESIGN something on my own, and then model it, then it becomes "mine". However, many times I will model an engine that someone else has originally designed in order to fully understand how it works, and because I admire the design. To have your engine "modelled" by any 3D cad designer is one of the highest forms of flattery. It means that he found your engine so interesting that he wanted to model it to study how it worked and looked. I think we are discussing semantics here. To design something implies that you are the originator of that something. To model it means simply that.--You admired the DESIGN so you MODELLED it.----Gets kinda crazy, doesn't it.----Brian

Hi Again

Ok I'm flattered - would prefer to the person behind a design, and not a cross old man

Onya Mogens - life's too short for 'cross'!

On another note, you might find this familiar - doing it in x 1.5 with a few of my usual modifications

Brian Rupnow said:
Let me get in here and stir the pot.---Vascon2196 said that he had MODELLED an engine in Solidworks. He did not imply that it was his original design. Nor did he imply that he was "constructing" the engine. I model many things in Solidworks that interest me, but that doesn't make them "My" design. True, if I DESIGN something on my own, and then model it, then it becomes "mine". However, many times I will model an engine that someone else has originally designed in order to fully understand how it works, and because I admire the design. To have your engine "modelled" by any 3D cad designer is one of the highest forms of flattery. It means that he found your engine so interesting that he wanted to model it to study how it worked and looked. I think we are discussing semantics here. To design something implies that you are the originator of that something. To model it means simply that.--You admired the DESIGN so you MODELLED it.----Gets kinda crazy, doesn't it.----Brian

Thank you Brian...I could not have said it better myself. All I did was model the engine (which I think was in Home Shop Machinist magazine) in Solid Works to watch it operate. I guess it's a hobby of mine....to find a cool and unique engine and model it and try to have it operate as the real engine would. Just recently did I begin to move from the 3D model to the actual manufacturing of the engine.

I have NO engines that are "my own design", they have all be done before but usually not in Solid Works.

Thanks again...you hit the nail right on the head.

Chris (vascon2196)

Latest posts

Back