Start on a long term project

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ron

I've missed this for some reason, but must have posted at some point as I rediscovered it under "show replies". That may have been a while back, but as you know I've now got an interest in your thread so I'll be paying more than a bit of attention.

Are you planning to do the brakes? I've just checked you frames in post #1 and the mounting holes don't seem to be there. I only ask because mine doesn't have any and having it in steam 3 feet off the ground in the steaming bay and nothing to stop it going anywhere is a bit uncomfortable. OK a couple of G clamps or a rod through the wheel spokes can do the job, but its not a very flash solution. I plan to put the mounting pillars on the frame while I can. The rest of it can then be re-trofitted later quite easily. Drilling and tapping the holes in the frames with the boiler in place would not seem a good idea.

regards

Pete

Pete,

I did take it apart and drill it for brakes based on the "Super Simplex" design
but not sure at this time if I will actually fit them. If and when it runs on air will determine my course of action.

Ron

ozzie46 said:
Pete,

I did take it apart and drill it for brakes based on the "Super Simplex" design
but not sure at this time if I will actually fit them. If and when it runs on air will determine my course of action.

Ron

Ron

That's my plan as well. I'll also add the hangers as they have back nuts, I think, and then its not a major strip down to finish the brakes at some point later.

So you aren't doing the Super Simplex? Why is that? you have the opportunity to incorporate some of the "improvements". Although I forget the list, a lot of them can be incorporated on a standard Simplex making it a bit of a hybrid. That said, I don't think there's such a thing as 'standard' Simplex. Mine came with a folder that described it as "Extended" I knew it was longer than the drawings but I had no idea why until I stripped it down and found the frames have 3" extensions on the rear for a bigger cab.

BTW did I say you are doing a great job there.

Pete

I started the project before I had any information on the Super Simplex or even knew there was one. I am doing the improved feed pump though. Have the material for the pump body but am waiting on some 7/16 stainless for the ram. Bought 5 feet of the stuff. At $15 for the bar from Fastenal (no connection, just a customer)it was a better deal than $12 plus shipping for 1 foot from a supplier out of Florida and its 303 too.

quote; BTW did I say you are doing a great job there.;quote

You did now. ;D ;D ;D

Ron

I have all the motion works done except the eccentric rods and when I try to turn the wheels with the radius rod in the center of the expansion link the combination lever seems to be at full travel in the slide valve spindle fork and binds up locking up everything at forward dead center.

Everything is hooked up except the eccentric rod. Is this normal and if not what do I do about it? If I raise or lower the radius rods then I can get the wheels to turn past forward dead center I've remeasured my holes and everything seems to plan, but I don't know.

Ron in Colorado

Ron

My Simplex is a pile of bits at the moment scattered around the workshop. Do you have the Martin Evans book? I'll take a look at my copy and see if I can come up with some ideas.

Another source of information maybe the valve gear models like Dockstader or Allan Wallace. http://avocetconsulting.com.au/modeleng/ I think there is a Simplex simulation in here. Elsewhere, you'll find comments on the valve gear design, in particular a suggestion that Martin Evans didn't understand Walschaerts gear. Don't let that deter you though the hundreds of Simplex built attest to the fact it isn't that bad.

regards

Pete

Thanks Pete, I'll give it a try.

Finally got a reply on the other forum and the guy said he had to file away at the valve spindle fork to get enough travel. He put a chamfer in the bottom of the fork.

Ron

Hi Ozzie,

My limited experience on a completely different model, was that there were numerous points at which the valve gear locked up.

Take a very close look at all the pivot points across the limits of travel for the reverser.

Good luck :)

Smifffy

Ron

I've spent a day on the Simplex, drilling frames for brake hangers. stripping old paint and making a start on replacement driver pins. So I'm back into looking at the drawings and getting my head around the Simplex.

So to answer your question

6007.jpg

I should have gone out an dug out the cylinders from under the bench when you first asked.

Pete

Hi Pete

Just read you're thread through great work ?

I'm now the proud owner of a 90% complete supper Simplex

IMG_36792.jpg

So its of particluar interest.

Cheers

Stew

Stew

You realise this is Rons thread, but I should start one of my own. Yours is looking quiet tidy, the boiler looks different to the standard round top. So what needs to be done to finish it?

There's a good set of Simplex threads over on the MECH site.

Pete

Thanks for the pics Pete. I've got it sorted out now, filed a champher in the bottom half of the valve spindle forks so the wheels will go round and round now. ;D ;D

Stew, Thanks for posting a pic of your Super Simplex. The more the merrier. It gives me a good reference as to what a Simplex should look like. Drawings are fine to work to but a picture gives my feeble brain something to really get hold of.

I bought a new X 3 type mill from Grizzly ( the G7040) and been getting it set up plus redooing th kichten and dining area floors from vinyl tile to Pergo flooring. (Have to pay the piper for the new mill ya know) :big: :big: :big: So haven't done much lately.
Hope to get back to it soon.

Ron

Ron

Ron

Good news on the X3, I thought you were getting on well with what you had. But more equipment has to be good. I went to check the version and a G7040 is a carbide tipped tool. So do you have the G0619 or G0463? Whatever, You’ll now have to get that kitchen finished and get DRO’s fitted. They turn the mill from nice to outstanding.

Pete

OOPS!! Should have been G0704. Am in the middle of home brewing a power feed for the table, or was until the floor thing came up. Will post pics in appropriate forum when I can.

Ron

( Will post pics in appropriate forum when I can. )

Wrong word ,meant to say appropriate thread.

Ron

doubletop said:
Stew

You realise this is Rons thread, but I should start one of my own. Yours is looking quiet tidy, the boiler looks different to the standard round top. So what needs to be done to finish it?

There's a good set of Simplex threads over on the MECH site.

Pete

Bugger got that wrong:--- sorry Guys :big: :big:

Stew

Hi Ron

Now up to date with this one, boy I sure take my hat off to you guys who embark on a project of this complexity and duration, you deserve medals for stamina. I will be watching until it goes Chuff Chuff

Best Regards

Les

Latest posts

Back