Long term project in Fusion 360. Beyer Peacock 0-4-0 5" loco.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCSteam

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
This is planned as a very long term project. So don't expect to see regular updates here.

The loco is a Beyer Peacock Well Tank 0-4-0 locomotive built for the Great Northern Railway. Only two were built numbered No.13 & No.14, and its taken me a year to source a usable drawing which was originally drawn out and shown in a book called Locomotive Engineering and the Mechanism of Railways Vol II, Written by Colburn Zerah 1832-1870. The Illustrations are all D K Clark's work. I want to build it without cab in original form in 1856, both loco's having been reboilered and an addition of a cab later, as well as the dome been moved. In my opinion it became a bit of an ugly duckling after the rebuild but they carried on until 1916. Both been scrapped. Prior to finding the drawing i only had three pictures of the loco.
Screenshot_20200707-103302_Gallery
Screenshot_20200707-103021_Gallery

An image of its rebuilt form can be seen here

These are the plans I found in the book, which is on Google books if anyone is interest in a read.

Screenshot_20200708-220444_Messenger

Screenshot_20200708-220452_Messenger

Screenshot_20200708-220523_Messenger

So far I've made a little progress drawing it out, however i have hit a few issues the hornblocks I need to reduce in size, and also need to look at the cylinders too as I had to space them out, and one of the positions for the cylinder posts seems to have moved. Before anyone says, yes the wheels will need quartering, but this will come once I can fix components together and animate it to check it works, without interference.

This is where progress is currently. If you click on the link it'll take you to screencast page where you'll be able to view the short video of it been drawn and 360 views as well as the cock up on the cylinders and hornblocks, I appolagies in advance for the background noise I wasn't aware it was recording sound, and the computers fan works overtime on running the fusion program
Link
Thanks in advance for any assistance and advice.

Regards
Jon

I've been looking, so far 5" Gert is a design is promising for cylinders but need more info on the cylinder layout and dimensions. The beauty of the fusion is that if the cylinders change then I can always go back to the beginning and change it without changing any other features unless I need or wish to.
Wheels
Cast hornblocks instead of built
The wheels would need reprofiling mostly I think with files, there's only four of them at least to get rid of the chunky balance weight. Which from the plans and the photos, strangely seems to be missing. The original locos in full size weren't great which with my skills I'm sure I can emulate the prototype in that respect 😂

I'm following Curlys (LBSC's) dimensions a lot of the way, but trying to learn valve gearing from the teachings of the late Don Young. There is a lot of info out there if you search for it. Hopefully with some learned knowledge of this aspect of miniature valve gear I can hope the loco will perform better in scale than the full size prototype. My study of Beyer Peacock drawings, show that they would likely have used the same patterns for their locos on a lot of their parts. Dimensions are very similar on the K1 and GVT tram loco, for the hornblocks and axleboxes for example. It's fair to assume that the connecting rods, axleboxes, hornblocks and other linkages are similar to the K1 which I have a full prototype plan set for.

As I say it will be a long study and build in fusion, mainly to learn the program. I recently did a small occilator engine to learn how the animated function in fusion worked. Once you understand it, it is actually simple. But certain axis and movements need different functions to work. The occilator was the simplest I could get that incorporates the functions I needed on a steam loco. Roundy round, and slidy slide.
Jon

Back