Start on a long term project

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozzie46

Reaction score

Well I have made a small step on my Loco build. It is the model engineer "Simplex".

Here are the frames leaning against what will become the cyl stock.

DSC02789.jpg

This build may take quite a while to complete so please bear with me.

All comments and advice are eagerly sought.

Quite a bit of hacksaw and file work went into the frames. Another needed skill to practice for my foray into machining. ;D ;D ;D

The frames are still bolted together as I don't want to separate them til I'm sure I don't need to do more on them. They were cut and drilled as a unit to make sure everything lined up.

Ron

Very Nice start Ron,

4-6-4 and what gauge? Looks like it will be pretty big!

Tony

Yep, you are well on the way Ron.

This build may take quite a while to complete so please bear with me.

;D Mine took 5 years (1985-1990) - count on around 500 hours for the running chassis.

Tony: 0-6-0 in 5" g

Thanks Tel,
I have the Shay and Climax books.......someday....Shay most likely!!

Tony

Thanks Tony, Tel.

Tel , I might be bending your ear on this one.

Ron

The beast in question. Been in drydock for a few years now - needs work.
simplex.jpg

Very Nice Tel,
Now I understand the 5 yrs
Break her out of moth balls and lets hear the woo-woo

Tony

Looks good Tel.
Is that a mechanical lubricator on the running board by the cyl?

Ron

Good start, Ron. First step is always the hardest, they say.
I expect to be around for a while, (don't we all?). Hope to see this one puffing along one day.

I don't know track gages and such. Not even sure if track is a gage or a guage. How far apart are the rails for this model?

Dean

Dean, Thanks. I don't know beans about gages either but looking at the drawing for the axle I'm guessing 5" . I just turned 63 in Nov so Lord willing I'll last til its done. :big: :big:

I'm in the process of cutting up the tractor weight for the cyls. There are a lot of bumps and knobs that need to be cleaned off too. Sure glad I have 4 x6 metal saw.

Zee. I'm glad your here. I learn a lot from your post. We are both newbies but you seem to have a knack for getting right to the crux of a problem and getting the right answers.

ALL ABOARD!!

Ron

Is that a mechanical lubricator on the running board by the cyl?

It sure is, but not the Martin Evans specified type. It's a design by Jim Ewins where the output is determined by a spacer between two O rings that the plunger works through.

Tel Is that a mechanical lubricator on the running board by the cyl?

Ron

tel said:
It sure is, but not the Martin Evans specified type. It's a design by Jim Ewins where the output is determined by a spacer between two O rings that the plunger works through.

And that my friends sums up my whole knowledge of Locos. Boy what have I gotten myself into. :big: :big: :big:

FUN, thats what. Rof} Rof} Rof}

Ron

ozzie46 said:
And that my friends sums up my whole knowledge of Locos. Boy what have I gotten myself into. :big: :big: :big:

Don't take this the wrong way....

That's good news for people like me. It means you're going to be describing things that you otherwise wouldn't.

Glad somebody else is mad enough to work on one of these ;D

I'll be following your build with great interest, Ron. I'm working on a Super Simplex. I've got the frames bolted together and I'm working on axles and axleboxes at the moment.

Keep those pics coming!

Gordon

Heres an what I been up to so far.

DSC02791.jpg

DSC02793.jpg

DSC02795.jpg

DSC02796.jpg

Got the frames together and started on the buffer beams.
I have the angle in for the beams. They are bolted to the frames and are supposed to be riveted to the beams, but I was wondering if it might not be better to tap the beams and lock tight screws in and file them off flush with the front of the beams. The rivets were supposed to be filed off too.

Ron

A friend of mine gave me some ductile cast iron for the cyls. That stuff is nice.

It machines in little 6s and 9s. like steel.

He gave me 2 of the round bars 5in by 6.250. Sure is heavy. He said it is "continuous cast".

I got 2 cyls out of one piece so I have plenty left for something else. 5in face plate maybe?

The cyls are supposed to be 3x 2.750x2.375, these are not to finish size yet.

I am going to try to do like "gbritnell" does and profile them and make them look like a casting. Wish me luck.

Ron

Latest posts

Back