stand alone lathe and mill vs combo

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atkinson582

Reaction score
hello,

I am new here and I am wanting to buy a lathe and a mill and would love to hear your thoughts. What would be better for a beginner like me a lathe and mill combo or standalone machines. I have never used either machine before but I am very interested in building a model engine. Thank you in advance.

How much space and how much money is available?
I have a Boxford 4,5 inch lathe and a BFV 25 milling machine and dream of building up to 50 mm bore engines with strokes of up to 75 mm.
Machines are in my entrance that is 2m wide and 3m long.

Niels Abildgaard,

space is not an issue. I will be setting up my shop in my basement. I'm just not sure if a combo lathe and mill would be better than the standalone units. I just don't want to buy the wrong machines.

If you snoop through all the online posts I think you will find that if
[a] space is not a constraint, and
you have the budget

Individual machines are typically regarded as the way to go. A combo means you make compromises on work area for the mill and possible hassle factor for the lathe. With individual machines you avoid those compromises. It also means you do not have to muck about with changing setups as you move between machines where as on a combo you will typically need to reconfigure setup as you move between lathe and milling functions.

Cheers,
James.

joco-nz,

thanks for your reply .... ill most likely go with the individual machines :thumbup:

Every one I have ever spoken to that has a combination mill and lathe regret that they didn't purchase two separate machines.

joco-nz,

thanks for your reply .... ill most likely go with the individual machines :thumbup:

The other thing to consider which is probably obvious so forgive me if it sounds like I'm doing a "sucking eggs" moment, given you are looking at a basement workshop think hard about access and how much weight you can handle through that access.

Trying to get a 600kg lathe down a flight of stairs might not be viable. Even something in the 100kg area is going to need some planning. People do it but it does take some thinking.

Cheers,
James.

In your situation it must be 2 machines.Size depends on what you want to do
I prefer sieg size up Myford size.Lots of extras can be transferred from
machine to machine if you think about it first.Collet sets,chucks and faceplts
from lathe to RT in the mill.Read lots of posts here and ask questions before you jump

Every one I have ever spoken to that has a combination mill and lathe regret that they didn't purchase two separate machines.

Including me. My transition from 3 in 1 to 2 separate machines is on this thread:
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/showthread.php?t=19885

The upgrade just gave me so much more flexibility and more to the point much more rigid machines which meant I was 40% more productive for the boring repetitive lathe stuff that paid for my toys..... What I used to have to use a 4 jaw chuck for I can now do in my 3 jaw so that saves heaps of time.

3 in 1's make a very poor mill and the lathe I had was also very average. Plus you have to tear down stuff on the mill when you want the lathe. On the bright side, it was an inexpensive way to find out if I really wanted to lean how to be a machinist. A drill press was very necessary but I flogged it off to make room for my mill and I don't even miss it now.

Universal machines are somewhat like universal automotive accessories: one size almost fits all but does not quite fit any.

SSame here Rod,i sold the drill press when I bought the mill
and its so superior,especially for drilling accurate centres
no need to mark out anymore,just pop the first hole

Thanks guys I appreciate all the reply’s. I have a walk-in basement so it really won’t be a problem setting up shop. I am completely new to this hobby so I have a-lot to learn yet. I think I will defiantly go with separate machines but now I’ll need to figure out what brand to buy. I still have lots of research to do but I’m getting excited to buy some machines and get started.

Not sure where you are from but in the US there is a lot of good used machines available. A lot are larger than needed but if you have good access to you work area Full size Bridgeports and 10 to 15" swing lathes are very available.
Mike

BB218,

I am from the USA and since I am new to this hobby I am a little skeptical on buying used machines. I have never even used a lathe or a mill so I really wouldn’t even know what to look for on a used machine to be able to tell if it’s in good enough shape to buy or not.

My self if have space for one each I have both. Some time need just one little thing on the lathe or mill then would to have to down set up. :thumbup:

If do not have space combo will work :hDe:

Dave

hello,

I am new here and I am wanting to buy a lathe and a mill and would love to hear your thoughts. What would be better for a beginner like me a lathe and mill combo or standalone machines. I have never used either machine before but I am very interested in building a model engine. Thank you in advance.

BB218,

I am from the USA and since I am new to this hobby I am a little skeptical on buying used machines. I have never even used a lathe or a mill so I really wouldn’t even know what to look for on a used machine to be able to tell if it’s in good enough shape to buy or not.

A couple of things:

New hobby class lathes from China often need a bit of maintenance and tuning right out of the box. Now buying used can be a problem, can't dismiss that, but consider getting input from somebody you respect locally. It is sort of like a house inspection, sometimes a third eye can do wonders for your perception of value.

As for the type of machinery I wouldn't go the 3 in 1 route at all. Don't even consider it. If you don't have the money or space consider a bigger lathe first. In fact from my perspective I'd get a lathe first and learn how to use it well, build up your tooling and do a couple of engines designed for lathe only construction. While nice you don't need a mill to start with. A mill could be considered a distraction actually keeping you from becoming one with your lathe.

Speaking of lathes, do realize that purchasing a machine is just the start of your expenses. To make use of the lathe you need to buy a lot of stuff. Figure on an array of expenses equal to the cost of the lathe itself (buying new). Note though that a lot of stuff can be had used. The list : (others please add)
1. A bench grinder.
2. A 1" belt sander/grinder (optional at the start)
3. Micrometers.
4. Squares
5. A 6" caliper,
6. Scales.
7. Wrenches
8. Hammers, especially soft hammers.
9. Work holding hardware, especially toe clamps, t nuts bolts and etc.
10. Lighting. Don't forget this one especially in a basement.
11. Eye protection and other safety gear.
12. HSS tooling
13. A set of drill bits. I prefer that you buy a large set of high quality ones at the start.
14. A hack saw!
15. A large selection of quality files.
16. If the lathe requires it a large and very strong work bench.
17. A tool box. You will want this sooner or later, especially after realizing how much money good tools cost you.
18. A dehumidifier, most basement shops require this.
19. Center drills
20. Misc hand tools. (Screwdrivers and the like)

Gotta run but this is a start!

If you are new to the game then I would go the smaller more manageable route
and later if favourable go bigger.Cant see the advantage of going for 2 ton machines in a basement when you have such a long learning curve ahead
Some of us have spent 50yrs or more in the trade and are still learning
Personally and from experience I would go the sieg route with a lathe and a
mill at nom $1000 each.Probably $1000 for additional tooling and your learning curve would be to make a simple engine,free download and more tooling
Capacity even with these small lathes is tremendous.Later if you have the room and the need you can go to bigger machines and STILL KEEP the small ones.Best of both worlds

Advice is adding up rapidly.

Large machines most likely require that you install wiring for them. Even if you only get small machines you may need to beef up the wiring in your shop area.

If you're just getting started, small is maybe the best, but not the smallest.

The best approach is to start small, attempt some small projects that help you learn. Don't buy everything at once: buy what you need to get started on simple projects, then let your learning curve help you decide what to buy next.

I recommend starting with known materials: Mystery Metal can cause frustration when you don't know what you have. There are also a few things out there that are hazardous or at least dangerous if you don't know what they are (i.e.: Beryllium Copper, Magnesium, Lead, etc.)

There are many good videos on YouTube and more than a few good books.

Many of us start with Elmer's Engines. You can find them and some other projects plans for free at John-Tom.com

Others please add to the list

--ShopShoe

Thank you all for your reply’s

Wizard69….. I guess I’m on my own as I really don’t know anyone that knows anything about a lathe or a mill but I’m ok with buying new and having to do a bit of maintenance and tuning (with yawls help of course). I agree on everyone’s suggestions on buying separate machines and I’m still trying to figure out what would be the best brand to buy. As for the tools I could use all the help I can get with this as well.

1. Bench grinder ( I already have one)
2. 1” belt sander (what brand is a good one and where do I buy it)
3. Micrometers (what brand is a good one and where do I buy it)
4. Squares (I have one but any recommendations of various ones are welcome)
5. 6” caliper (where would I buy this)
6. Scales (where would I buy Scales at)
7. Wrenches (I already own a bunch)
8. Hammers (I already own a standard hammer but where do I buy soft hammers)
9. Holding hardware (where to buy)
10. Lighting (already own)
11. Eye protection (got it covered)
12. HSS tooling (what is HSS and where do I buy)
13. Drill bits (where would I be able to buy high quality bits and what would be the name brand)
14. Hack saw (I have a standard one but any recommendations welcome)
15. Files ( I own a few but I’m sure there not very good …. Need recommendations here as well)
16. Work bench for the lathe (got it covered)
17. Tool box ( I already have 3 one for garage one for trailer and one for basement (my son races motocross) but I’ll buy one just for machining
18. Dehumidifier (I already have one in the basement but soon I’ll have to use a humidifier due to using a woodstove
19. Center drills ( I need recommendations here as well)
20. Misc. hand tools (I’m pretty sure I have this covered as well)

Shopshoe….. once I get some tools and a lathe I will order some materials from online metals. I also plan on buying some books

1. “miniature internal combustion engines”
2. “model 4-stroke gasoline engines”
3. Machine shop practice volume 1 and 2
4. Text-book of advanced machine works

I looked at the john-tom.com website and found that the wobbler engine would be a good start for a newbie like me.

Again thanks for all the reply’s

Thank you all for your reply’s

Wizard69….. I guess I’m on my own as I really don’t know anyone that knows anything about a lathe or a mill but I’m ok with buying new and having to do a bit of maintenance and tuning (with yawls help of course). I agree on everyone’s suggestions on buying separate machines and I’m still trying to figure out what would be the best brand to buy. As for the tools I could use all the help I can get with this as well.

1. Bench grinder ( I already have one)
2. 1” belt sander (what brand is a good one and where do I buy it)
Kalamazoo or a couple of other American made units are available. If not an import. Note you can get by without this when starting a shop but they are handy for deburring and even sharpening stuff
3. Micrometers (what brand is a good one and where do I buy it)
Starreted and Mitutoyo are acknowledged as better brands. There are however a number of other perfectly good brands and then there are imports from China. Also don't discount used.

As for buying new there are many outlets for machinist tools. The big catalog industrial suppliers are places Like MSC, Travers, Crosby and a whole bunch of others depending upon your location.
4. Squares (I have one but any recommendations of various ones are welcome)
The first thing I would do is to question the squareness of your current square. To get started I'd suggest a combination machinist squares with three heads. One head being the square, one being a protractor and one being a centering head. Personally I like these but it is a big initial expense to get started. Instead you might want to consider a small machinist square.
5. 6” caliper (where would I buy this)
6. Scales (where would I buy Scales at)
For places to buy note the above mentioned supplier but there are literally hundreds of places to buy machinist tools. Even Woodcraft a chain of stores focused on woodwork has a selection of Machinist grade tools.
7. Wrenches (I already own a bunch)
8. Hammers (I already own a standard hammer but where do I buy soft hammers)
9. Holding hardware (where to buy)
10. Lighting (already own)
Don't be surprised if it isn't good enough. The issue of lighting constantly frustrates me.
11. Eye protection (got it covered)
12. HSS tooling (what is HSS and where do I buy)
Whoops excuse the abbreviations. HSS = High Speed Steel. Here I talking about often square HSS bits used on a lathe. Usually this steel is supplied as small blanks that must be ground for a specific use.

Note for lathe usage you can also buy what is called insert tooling that is a combination of a holder and a pre sharpened insert. These are great but you really need to learn to work with and sharpen HSS as sooner or latter you will need a customs ground cutter that insert tooling can't cover economically. Also HSS tooling is cheaper.
13. Drill bits (where would I be able to buy high quality bits and what would be the name brand)
Lately I've been disappointed with brand name drill bits, this from two different suppliers. Quality control seems to have slipped with the advent of cheap imports. Given that I'd look for a set of fractional, letter and number sized drills from one of the catalog dealers mentioned above. Often these go on sale. If you are in metric land you still need a fairly large set of drill bits.

In any event these complete sets come in a indexed box that helps keep everything organized.
14. Hack saw (I have a standard one but any recommendations welcome)
15. Files ( I own a few but I’m sure there not very good …. Need recommendations here as well)
Actually there is no such thing as a bad file in my mind. If the file is worn out it can be retasked for other things.
16. Work bench for the lathe (got it covered)
17. Tool box ( I already have 3 one for garage one for trailer and one for basement (my son races motocross) but I’ll buy one just for machining
The issue is some of your machinist tools will need protection from the jumble that is most tool boxes. This is why "machinist toolboxes" often have a lot of thin drawers. You really don't want precision and frankly expensive tools getting banged around in a normal tool box.
18. Dehumidifier (I already have one in the basement but soon I’ll have to use a humidifier due to using a woodstove
19. Center drills ( I need recommendations here as well)
20. Misc. hand tools (I’m pretty sure I have this covered as well)

Shopshoe….. once I get some tools and a lathe I will order some materials from online metals. I also plan on buying some books
If you have a local steel supplier that sells drops at a discount you can save a lot of money on steel from such a supplier.
1. “miniature internal combustion engines”
2. “model 4-stroke gasoline engines”
3. Machine shop practice volume 1 and 2
4. Text-book of advanced machine works
I might note that there are a lot of online resources that will help,with learning to use a lathe. Everything from really old and out of print books in PDF files to US Military manuals in PDF.

Beyond all of that there is a huge number of guys doing some really impressive YouTube videos. Kieth Fenner is one, MrPete is another, OXTools and a bunch of others, have a good number of videos online. These guys fall,under the heading of really knowing what they are doing. MRPete has several hundred short videos that walk you through from the very beginning when it comes to machine shop basics.
I looked at the john-tom.com website and found that the wobbler engine would be a good start for a newbie like me.

Again thanks for all the reply’s

It should be noted that I didn't cover expendable so in detail. I mentioned HSS for the lathe but eventually you will need things like taps and dies. Right now I would suggest buying as needed for taps and dies. I prefer HSS taps over the carbon steel ones that come in the cheaper sets. In fact I don't even consider the carbon steel sets to be worth investing in. It isn't confinement because you need to buy a new tap everytime you need a new size but it is far chooser than trying to buy a HSS set of decent quality. Besides for taps you can buy in 3 piece hand tap sets for each size. Thus you get a taper, plug and bottom tap in one purchase. At least for me it makes more sense to get your bottom tap at the same time you get your taper tap as there is often a need to have the bottom tap available.

Other expendable include stones or diamond plates for sharpening stuff. You will also benefit from,smaller stones or sticks to deburr with. In fact there are all sorts of deburring tools one can buy. One can start with the basics though. Oh and diamond dressers for grinding wheels are very handy to have because a clean flat grinding wheel is one key to,successful grinding of HSS.

You may also find yourself in need of counter sinks, counter bore tools and other special purpose cutters. These can be bought as needed. Or now that you have a lathe you can start to consider making cutters. Making a cutter is one way to get a bit of skill in hardening and tempering of tools steels.

Latest posts

Back