stainless for the cylinder

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hexbasher

Reaction score
ok, my first lil engine i'm thinkin of making is a vacuum engine (jan ridder's)

at my shop i work at, we're a vendor for a large pump company and we do their shaft nuts, seals and friction bearings (as well as other misc stuff)

so i heard that for this type of engine there's some problems with AL for the cylinders....i'm not sure what kind of AL people are using (the only kind i have alot on hand at the shop is 6061)

bronze, we have lots of it, the kind thats afew hundred per inch...big to small, etc...this is all bearing bronze, perfect material

we have all sorts of steels, but little cast iron (the perfered material)..about 6 inches of a solid 12 diameter is all i think we have..

...but we also have alot of stainless, including bearing stainless (the self-lubricating kind, the AISI-SAE numbers escape me)

whatcha think? anyone try this before?any kind of stainless?

I HATE STAINLESS!

I've never tried stainless for a cylinder myself.
When I hear the term stainless it brings thoughts of running head first
into a stone wall. :shock:
Not all grades are that bad. But for the most parts stainless is tough to
work with. It's hard and gummy at the same time. It work hardens
quickly if it is cut dry, and getting a tool to break a chip is a real trick.

My thoughts on the material may just be from having difficulties at work
with a management member asking "HOW SOON?"
At any rate I avoid it like the plague in my home shop.

Rick

I kind of like SS. However, don't dwell with the tool,keep it cutting cause it will work harden quick.

1Kenny said:
I kind of like SS. However, don't dwell with the tool,keep it cutting cause it will work harden quick.

i know a thing or two about stainless...(i work in a jobber shop)..machine hardox 600 , inconel, or whatever hardened BS material....S/S seems like brass to me...machining s/s is not a concern....my question was about s/s as a choice of material for cylinder

Hi,
I think you can discount SS as being useable for licker engines, the friction alone will stop it running. These engines have so little power even oiling them can prevent them running, and SS is renowned for having 'stiction'.

John

Hi
What about old cam shafts from cars, machines very well and also makes good bearings.

Cheers Kevin

My experience with SS (valves for an English kit of a 4 stroke engine) was traumatic. However, I have found that some SS bolts are made of such a steel that is agreeable and can be easily worked in the lathe provided the tool is very sharp indeed. Work hardening is always a possibility.
Try an old largish SS bolt !

George

Do not use stainless on rubbing or running fits. It galls horribly.

Latest posts

Back