Source for 1/8 endmills (and other small ones also

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kf2qd

Reaction score
I am neding some 1/8 endmills and not wanting to pay a high price for something I know I am going to break (dmb thumbs on the CNC...).

I got my last batch from a vendor at NAMES a few years back and have managed to bust the last one. Those I got for a buck a piece (plus the drive from South Bend) but as I now live down in the Rio Grande Valley I don't have a replacement source.

Anyone have any likely sources?

Thanks

Spend a few extra bucks and get the good stuff. I've had very good luck with Kyocera Dataflute series. Don't bother with anything but 2 flutes, though I got some three flute recently from a US manufacturer that are pretty good.

If you Ebay, there are a few sellers that always have some decent brands available at good prices.

I second Bogs' recommendation - remarkably good quality at throw away prices and reasonable delivery times even unto the wilds of Oz.

I didnt think the wilds of OZ were that far from China. ;D

1/8 is small, but still stocked by most machine tool dealers anywhere. I bought a 12pack of assorted 1/16-2.0mm carbide ones that are commonly used in circuit board manufacture, for only a few dollars. You can find those on ebay or sometimes the local discount tool store, as they are popular with the dremel crowd.

One thing to realise about bits that are smaller than about 1/8" and especially carbide.

Even the slightest bit out of track on your cutter holder, too little spindle speed, too heavy a cut or feed speed and you will end up throwing them away.
People always blame their cutters, never themselves. I can count on one hand how many small cutters I have broken in the last year, in fact the last two years. Most of those small bit breakages were caused by not cleaning the swarf away fast enough as I was cutting.

After having used the cheapo Chinese ones now for well over a year, I can't find any difference in the cutting quality at all. In fact, the ball nosed cutters are better, purely because they are very long reach compared to normal priced ones.

Bogs

Get all mine from e-bay,even 1/16",as long as they are new they are OK,good price to.
Don

You're in the U.S. Do what Marv says; Enco. Get Atrax if you want good ones. Get no-name if you
don't care.

Dean

tel said:
I second Bogs' recommendation - remarkably good quality at throw away prices and reasonable delivery times even unto the wilds of Oz.

And I third Bogs' recommendation, I have bought a few orders of endmills and other cutters from richon, and find them perfectly adequate.

Tim

and you will end up throwing them away.

Go wash yer mrf out Bogs! They still make dandy toolbits.

Latest posts

Back