Something for my Mill

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedge

Reaction score
Marv was generous enough to allow me to pirate one of his ideas. I borrowed his small rotary table idea and reworked it a bit to function as I wanted.

The 3 rows of holes, 40, 50 and 60 per row allow for indexing a wide variety of hole combinations. Using this combination one can do patterns of 2,3,4,5 6, 8,10,12,15,20,25,30,40,50 and 60 holes. With a bit on ingenuity, patterns on up to 120 holes are possible. More than enough for the typical model build.

The table indexes against the stop post using 3/16 precision ground dowel pins., It took a bit of hand filing to make the post work with all three rows and still allow for a "squared" table top for set ups. The top is removable, allowing me to use other tops with different functionality. The top plate is indexed by two 3/16 dowel pins so that it is always mounted in the same position. Some of the other tops planned include a small tooling plate, a modified finger plate and a version with interchangeable centering dowels of various sizes for quickly centering pre-drilled parts. A dockable tilting table is also planned.

The semi-circular piece on the end is the table lock/brake which either locks the table in place or allows me to adjust the drag. Since it is a manual table, controlling the drag allows me to do some milling operations without the end mill spinning the table out of control. I left room in the base for future modification, should I decide to make it worm gear driven. Yeah... I know... it's a poor man's tool and hardly a substitute for the real deal, but for now its going to have to do.

Getting to work with larger chunks of material was refreshing. The project proved that the modified 7 inch lathe will work just fine out to a 6 inch diameter. It also added some much needed capability to my mill. Good project and one I've enjoyed completely. This tool just keeps generating ideas and evolving new ways to use it.

Steve

my-rt-4.jpg

my-rt-5.jpg

Lovely bit of work there Steve, swap you a Zeus book for it. :lol:

Jealous John

Thanks Kenny...
I like to try to put a little bit of myself into the things I build. I enjoy going for that extra little effort to not only make things functional but pleasing to my eye. A few extra minutes to break edges, a little lapping where needed and a touch of metal polish are small things that give large results in the final fit and finish. I might be a relative newbie, but I don't want it to show more than it has too...LOL

I love the little flourishes found on old tools. Contours, curves, knurls, beads, accents ... you know the stuff. They were often totally non-essential but they did show a level of pride and craftsmanship sadly missing these days. I'd like to think the little extras I do indicate that I take a little pride in the project, even if they add nothing to the function.

John...
Dunno nothing bout no Zeus book... but if ya got something by Bacchus, I'll give it some thought... LOL. That little engine project you've got going right now is beginning to look real good. I've begun gathering materials for the 4 cylinder project, but I've just encountered an oscillating "water engine" that I might have to try first. I figure cutting my first single cylinder crankshaft is probably a good idea before taking on a 4 cylinder version...LOL

Steve

Steve,
Single cranks are fairly easy and you should have no trouble making one, just a bit of 4 jaw work.
Multiple cranks out of the solid on the other hand can get a bit troublesome, it is not machining the crank that causes the problems, but spending all your time making the jigs and fixtures to hold the damned things while you machine them. That is why I like to go with built up cranks. But you will no doubt sort it out for yourself.

John

Hi Cedge
Nice little table! I bought one much teh same a few years ago it gets a lot of use machining odd nuts from bar as well as a quick n dirty for cutting gears.

You do nice work

Cheers Kevin

Very very nice! I would imagine that it is a very handy addition to the arsenal.

Thanks guys...
It was an interesting project and one I think will be used more often than I originally suspected. Fitting it with a dockable tilt table will be the next iteration. I've also got two engines currently under design, a couple of other tools I want to build and the holidays approaching. So many project ideas... so little time.

Hey Bog...
I got the "Der Cheapmiester" Cretors engine and governor drawings in the other day. Not a bad score for the price...LOL. Should be able to reduce and modify things nicely when the time comes for a small governor.

Steve

Steve,

At one time the best three things in my life were a drink before, and a smoke after.

Now the two best things are cheap or free. Doesn't life change as you get older.

Now about these cheapo drawings.......

John

Cliff
I'll post more photos of this project in the near future. I'm caught up in a rush to get a small steam engine company through the Christmas rush, for the time being, but things should slow down a bit by New Years. I've given this tool its first test run, using it to turn a 6"x6" square piece of aluminum plate into an additional 6" round top plate for the tool. Let's just say I was proud enough of the results that you'd have thought I'd grown a third gonad. I've gotten the thick wall aluminum pipe cut, needed to make some of Marv's neato little tie downs, now all I need is some shop time and things will begin to button up quickly.

The other two current projects, stopped in mid stride, are the boring bar radius turner and the new piston style QCTP. Since the Radius Turner will be fitted to the new QCTP, it's sitting on the siding waiting for the tracks to clear. There are more tools to come, as time and temperature permit. In the mean time, feel free to borrow my only clean hanky...(grin) Thanks for the compliments.

Steve

Latest posts

Back