Small V8

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess the gauntlet has been thrown. I will try to build a 9-blader next week when I get back to the shop. I have some tiny mills that I found in a box for circuit boards. 1/8", 1/16"?
This is fun.

stevehuckss396 said:
I used a 1/16 ball nose
I don't know how I can mill the angled blades in a manual mill if they are wider at the tip than the hub. I'm thinking that it might be best to cut the (9) blades out of a single thin sheet of alum, and then press each blade individually into an angle or a curved form, then bolt the 9-blade sheet onto the hub. Ideas?

Mosey said:
I don't know how I can mill the angled blades in a manual mill if they are wider at the tip than the hub. I'm thinking that it might be best to cut the (9) blades out of a single thin sheet of alum, and then press each blade individually into an angle or a curved form, then bolt the 9-blade sheet onto the hub. Ideas?

When I did mine manually I made a square (4 blades) block that the fan was bolted to. Then the block was held at 30 degrees in an angle vise and each blade was cut. Then the block was rotated to the next blade. To do it that way you would need to make a 9 sided block so you can index to the next blade.

My plan is to hold the fan blank in the rotary table, tilt to 30 degrees, then mill each blade, one at a time, rotating the table for each blade (40 degrees) for 9 blades.
We shall see next week.
First project on the list to is to make some adaptor blocks to raise the drivers seat in a German car. 4 Blocks, 3 different versions, German car. One is complicated, angular mill job. German car. Fun, though.

Note that those 9 blades are assymetrical, yet balanced. I am sure there is more then one reason for that, but it cuts down on fan noise.

Lakc said:
Note that those 9 blades are assymetrical, yet balanced. I am sure there is more then one reason for that, but it cuts down on fan noise.
Curiously assymetric, aren't they? I suspect that my engine will not have a problem because of running too fast. I want fan noise!

You see the problem that if the blades are wider at the tip than the hub, then it will be hairy to mill them unless they are flat, and then get twisted into the angle?

Mosey said:
You see the problem that if the blades are wider at the tip than the hub, then it will be hairy to mill them unless they are flat, and then get twisted into the angle?

Mosey, cutting the blades shouldn't be too difficult although you will probably have to cut both sides. Think of the cube within a cube puzzle when you map them out ;)

Getting closer!

I broke a sparkplug so I need to make a few more then it on to the exhaust pipes.

DSCN2034s.jpg

DSCN2032s.jpg

OK here it comes!!

I have started installing the ignition system. The hall sensor is superglued in the distributor body. The magnets are pressed into the disk and loc-tite is also used. I put some temperary wires on the ignition and hooked up one of the #8-40 plugs. I gapped the plug at .022. All seems to be good so far.

FYI George, I hooked up one of the Honeywell sensors and could not tell the differance in performance. I did not use any test equipment other than my eyes and ears. (only took me a year)

I use one of Roy Sholls WYSWYG ignitions. I also use his hall sensor to trigger the board and his 10KV wire.

http://www.cncengines.com/ic.html

Here is a short video (Poor quality) of the test. I know how you guy's like video!!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6GR1RBrITw[/ame]

Heck, who needs an engine. That little assembly by itself it really slick. I could see that sitting on a bookshelf in my study, waiting for someone to come along and flick it over a few times! Pretty nice, Steve!

Chuck

cfellows said:
Heck, who needs an engine. That little assembly by itself it really slick. I could see that sitting on a bookshelf in my study, waiting for someone to come along and flick it over a few times! Pretty nice, Steve!

Chuck

It's funny that you said that. I thought about mounting a plug and using a small RC motor to spin the distributor and fire the plug. I thought it would be cool to have on the table at NAMES. Wouldn't be all that safe so I canceled the project.

Steve, this is great. Very enjoyable to watch your progress. Thanks for taking the time to document as you go!

The fixtures for making the radiator are nice to see, I done lurned stuff here.

Lee

I'm in a bit of a lazy mood today but I did go out and make some test pieces to try to tame the ignition wires. I think I have figured out what I need so I'm going to redo the pieces and cut out a new set.

DSCN2035s.jpg

DSCN2041s.jpg

Latest posts

Back