Small Rotary Table

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfellows

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
This project was inspired by some pictures posted by MKLOTZ. I had an old, Sears 4 jaw chuck that didn't get much use and a constant need to drill indexed holes in things, so I built this small rotary table to accommodate the chuck.

There are two rows of indexing holes, one contains 20 holes and the other 24. Between the two rows, I can get 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 12, 20, and 24 evenly spaced holes. The flat detent spring was was formed from a piece of a worn out bandsaw blade which I've been holding onto for years.

The rectangular base fits nicely into my mill/drill vice. I should probably also figure out a way to fasten it to my drill press table... Chuck

100_0253.jpg

100_0252.jpg

Very nice. A new life for an old chuck. Great looking fixture you have there.

Oh yeah, I do love putting forlorn, unused stuff back to work! Great idea.

How does the chuck mount/swivel on the base? Any bronze or brass used as a bearing?

Here's a couple pics of mounting a 160 mm 4 jaw on my 150 mm Grizzly rotab. I copied John Stevenson's method of making 4 tee pieces with holes that line up with 4 holes drilled in the perimeter of the chuck backplate. The 4 tapered allen bolts engage the off-center holes and pull up to lock it in place. Works a treat!

rotabchuckmountparts.jpg

rotabchuckmounted.jpg

No bushings or bronze. The back plate has a shouldered hole in the center. A flanged plug that's a couple of thou longer than the backplate is thick goes in from the top and a flat headed screw through the bottom of the square base. See the pic:

RotaryTable.png

J. Tranter said:
Ok I give up. How do you know where to drill the holes?

Are you talking about the indexing holes? I used a spin jig and my mill / drill machine to drill the indexing holes.

Spin jigs are relatively inexpensive and they can do equal divisions of 360, 180, 120, 90, 72, 60, 45, 40, 36, 30, 24, 20, 18, 15, 12, 10, 9, 8, 6, 5, 4, 3, or 2. They use 5c collets to hold the work.

Chuck

Thank you for the info. I need to build one now so I don't have to bug any one for help.

You can also build a jig that uses your change gears as indexers. Choose them for maximum divisibility. I think Marv has one that he's built and there are perhaps one or two other members as well. You certainly won't regret making indexing tools, whatever configuration you choose.

On another point... ask away... it's what we live for around here. You'll find no shortage of free advice, handy tips and even mistakes to be avoided, if you let these guys know you need their input. "Tain't a bother", as me dear aulde grandpappy used to say.

Steve

Latest posts

Back