Automated gear cutting setup on mill.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darwenguy

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys thought some of you may be interested in this setup.
I have to make a number of small gears for some models i make. And cutting 80 teeth on the mill soon gets boring! so ive made this simple, as cheep as it comes setup all in for around £100.
Its produced around 100 gears now and still working great and saves me hours of hand crankin so im pretty please with it :)
Best if i showpics and explain each one.
This is the milling machine i use, but it could easily be fitted to others im sure.
20210427_141515.jpg

The rotary indexer is made from the plans on this forum and realy its another subject on its own.
This is the motor gear box i use to power the traverse, its the generic ebay jobber about a tenner. A simple bracket was made from 3mm plate and a brass adaptor fitted onto the gearbox shaft.
20210427_141432.jpg

This is were it fits to the mill with two small fixing screws. A plastic cap covers the lead screw end and is removed first.
20210427_141537.jpg

20210427_141800.jpg

The controller is just a electronic direction controller and an on/off switch. (About £3 online)
The unit simply swaps the direction of the current to reverse the motor when the switch is flipped on/off. The wires are easy to figure with just 8 wires into the unit... 2x motor voltage in, 2x voltage for switch, 2 for the remote switch and two output to the motor.
20210427_141454.jpg

The switch is fitted to the mill just below the table and two adjustable stops are positiond to triger the switch.
20210427_143230.jpg

The rotary indexer i made myself and added a remote push button switch connected to the right jog button on the unit. The switch is fitted to a bar that i clamp in a drill vice and just position it so the mill bed just presses the button at the end of its stroke.
20210427_142141.jpg

A 12v laptop power unit supplies power to the drive.
20210427_141922.jpg

With a bit of fiddling around with all the positions of switches and stops thats it.
The whole table drive can be made for under £30. Il try add a video of it running soon.
Best regards
Luke.
20210427_143241.jpg

Darwenguy,

Nice setup and that takes a lot of work out of gear cutting. Thanks for posting.

I use a similar setup consisting of a CNC controlled Taig mill, stepper controlled Sherline rotary table, and a Sherline lathe headstock and motor adapted to the Taig mill. The stock Taig spindle does not have low enough rpm for gear cutting, so I use the Sherline. A few lines of G-code and that's it.

Chuck

DarwenGuy----That is really slick!! I cut a lot of gears for various engines I design, and I know all about the cranking involved. Very good post.---Brian Rupnow

Very nice! One important suggestion - it is best not to use milling cutters (including gear cutters) in a drill chuck. This is what collets and endmill holders are for. :)

Found this image on cutting gears by copying from a 3D printed gear. This gives a lot of freedom. Make your own cutter. Using the threading feature on a lathe to make a hob cutter using the same approach. However teeth can be cut to a high quality by moving the above cutter and pattern cutter linearly a small distance to remove the steps. Index the copy gear and the blank to cut the next tooth.

Attachments

• Hob_gear_copier_tool.JPG
    Hob_gear_copier_tool.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 233
Back