Simplicity Steam Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vascon2196

Reaction score
After the completion of a successful elbow engine I have decided to build an engine that I have been putting off for quite some time. Mainly because of some of the smaller fussy parts that I just did not have the experience to attempt until now. I drew the engine plans in SolidWorks a few years ago but the original plans I copied were from Live Steam magazine. The engine is called the Simplicity Steam Engine. I found a couple of ball bearings with the exact I.D. I needed so I had to change the design a little. For the most part I plan on following the original plans as much as possible.

Chris

SimplicitySteamEngine001.jpg

SimplicitySteamEngine002.jpg

Chris: I'm along for the duration. Roger

Okay Roger...here is a link to a video to give everyone an idea of what the finished engine should look like.

Chris

[ame]http://youtu.be/y8qnKfLPlTw[/ame]

Chris: Like the video can't wait to see the real thing. Roger

Some more pictures. There are a couple of holes in each angled crank post. I drilled and pinned them together before machining. I installed the ball bearings, machined the crank, faced the crankshaft ends, and put it all together. The brass piece is the eccentric driver unfinished and I also finished the eccentric strap. I will be making another eccentric strap because I do not like the outome of this one...I will looking for a better way to make one hopefully on this site!

Chris

simplicitysteamengine001-1.jpg

simplicitysteamengine002-1.jpg

Should be a nice project Chris and the parts thus far look great!!

Bill

It has been a while since I posted pictures of the Simplicity Engine progress...here you go.

MCT125Summer2012003.jpg

MCT125Summer2012002.jpg

MCT125Summer2012001.jpg

MCT125Summer2012004.jpg

Nice project and really nice photos - I like the idea of showing the drawing behind the object.

Jim

Wow...I finished this engine in October and forgot to add updated pictures! Here is an overall shot of the finished engine in the rough...I just took it out of the box I put it in back in October...she needs a cleaning!!!

The engine runs great...I can get it to turn itself over by blowing into it...one of my best runners.

If I did not say before...it came out of Live Steam magazine...it was fun and runs great.

Chris

SimplicitySteamEngine002-1.jpg

Chris,
Nice engine....is that a piston valve?

Phil

Yes Simon it is a piston valve. It runs extremely well with no packing or o-rings or permatex...some tolerances are really loose and it turns over like nothing.

What issues of Live Steam did the plans come in? Are your modifications available as drawings (PDF)? Thanks! It is a very nice looking build! I want to build one too.

Check out the cover of March/April 2008 Volume 42 No.2

I think the plans are in the previous issue which I borrowed at the time from a friend.

Hope that helps!

Chris

Back