Simple beginner engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The hobby shop is open again!!! Lucky me! ..... oh, and dparker, did you make that engine just to show me? or did you make it before? also, is there any videos of this online? THANX!

Ok, i got some parts... This is all i could find:

Picture 001.jpg

hey, what about this:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOqWzefvlfg&feature=fvw[/ame]
Would that count?

yeas as Kel said a good starter engine. The plans can be downloaded for free as well. if you have the materials or want to shop for them but everything gathered and cut to size for $25 probably not worth the time to scrounge. you could easily spend a couple hours finding all the parts and cutting to size.and still end up sending close to $20 for metal and gas to get to the store.
Tin

so i NEED a lathe? if so... i dont think i can do this one... sad... if so. ???

If we are talking about just making a steam engine that will move, without a lathe you just have to be creative. I remember the engine that My dad and I built when I was about 10. since we did not have a lathe or Milling machine, this is what we did. the cylinder and piston was an old shock absorber and the crankshaft was taken from a single cylinder motorcycle engine(bearings and all). We used a vbelt sheave for a flywheel and made a wooden base. We used two pieces of copper tubing braised together in a "T" shape. The valving was made from a corrugated Iron nail(it had an extra thick head) and we made it fit the T shaped pipe by trial and error with emory while chucked in the drill press. The eccentric was made by braising a pin off center on the top of the bolt which screwed to end of the crankshaft. The links were bent from coat hanger wire. I wish I had pictures. The engine still runs and my dad has it in his shop. Just remember creativity can make many things possible.

Without a lathe or milling machine, you could consider some of the tin-can stirling engines, the plans of which are freely available for download on the internet. Google tin can stirling.

Also you might consider some of McCabe's engines http://npmccabe.tripod.com/ They can be made to run with just a power drill and a few hand tools.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

This may sound a little nuts... but what if i made it out of wood? maybe balsa? Well... not balsa, but sumthin kinda easy to shape... I could widdle it and drill it. I would obviously use the screw forthe cylinder... if i made a rocker. I think it is a good idea. My neibor has a ton of wood working skills... So maybe he could help too. Wht do yo think? THANKZ for all the ideas and support. :)

I have seen some nice engines made from hardwood.
Tin

Being really blunt, the only way to find out what works and what you can achieve is to experiment.

Go down to your mate's place to use his tools or ask him to help you. Take a lump of hardwood (softwood like pine is probably best avoided) and some other bits like a wire coat hanger, screws, nails, a bit of builders foam would make a good piston. If you can find an old washing machine or dishwasher, there are lots of useful bits inside and the steel casing comes in handy.

You have the benefit of loads of designs that can be easily modified available for free download on the internet. Pioneers like Newcomen, Trevithick et al didn't even have powered machine tools or previous experience to draw on, yet they were able to make some pretty impressive engines.

You may have to try several times before you get something that satisfies your interest. Perseverance is required. Remember 'The Lord helps those who help themselves'.

Send us some pictures of your efforts and you will get praise on this forum for your efforts.

So, Go for it. No more lame excuses!

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Im gonna buy the kit. Wish me luck. And yes, this is my FINAL plan.:)

Bogs posted a link back to Firebird's solenoid engine which reminded me of a model that could be made with the Trix construction set I had before my Mecanno. That triggered a brief search on the internet.

Tricy027.jpg

EDIT - This one is more appropriate

How easy would it be to make that (OK forget all the holes!). Its simple cam operated commutator

I remember making it back in the 50's, it worked.

Trix details here

http://www.trix-metaal.nl/

Wiki Here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trix_%28construction_sets%29

Pete

Well that takes me back!! I've just gone through all the pages of the manual on that site and remember it well. I must have been 5 or 6 when I had that set. But I do remember that I understood the principles of the circuits and how these models worked. I only had the basic set but it must have come with the complete manual as I recall the more advanced models.

I must say it must have been a formative moment in my life. I went on to do electrical and electronics engineering and then into IT. See the last page of the manual

Tricy096.jpg

Spooky

Pete

Hi I know I am a bit late on the thread but here is a video of my first engine I made in the kitchen with virtually no tools a drill a pliers and a snips, its a simple stirling can engine which uses steel wool conected to the crank with fishing line, a balloon covers the top of the bottom can which has the top of a bottle glued to it. This is connected with some more steel wire and electrical connectors to the crank at a 90 degree offset .I used a 4" angle grinder disc for flywheel. if your interested in this here is a link to the plans.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-a-Coke-Can-Stirling-Engine/
Regards J

Thats really cool thank you for sharing!, I might actually try that seems very easy and its worth using to get the concept down pat.

Back