Simple beginner engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enginedude1

Reaction score
Hi all, I am brand new to this hobby, but am very interested in it. I want to build an absolute beginner engine. Preferable like either gas or steam. (how many other kinds r there?) And i have a drill, screwdrivers, electronics skills, a soldering iron and 150 dollars. Can i make one? If so, tell me how! Thanks! Bye!

Dude

With the tools you have at present it is going to be a bit hard to build an engine. Ideally you would like to have a metal lathe (does not have to be big) a milling machine and a drill press.
One way to do it with limited tools is find one of the engines that is offered as a pre machined kit.

Dave

Hi Enginedude1. If you have a drill and bits, a hacksaw, a metal file, and tin snips you can have a lot of fun building one of these. Its a basic beginner project that would provide you a first step to becoming familiar with basic metal working skills. I always wanted to see someone build one and experience the joy of seeing it run. A good place to start. Give it a try, we'll be here to help you along!

We all started out with out skills or machines and tooling. Welcome to our forum!

http://npmccabe.tripod.com/olddesign.htm

http://npmccabe.tripod.com/steam.htm

This web site also offers other plans you can build as you progress.

-MB

with the tools you have
1) you can build a simple air steam engine.
2) attend a class or join a club that gives access to machines.
3) buy a pre machined kit from Graham industries or PM research and assemble it.
Tin

Hey Dude,
You might consider making a tin can sterling engine also. Here is one site that offers free plans and I am sure a google search for "tin can sterling engines" will turn up more. With your $150. you should be able to get a few additional things that might be needed.

http://boydhouse.com/stirling/

Bill

That looks like a plan then...good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Bill

Yes, that would be something you could do with minium tools. There are others like it out there also. A number of them were published in old issues of Popular Mechanics and other magazines.

Part of the fun is to see what you can do with what you have and then adapt or modify parts and pieces you can get your hands on.

Go for it. Thm:

Where are you located? Maybe you can find another like-minded individual who is willing to let you use a lathe or mill and give you some instruction.

Put your location in your profile, it helps.

Oh, and im gonna look at other designs 4 inspiration, because i'm obviously not gonna make it exactly the same.

I found another cool air one. Oh and thanks 4 the solenoid engine. Its actually quite interesting. But about the air one, Watch it and tellme how easy it is.(it should be quite easy. I would make mine 1 valve, 2 cylinder. I'm probably gonna do one like that. Thanks. Bye!
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JG6ci0_oKs[/ame]

Hey, would it count as an engine if it wuz made mostly of legos?

well certainly if it runs on compressed air has a flywheel etc

Jim%20Volkening%20Collection%203c.jpg

this is picture of "LEE" the Lego Engineered Engine my son built this when he as IIRC 14 or 15 the other engine is his as well.
he took a couple set of plans and built an engine.
This is easy stuff any Five year old can do this ,with ten years experience.
Tin

ok, i admit it, i havent a clue where to start, but i really wanna build an engine. I need a simple, easy, house-hold material design. If it is possible to make an engine with these "specs", let me know and give me a design. I am just really excited about building an engine and i wanna build one or start one. So basically i need to konw where to start and a design. (vise versa) Thanks!!!!

Hi

Plans in an old Popular Mechanics for a simple horizontal oscillator here

uses hobby-shop brass, solder, hacksaw and files, and a drill.

Have fun, and show us what you finally do build!

Cheers, Joe

ok, idk if im just an idiot or sumthin, but i'm not 100 percent understanding what to make/do for the brass one. Where to start on it?

the build article starts on page 154 of the July 1970 popular mechanics Magazine
when i clicked on the link I got the front page. I simply put "steam engine" in the search this issue block and it went to it.
The heart of this engine is tubing from K &S engineering. typically sold at hobby shops.

Tin

Latest posts

Back