Show your neat stuff

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mgbrv8 said:
If you like old school here is one for you. Its a 1910 Gem adding machine. To operate the Golden Gem, the stylus is inserted into a link corresponding to the desired number and pulled down. As the continuous chain revolves, it advances a number wheel whose value is seen in the window at top. When a wheel revolves from 9 to 0, a tens carry mechanism automatically advances the next wheel by one. (This works well, but advancing the tens carry on multiple digits at once (e.g. from 999 to 1000) requires some extra hand strength!). Substraction is possible (via the 9s complement method). Clearing of the result register is achieved by turning the knob at bottom right until all digits show zero.

David
Well, that is basically how the Addimax works, you put the stylus into the hole in the slide and slide it to the end of travel. When you reach a number that goes over 9, like 9/8ths, or 13 inches, you carry it forward by sliding the slide around the corner!! The inches column goes to 12, so when you have an answer larger than 12 inches, you go around the corner to the feet column and slide up the remaining inches as another foot. Sound confusing?? just like using it. Can't talk on your cellphone and do it, or you get lost.

Ok, here's another obscurity. It is missing a 6" or 12" long rod that goes between those tiny pointed setscrews.
What is it? It has very elaborate modern counterparts, both mechanical and digital, but I bet you can find your answer just as accurately with this simple antique.

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

Mosey said:
What is it? It has very elaborate modern counterparts, both mechanical and digital, but I bet you can find your answer just as accurately with this simple antique.

Looks like a center tester for a lathe. Pointy rod goes in, short (and pointy) end into a center punched hole in the work, longer end toward tailstock. When the punch mark was on center the far end didn't wobble about (much).

I've made several of somewhat different design. A pump center and a DI is easier to use and a bit more accurate.

I had one (may still have it somewhere) where the pointer was soldered through the middle of a tin lid instead of the gimble arrangement that is shown in the photos. It worked quite well.

Sense we are doing the "what is this" thing, I have one. I have a dead center that has a positive and negative 12 degrees rotation capability. The end doesn't move in or out or off axis all it dose is rotate. I have always thought it was for multi pitch threads but I am not sure. It was made by the ENCO Mfg company of Chicago,its a model-#6-jarno, micro-set-center. I contacted Enco once and they rudely said we cant help you. Any ideas

David

center 003.jpg

center 004.jpg

Mosey said:
Good. Have or anyone you know ever used one of these?

I have a Starrett #65 that's I've used once in a while, but I seldom punch centers anymore as I prefer to use the DRO on the mill. If I need a center on the lathe I just put a hole there and then indicate it in on the lathe.

mgbrv8 said:
Sense we are doing the "what is this" thing, I have one. I have a dead center that has a positive and negative 9 degrees rotation capability. The end doesn't move in or out or off axis all it dose is rotate. I have always thought it was for multi pitch threads but I am not sure. It was made by the ENCO Mfg company of Chicago,its a model-#6-jarno, micro-set-center. I contacted Enco once and they rudely said we cant help you. Any ideas

It allows you to move the center relative to the taper. It can be used to get work on axis or maybe a little off for a slight taper (like a taper arbor). I think the numbers are in thousandths toward or away from the operator (if the UP is on top).

Throw it on with an indicator on some stock and see if it does what I think.

No when you rotate the barrel it doesn't go off axis, I have tried using a indicator on it and no matter how its set the tip stays centered on one axis and dosnt not move in or out.

David

mgbrv8 said:
No when you rotate the barrel it doesn't go off axis, I have tried using a indicator on it and no matter how its set the tip stays centered on one axis and dosnt not move in or out.

Have a look at patents 2847890 and 3057238. I think the first is what you have (and assigned to Enco), the second is one Enco did making it a live center. When you checked it did you have the letters "UP" on the top of the spindle and the indicator on the side of the center tip (or, better yet, on the work)?

It has patent numbers 2841042-2847890 on it.

Dave

I've been meaning to snap a picture of my "neatest" treasure and here it is. It was my Uncles, a wooden bit index made by Morse Drill & Machine Company. The bits my Uncle (a tool and die maker of yesteryear) are still sharp and cut fine!

bit index.jpg

Now that is a neat piece thanks for sharing.

Dave

Here's a Triple Play of neat stuff. My brother just retired (pediatric dentist) and I scored these three things.

A metric thickness gauge for measuring the wall thickness of gold crowns.
StansNeatStuff-1.jpg

StansNeatStuff-2.jpg

Next up is a spot welder/soldering machine for repairing braces.

StansNeatStuff-7.jpg

StansNeatStuff-8.jpg

And finally, The Big Score, an articulated, ceiling mounted, light, which now hangs in my shop!

StansNeatStuff-5.jpg

StansNeatStuff-6.jpg

Best
Stan

I really like that spot welder and the light.

Dave

Ooh, where is the jealous smiley? ???
I have a half finished spotwelder project, time to get back on it.

The spot welder will be very handy when the broken (insert earring, bracelet, necklace) arrives in the shop with, "all these machines and you can't fix this." :-\
Stan

Sshire said:
Here's a Triple Play of neat stuff. My brother just retired (pediatric dentist) and I scored these three things.

And finally, The Big Score, an articulated, ceiling mounted, light, which now hangs in my shop!

StansNeatStuff-5.jpg

Now THAT'S a neat stuff! Karma point for this!

I've always wanted one of those lights! :'(

Back