Show your neat stuff

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MTR has been on the wish list for a long time, its a bit pricy, but I realize its the missing link. I dont really know any way, but seeing that tool has brought my thought processes in the correct direction. Thanks again!

Don T,

A couple of years ago I was looking to get some Abrafiles for use on my die filer, and after a lot of research, it came out that the chap that made Abrafiles was a bit of a one man band, and he just stopped producing them after making them for many years.

The nearest thing to an Abrafile you can get now are the tungsten coated round saw blades that are used for cutting ceramic tiles into odd shapes. I bought a couple of those blades and although they are a little larger in diameter than the Abrafile, they do almost the same thing, but not quite as nicely.

John

I must be going senile,that's twice i have forgot the picture,sorry
DSC03391.jpg

They cut in all directions and are brilliant
Don

Does anyone know if they are still obtainable,please
don

This not machining related, but I recon its neat :big:
My Daughter turned 8 this month and this vid is of her practicing her piano

http://youtu.be/6e-_DiFvr7U
check it out
thats my girl :big:

Cute and talented. One karma point FOR KIMMI :bow:

Bogstandard said:
Don T,

A couple of years ago I was looking to get some Abrafiles for use on my die filer, and after a lot of research, it came out that the chap that made Abrafiles was a bit of a one man band, and he just stopped producing them after making them for many years.

The nearest thing to an Abrafile you can get now are the tungsten coated round saw blades that are used for cutting ceramic tiles into odd shapes. I bought a couple of those blades and although they are a little larger in diameter than the Abrafile, they do almost the same thing, but not quite as nicely.

John

I have some of these, IIRC from B&Q, but not on their site now it seems ..

http://www.vitrex.co.uk/products.php?cat=3

Probably same as Bogs', ... not wildly impressed by them anyway.
OK if you've no alternative.
BTW you can get flexible ones with a handle on each end. Plumbers use them to cut pipes in awkward places.

EDIT Found some ..

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-tungsten-carbide-rod-blade--300mm-prod819599/

BC

Here's one from the past. And it works when the power is out. To think that when I was 16, I could work this thing, all of it's functions.

IMG_0009.jpg

Yes,

They were a wonderous tool in their day.

I remember stepping from log tables to slide rule in 1966 when required to complete my HSC for university entrance. They saved me around 1 hour per 3 hour exam compared to using log tables. The only thing they could not do accurately enough, ( in my range of work), was gear calculations, for which, at that time, we used 5 figure log tables. Mine also had quite a range of formulas on the back which saved trying to memorise them. :eek:

Best Regards
Bob

Mosey said:
Here's one from the past. And it works when the power is out. To think that when I was 16, I could work this thing, all of it's functions.

I've got a few of those. I can use them on so-called "no-calculator" tests in math class. :big:

I used mine all through my undergraduate college years. I would have killed for a scientific calculator - particularly in thermodynamics and physical chemistry where orders of magnitude could be all over the map.

It's a calculator for feet, inches and 1/8ths i think.
Saw one many years ago in my friends tool collection.
It's old school to the max!!!

Andrew

Mosey said:
OK, who knows what this handy but obscure device is?

Give the man the prize!
It is an Alexander-Addimax "Addiator Junior", made in West Germany in the late 50's, and very hard to come by. It adds and subtracts feet, inches, and fractions down to 1/8's manually. Is in the calculator museum of early manual calculators, and yes, I guess I am also old-school to the max, as we used them to check strings of dimensions on drawings. Do they ( the digital millenials) know what fractions are?

Mosey said:
Give the man the prize!
Do they ( the digital millenials) know what fractions are?

Hey, Mosey...

You might want to give my MIX calculator a try. As the name suggests, you can input lengths in any mix of metric and Imperial units including decimal and rational fractions, then perform any of the four basic math operations and see the results in all the units it "understands". It even has a facility to scale all inputs by a user-supplied value which is handy if you're working off a scaled drawing.

What's a digital "millenial"? None of my dictionaries recognize that as a word.

If you like old school here is one for you. Its a 1910 Gem adding machine. To operate the Golden Gem, the stylus is inserted into a link corresponding to the desired number and pulled down. As the continuous chain revolves, it advances a number wheel whose value is seen in the window at top. When a wheel revolves from 9 to 0, a tens carry mechanism automatically advances the next wheel by one. (This works well, but advancing the tens carry on multiple digits at once (e.g. from 999 to 1000) requires some extra hand strength!). Substraction is possible (via the 9s complement method). Clearing of the result register is achieved by turning the knob at bottom right until all digits show zero.

David

calculator 001.jpg

calculator 002.jpg

calculator 003.jpg

mklotz said:
Hey, Mosey...

You might want to give my MIX calculator a try. As the name suggests, you can input lengths in any mix of metric and Imperial units including decimal and rational fractions, then perform any of the four basic math operations and see the results in all the units it "understands". It even has a facility to scale all inputs by a user-supplied value which is handy if you're working off a scaled drawing.

What's a digital "millenial"? None of my dictionaries recognize that as a word.
means born after 2000 ( in this current millenium)( or anybody under 30) !

Back