Show Us Your Lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wel ill be darned, that sounds like a handy little deal to have. My eyes are not as good as they used to be.

I am 69 and my right eye has cataract and about to go for ops. Left eye is OK.
No worry.Young man like us can now take it easy.Plenty of time to build engines.
Kids grown up. House paid.Fully insured. Health still good.
The "boss" leaves me alone as long as we bring in no chips from the machineshop.

Here's pictures of my 1937 12x36 Sebastain. I have a small rotary table chucked to my 8in 4-jaw. The idea was to keep everything concentric when I mill flats and cross holes on the outside of the part.

But alas, my 3" chuck on the table isn't big enough. I get to buy new tools!!! Yeah!!!

I'm looking into a new chuck for this lathe. It has 2-1/8 - 8 spindle threads. It's a weird size spindle and I'll have to make a backing plate from scratch. (I'm not looking forward to that. My skills are limited, but improving.)

Below the Sebastain, is a Craftsman 109 my father gave me. It's from the late '50s or early '60s and really hasn't been used since new. My dad tells stories that the only useful thing it ever made was two bearings machined by my grandfather. It lives under my workbench. This is what a lathe looks like when it's dormant after 50 or so years.

I have dreams of running this thing on a small live steam engine and take it to farm machinery shows.

DSC00713.jpg

DSC00714.jpg

DSC00715.jpg

DSC00716.jpg

ModHydro.

What a smashing job you have done Modding-out that Logan 200. Although blue would not have been my first choice colour for paint I must say it really is appealing. The stainless back-splash tray is a nice accessory both quite practical while being clean.

I have a couple of questions for you, I have just completed installing a Quick Change unit on my 200, I kept the plain apron so I just milled off the unit and cut down the lead screw, the donor unit is a 920, my question is what is your gearing arrangement down to the lead screw gear (stud, Idler & screw) and what sires machine did the taper attachment come from and what was involved in installing the attachment?

Many thanks Anthony

Anthony,

Thanks for the compliments on the lathe. I had redone a bridgeport and did it in the same blue. Machinery gray just isn't my thing. I figured they should match. To me the lighter color also shows dirt and grime and helps force the issue of keeping things cleaner.

I will get a photo of the gearing. I had to make a shim for the QC to move it out for my newer apron leadscrew axis. I did learn the hard way that the 3/8" or so differential had the final leadscrew gear rubbing in the gear cover. I guess these are the things you run into when making something out of several machines.

I have no idea what lathe the taper attachment was actually from. It has around 14" or so of travel along its length so I figure it will do about anything I would ever need to tackle. My guess is it must have been something big enough that none of the e-bay buyers bid for it. I think it only ran me $15 or so. Needless to say I was very happy to pay that for it. Even better was the guy letting me pick it up in person on a family visit to save shipping. I actually found the Logan taper cross slide on e-bay as well, but it wasn't noted as such and the photos barely showed what it was. I held my breath on that bidding, but got a steal on it as well. Sometimes patience can pay off.

When I had the bed on my mill to recut the ways, I faced two surfaces to bolt the taper setup to. You can see the simple tee shaped mounts I made in the photo. The photo doesn't really show the machined pad as the mounts pretty much fill the milled flats on the cast bed.

The pan is actually .080" aluminum. That was pricey enough. I'd hate to think what stainless would have cost me. In this photo you can see the notching to fit around the drive pulley cover. It was quite a project figuring out the pan in space. My sons and I had string pulled all sorts of ways and tape marks on the walls. I drew it up in Pro-E and did some full scale prints to check things out before committing to cutting metal I have a flat pattern for it drawn up so it is an easy part to replicate if anyone is interested. I can provide it in a .dxf format and you could get it printed full sized and start cutting bending and welding from there. I did a simpler one for the SB and was hooked on how much nicer it is than the skinny chip tray that it came with.

let me know if there are any other photos or info I can help you with.

Steve

DSCF1032.jpg

DSCN4090.jpg

A few weeks ago, I come across a nice Harrison L5 Lathe 1960 vintage (9"x 24" with a 17" swing in the gap) with some useful attachments at a very sensible price, took it home, deep cleaned it and painted it.

The only wear appears to be a slight amount of backlash in the cross slide screw/nut about 7 thou on the dial.

Anyway heres the before and after photo's, I still have to clean and paint the attachments as required.

L5.jpg

Almost There.jpg

This is a picture of my small lathe, the picture was taken at work but now the lathe is at home in my shed.

07062012100.jpg

I just moved this Smart & Brown 1024 VSL into my shop last week.

image.jpg

Shawn

first up G,day new member .
and the lathe only had it a few months but we are getting along just fine, my first metal lathe ( took 30 odd years to get it ) .i have had wood lathes for many many years .built the first one myself and bought a small one for making pens , i always wanted a metal lathe , i just wish i had not left it so late to get one . now i want a mill of course but i will have that by the end of this year come hell or high water .also bought a very old power hacksaw not long ago and have made a few improvments to it and given it a new lease on life .
in the mill dept i think i will be settling for a mill drill , thinking along the lines of a hm46 type thing .

P1010025.JPG

Reactions: gus
Hello from (the very wet) Britain!

Having taken a while to get through this thread with great enjoyment I can now proudly post a pic of my new (to me) myford lathe next to a woodworking cousin.

Photos of projects to follow I hope and possibly a workshop renovation project for 2014! Happy New Year.

thumb2_ws2-917.jpg

thumb2_s7_1-918.jpg

thumb2_jet1-919.jpg

Love that Smart & Brown, hard to be an old American lathe. Oh wait Grizzly is better? There made in China and cheap too. There showroom is close by, I better check them out! :D

Cheers,
John.

A few weeks ago, I come across a nice Harrison L5 Lathe 1960 vintage (9"x 24" with a 17" swing in the gap) with some useful attachments at a very sensible price, took it home, deep cleaned it and painted it.

The only wear appears to be a slight amount of backlash in the cross slide screw/nut about 7 thou on the dial.

Anyway heres the before and after photo's, I still have to clean and paint the attachments as required.

As good as brand new.
We were taught turning using Colchesters and Harrisons in 1961-----1963 when Gus was a young lad of 16.
In fact all the machine tools were British who came in to set Singapore Polytechnic and so were most of the instructors and lecturers--------principal.

Time past so fast and Gus now 70 and retired. I was told that most of the Colchesters and Harrisons are still operating though a wee bit worn.

Happy New Year.

Gus, although I started about 9 years later than you, I too learnt on Colchester and Harrison lathes at trade school.

Paul.

Latest posts

Back