Show Us Your Lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Propforward,
This is my lathe which is the Aussie version (2004 model) of your Grizzly. Mine however is the short bed version being 610 mm (24") between centres & does not have a gapped bed. All else is the same as far as I am aware. I gave it a carriage overhaul & has performed quite well since. I have made a 127 tooth bakelite back-gear as a shear off gear & a 80 tooth back-gear for the final driven gear to reduce the available feed rates by half.
Don.

That is really nice - I really like the tool holder you made for the splash guard - what a great idea. The shelf underneath is smart too. I am toying with the idea of putting a coolant reservoir and pump in that space, but for now I'm going to manage with a tin cup and brush for coolant, until I get a little more familiar.

Last edited:
I don't want to get on anyone bad side but .......my colchester lathe is better then yours! :p

but in reality I love to see all machine tools... heck I may see something that i did not even know about and want one! that is one side to the hobby

Lawrence

Propforward,
This is my lathe which is the Aussie version (2004 model) of your Grizzly. Mine however is the short bed version being 610 mm (24") between centres & does not have a gapped bed. All else is the same as far as I am aware. I gave it a carriage overhaul & has performed quite well since. I have made a 127 tooth bakelite back-gear as a shear off gear & a 80 tooth back-gear for the final driven gear to reduce the available feed rates by half.
Don.

Hey Don I really like your idea of using the chip gard to hold lathe tools...nice!

Lawrence

My Knuth DBF400. It machines some nice things and love this thing!

WP_000178.jpg

MY first lathe was a microlathe 140X180 which i sold after 7 days because it was too small. MY second one is a mini lathe 180X300 from Optimum which came with so many manufacturing defects that it is a total shame.

Now im trying to sell the mini and buy something in range of 300X1000

Slika (3).jpg

Slika (27).jpg

A very neat and tidy workshop. I am envious

I had a very nice South Bend Heavy 10, a late model from the 1980's with the extra wide-range gearbox, flame-hardened ways, and camlock spindle. Recently, however, I sold it and decided to start "cheating" by buying a CNC lathe. Here's my 14"x40" South Bend CNC:

CIMG5952.jpg

South Bend never made a CNC, but this was an aftermarket conversion. Basically they sold you a new Fourteen with no gearbox or apron and this place did the rest. It's got servo-motors and ball-screws. I don't know what controls it used to run, but the previous owner refitted it with a PMDx board and Gecko drivers and now it runs Mach3. Just starting to get the hang of it.

MY first lathe was a microlathe 140X180 which i sold after 7 days because it was too small. MY second one is a mini lathe 180X300 from Optimum which came with so many manufacturing defects that it is a total shame.

Now im trying to sell the mini and buy something in range of 300X1000

I really like your shop layout, very nice and tidy and well organised.

How do I add pictures?
Hi Rob, If you look below where you are typing, you will see a section called "Attach Files". If you click on "Manage Attachments" you will hopefully find your way. Press "upload" only once, be patient. Click on "Preview Post" to see what it will look like.

Here's a Pic of my Pratt & Whitney 10" Toolmakers Lathe. My late father bought it about 1963-4. It seems excellent mechanically, and in the new year I plan to strip it down and do a full cosmetic restoration. The current paint job was done around 1951. I am collecting info, photos, Serial Nos etc. of any 10" P&W Lathes. Any info would be appreciated. They were probably the best precision lathe of their time (bragging!). Well, pre WWI there were probably a few really good lathes...:)

Regards, RossG
radial1951

DSC02402 Low Res.jpg

Here are a couple of photos of a South Bend and a Logan that wound up getting morphed from a plain change gear model 200. I was going to see if a guy I worked with wanted to buy it from a friend since I had just redone a SB model A and was plenty happy with it. Luckily my buddy talked me into the Logan, I sold the SB to Steve and turned the Logan into this. I wound up finding a taper attachement at an auction and added it as well. I had to make a bedplate for the turrent tailstock as that was just too handy to let go with the SB. I had made "enhanced" chip trays for both of them. I really like catching the bulk of the chips before they hit the floor.

SB 1.jpg

Turret2.jpg

DSCN4138.jpg

DSCF1299.jpg

turret 001.jpg

Wish I could have a real machineshop like yours.I make do with the balcony which is not totally weather proof.
A wee bit of rain comes in real bad storms. Should have no complains as climate is summer throughout.

Would love to see your first project post.

I am humbled and shy to show my lathe concidering the fine lathes you all own. Regardless, it should be done. s12.jpg

Attachments

• s7.jpg
    s7.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,747
Reminds me of the Colchester and Harrison lathes I worked during my Polytechinic school days. Also worked on a UK donated Capstan Lathe to set up a show turning out hex head bolts for Open House Day. In the sixties,capstan
lathe set-up was not common know how. Was my instructor's job to set up.When I need help ,he was no where to be seen. Luckily same lathe was easy to set up. My neighbours were using carbon tool cutters and were turning out parts with very good finisihing. HSS bits were unheard off to him. Some history.

This the lathe I have it is a 1949 South Bend 9" new to me 2003 This is my forth SB 9" I have scrape the bed way and update the motor works great to day. Planing on making engines with it at this just working on tooling for the mill & lathe

Dave

SB1949.jpg

.. and turned the Logan into this. I wound up finding a taper attachement at an auction and added it as well..

Beautiful restoration(s). May I ask on the Logan taper attachment addition, how do you now disengage the leadscrew from its (I assume typical)threaded nut on the cross slide so it can slides freely via the taper attachment once angle set & locked down? Did Logans contemplate that in their design or you need to remove the leadscrew, or?

Thanks for the compliments on the lathes. They are both dirtier and well used now, but that is the way they should be. A spotless machine is an unused one! The SB is now owned by HMEM member "SMG". He has a thread going on a 4 cylinder he is building now:

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f31/tiny-inline-4-designed-burleigh-machine-18818/

We work together with our day job and both have common interests in small engines.

For the Logan taper use, you just remove a screw into the cross feed nut like the smaller South Bends. The taper attachment is from a far larger lathe, but that allowed me to mount it on some solid brackets off the back of the bed. I milled in the flats when I re-cut the ways on it and had everything fixtured up. When I got the lathe originally it had a pretty crude, but still effective homemade taper attachment on it. I have actually used it more than I would have figured so it is a nice thing to have. I play trombone and have a Vintage Olds bass that has a different taper on the receiver. Finding the Remington taper mouthpieces is hard so I just re-cut what I need. the second photo shows the brackets in the rough and the third once I put in an epoxy fillet and got everything painted.

Steve

DSCF1297.jpg

DSCF1032.jpg

DSCF1299.jpg

Latest posts

Back