Show Us Your Lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi

I did look at using a rotary setup rather than having three phase run in. The problem is with two mills and three lathes it gets a bit heavy on the 230volt woring not that all would be running at the same time but its not that rare for two to be going at the same time.

I thought a lot of the Logan it was a good solid accurate lathe. When it was bought we had that and a Van Norman 6a mill for $400 the pair. The seller had worked at the Newport news ship yards and didnt want anything to do with machines once he retired.
The VN i still say was worth two Bridgports there was more iron in the headstock of the VN than a complete J head. (ok maybe not but close).

Old American machine tools are very worth thinking about even given there age most will still do a good turn and for many years. The Vn mill still had beautifuly frosted ways and looked like it should work for years.

Cheers Kevin

Just brought a Logan 10in home. I have a lot of cleaning to do on this one. Would like to hear from a Logan owner.

Loganlathe.jpg

I have an old Logan 820 that I bought for $800. It's the best thing in the world.

J Tranter Did you paint your lathe and if so what color? My lathe is a Model 825 Built in 1945

this is my girl at work

Okuma LS 20X80
P9080038.jpg

P9080037.jpg

offsetshaft003.jpg

^^proto-type crank shaft i did, rough in three peices, i welded 'er, then mounted the 4-jaw on the mill, dialed it in, offset it and dialed the 3 jaw in...mounted it all back on the lathe and made my finishing cuts.... three bearing diameters shown in pic (0.0005 tol) and 3a thread....fun part was pulling the tail stock out, using a steady and drilling a 0.25 through hole on that side...op side was just a 6" long 0.001 tol dia with 2 oil grooves.

fix that pic in a sec

I fixed it mike. [/

That Okuma is an impressive looking old work horse.

Those older Japanese machines are solid, rugged lathes that will take just
about anything you can throw at them. I think your example of the offset
three jaw chucked in it shows that quite well.

Great Pictures!

Rick

gt2ride I tore the whole thing down and cleaned it to get off the grime and dust, it had been sitting for 23 years. And painted it a silver color. I think the origanal color was a green color, but being color blind it didn't really matter.
John

rake60 said:
That Okuma is an impressive looking old work horse.

Those older Japanese machines are solid, rugged lathes that will take just
about anything you can throw at them. I think your example of the offset
three jaw chucked in it shows that quite well.

Great Pictures!

Rick

oh i love her

i'm first to buy her when my boss eventual shuts the business down

complete....i have steady rest, follow, taper attachment, 5 3jaw chucks, 4 jaw, face plate, weird ER collet chuck with 35 or so metric collets.

all three lathes have the same style and size of QC tool posts in the shop but i need to measure their tool height offsets and grind up some nice shims this way all the tool holders have the same offset and are uniform for all lathes. we have 25+ QC tool holders

back side of the spindle is threaded and i've made afew addapters with different sized bores to support longer work....i wouldn't mind finding a POS dividing head and making an attachment to mount it on my lathe (same thing with one of my smaller three jaw chucks)

too bad the taper attachment isn't a telescopic, and its T slots it bolts to on the lathe are occupied by the DRO's linear scale

Tranter I had to paint it as soon as I could. It look pretty bad.

HPIM0339.jpg

That looks great. I had to clean mine first the guy who had it before me turned wood on it also, so after 23 yrs of sitting with wood chips and oil it was really nasty.

Here's one of my earliest home lathes.
BenchLatheFront.jpg

I bought it sight un-seen from a classified ad for less than $200
It was a 1940's "kit lathe" copy of an Atlas design that actually cut pretty decent.
The open belts and gears were not the safest set up, but it did serve the
purpose until I bought a new lathe.

Rick

On Tony's site he posted some pics of of other lathe. Now retired and heading to my dads shop. I think these may be the only color pictures on Tonys site: http://www.lathes.co.uk/artisan/page5.html

I dont agree with what Tony says about the machine. I am sure it was line shaft driven (hence the clutch) and I think it was made in or before 1905. All threads are Whitworth which was gone in the US by 1906. The 10" 4 jaw is vintage to about 1905 or a bit older.

Extremely rare. Came with 10" Union 4 jaw, 6" Cushman 4 jaw, 5" Cushman 3 jaw, Steady, Faceplate, rocker tool post Drill chuck and live centers. I think I paid $400 for it off craigslist.

Pretty neat but just too slow. 600 RPM max.

This is my lathe, a new 14 x 40 with DRO and QCTP. Australians will recognise it as an AL340D from Hare & Forbes.
lathecloseup.jpg

From the little I have had to do with lathes in the past, I recall that reading dials and changing tools seemed to take an inordinate amount of time. The DRO and QCTP are a godsend in that regard.

You can see from this shot that I have just managed to squeeze the lathe into a corner of my shed. (OK well maybe I am showing off just a little)
lathefarshot.jpg

And so help me it looks like the image posting has worked. Good stuff!

Very nice lathe Bob.

But, the "shed" will be the envy of every member here. :wink:

Rick

Bob,

As Rake said, very nice "barn"!

I used to have a shop simular to this when I lived at the last house. It was a 40'x60' metal building very simular to the one you posted. I loved the height and size of the building, but there was only about three weeks out of the year you could stand to be out in it. The rest of the time it was either too darn hot (we affectionalty called it the oven) or to darned cold. To clarify, there was about a week it was too darned cold out there, and the other times it was very hot. Summer afternoons it could be a warm as 115 degrees, and that with all of the doors open! :shock:

Now, I am spoiled. The shop I have now (20'x40') is heated and cooled. 8) It can 110 degrees outside, and I am working away in my shop very comfortable and not even breaking a sweat. On the coldest winter days (all of you up north will laugh at this!), it is again very comfortable out in the shop.

An added bonus is that I don't have problems with surface rust on the machines, tools, and other bare rustable stuff.

Well, here's my lil' workhorse. It's a middle 80's era Taiwanese 8x16 lathe. It's pretty accurate and reasonably rigid for it's size, especially after fitting an AXA clone QCTP. Should'a done that years ago! I mounted the QCTP directly to the carriage and only mount the compound when absolutely necessary. Much more rigid that way.

I've also installed D.I.'s on the cross-slide, the carriage and the tailstock. Poor man's DRO.;)

I'm pretty happy with it now but would like to build a taper attachment for it so I can make up some 2MT adapters for a center drill, 1/8" spot drill and a couple of commonly used tap drills.

MyLathe2.jpg

Dickey
That set up looks so comfortably familiar that I could walk in your shop and feel right at home. I'd forgotten how small the 3 inch chuck looks on one though...LOL. Nice set up. I really wish mine had the same style of cross slide table.

Steve

Dickeybird,

Nice setup. I need to make one of those ball cutters like yours. What is the attachment above the file handle that has the V's on each end with the knob?

Kenny

Thanks guys. That machine changed my life forever. I've always had power tools (table saw, grinder, drill press, etc.) but hadn't touched a lathe since metal shop in high school (1964) A good friend bought a larger lathe and sold me this one August '04. I almost immediately dropped (or cut WAY back on) my other hobby (designing, building & flying r/c model aircraft) and have spent all available spare time and hobby money either building from scratch, dreaming about or purchasing MORE MACHINE TOOLS!! I love it.:)

That chuck is actually 100 mm or almost 4". It's always been very accurate but I've noticed lately it runs out .003." Must've tweaked it on one of my earlier neophyte mistakes.

I need to build another ball-turner since that one doesn't fit the lathe anymore. Back before I got a mill, I had a little tee-slot table mounted on the carriage. I clamped things to it for milling operations and also mounted an angle plate on it with my compound mounted vertically used as a milling adapter. The ball-turner you see was made to fit the other table.

KKenny, the device you asked about is a "finger plate." It's used to hold small items for drilling in a drill press. Since this is a lathe thread, I'll post some pics in another thread,

Milton

Back