Shop equipment options

Help Support HMEM:

TSutrina

Reaction score
What software are you using for CAD? I've been using fusion at home but it doesn't seem built for 2d architecture.
FreeCAD has an architecture workbench. Cost nothing and if typical of the other workbenches there will be many tutors on using it so you can see what it can do.

WisJim

Reaction score
I've been reading these posts with interest as I am getting close to completion on a new shop and garage building as part of a move into town and major downsizing. Due to zoning limitations I was able to build a 24 by 40 foot building with a 12 by 40 attic room. There is a one car garage, a wood working shop area, and a metal shop area, all of approximately equal size. Since I'm in Western Wisconsin USA we get cold winters (minus 40 is possible but rare), so the building is fully insulated with spray foam in the walls and roof and 2" foam under and around the floor slab. I have a 12x24 Atlas/Craftsman lathe, an Atlas horizontal mill, a Grizzly mill-drill, a South Bend 9" lathe, drill press and a Rockwell wood/metal band saw for the metal shop, and will be moving them in once we get the walls of the shop areas painted.

nautilus29

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
I've been reading these posts with interest as I am getting close to completion on a new shop and garage building as part of a move into town and major downsizing. Due to zoning limitations I was able to build a 24 by 40 foot building with a 12 by 40 attic room. There is a one car garage, a wood working shop area, and a metal shop area, all of approximately equal size. Since I'm in Western Wisconsin USA we get cold winters (minus 40 is possible but rare), so the building is fully insulated with spray foam in the walls and roof and 2" foam under and around the floor slab. I have a 12x24 Atlas/Craftsman lathe, an Atlas horizontal mill, a Grizzly mill-drill, a South Bend 9" lathe, drill press and a Rockwell wood/metal band saw for the metal shop, and will be moving them in once we get the walls of the shop areas painted.
I wish I was as close as you are to setting up my shop! Sounds like you'll have a good working area.

I'm still struggling to decide what I want to do about a mill(s). We bought this property less than 2 years ago and I still have a lot of projects that need done to the house\ property. I'm afraid if I buy a haas or similar I'll use up my shop funds, and I won't be able to get other stuff for the shop for awhile.

WisJim

Reaction score
I looked at Haas mills online, and I think that a used Haas would be a bigger investment than the total that I have in all of my machines in my metal shop. Of course mine aren't of the same precision and are much older, but then again I'm probably not able to use even my machines to the limit of their capabilities. I've accumulated my tools over decades by watching ads and sales and buying what I could afford when my funds and the availability of tools happened to coincide.