• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Shipping US to Canada

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DHL was a great customer.

DHL was a industrial shipper.
It is suppressing to see to home delivery.

Dave

If you think UPS is bad - - - - - I would like to introduce you to DHL. UPS is a grab and a half but DHL goes one better!

With DHL you are expected to use insecure web forms to transmit your personal information and detailed information about the product to them so that they can properly 'import' the item. I've bought large ticket items in the past (large equipment hauled as a single load on a semi-trailer) and was able to self declare with no need for some brokerage service to charge me to look up the item code and print it on an form. With DHL - - - - - I would have needed to travel with my papers in hand to a Canada Border office in my nearest large city and hope that they would process my shipment. With Covid raging - - - - that was a non-starter. The first thing listed was the fees that they were collecting for their 'work'. What was fascinating was that it took 10 business days to get the process done - - - - good thing we have computers to make things faster!

International shipping used to be a lot easier and much simpler.
Governments seem to be adding headaches with absolutely goofy requirements that sound oh so reasonable until you have to figure your way through the bloody minefield! (rant off)
Shipping and logistics companies have found some very interesting ways to seriously increase their profits!

Also if you see exhortation shipping costs for items it;s because they don't want to be bothered with shipping to your location.
Yes, quite a few will change to USPS if you ask though but some that have exorbitant shipping charges because they list the goods with a low price, the unwary buy at the low price and get stuck with the high total cost. It's just marketing.
The other thing I've seen is that a couple of weeks ago there was discussions about the tool holder attachment for the U2 tool and cutter grinders for about $150 US with free shipping but the seller will not export. I went to Alibaba and the part was about $147 CDN but with $263 via DHL, I understand the $147 for the goods even though it was shipped free in the US for the same price but how can I justify the extra $263 shipping cost for 10 pounds? DHL is fairly quick but $263 for shipping and then there will be customs and brokerage fees? I used to be able to ship to a place in Niagara Falls, NY and go across and pick up items but that's off now too.
It's kind of weird logic but I could fly from Toronto to Miami, drive to Niagara Falls, NY via Phoenix, AZ, back to Miami via Portland, OR and fly back to Toronto and self isolate in my workshop with no problem but I can't make a half hour visit to pick up parts 2 miles from the border crossing.

If the seller put it in a bubble wrap envelope instead of a box you would get it for around 20 bucks. Last time I shipped to Australia I think it was 22 bucks. USPS first class international. The only problem is I cannot print a shipping label and dump it in the box. I have to take it to the post office to have it labeled and sent. If it will save someone 75 bucks I will make the 3 mile drive.

We (Canada) have the same issue, Steve. I can parcel something up, weight & dimension, select the shipping mode, print a sticker, pay the fee (ie. everything at home). Then throw in any mailbox & it gets delivered anywhere inside Canada. As soon as its an international shipment you have to deal with a post office due to customs forms. With Canada Post they prefer you do all the above including some description of contents (which saves stand in line time). But a humanoid gatekeeper has to check it over before shipping. Whats driving that extra step is 'different country'. So often times if I'm going to fill in an e-form, drop it off, it might just be the same effort to ship through Fedex to USA because the customs form is done online by me the shipper so its literally a hand it over at the counter. There are also Fedex dropoff mailbox equivalents but (here at least) its only for documents, not parcels.

But (this is directed to Canadians) check your directory for border shippers. I use one here called DYK. I suspect there are other similar companies. To ship you fill in a simplified form on their computer terminal, pay & leave. They truck daily to border to their border clearing facility. Then goes USPS to USA address. Always cheaper than Canada Post. Then on the reciprocal side, they truck back from border to Canada location. Fees are pretty reasonable & it solves the 'will only ship to a USA address' dilemma. You get a legitimate USA border address, not a PO box & its manned during business hours so packages can be signed if that's an issue. Then who cares if it arrives UPS, Fedex, USPS.. its shipped inside USA & generally quite inexpensive.

Latest posts

Back