sherline lathe for US$150 (never used)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alihureiby

Reaction score
hey guys

when i check the online shop in indonesia tokobagus.com and write it as "mesin bubut" that is "lathe" in indonesian. and find sherline lathe, check the city and come his house after 1 hours after watch online.

this is my lucky day :D, i got second hand sherline lathe (4100) for US$150
he is dont know how to use it :eek: , and he got the lathe as a gift in 97' (is this true? :eek: ) from his best friend in US, and never use it ,

here some picture of my sherline.
the one problem is the speed controller is not working and can someone tell me how the clean the corotion on chuck and bed?

thanks and sorry for my english
ali

P1050874 - Copy-Optimized.jpg

sherline lathe (1).jpg

sherline lathe (2).jpg

sherline lathe (3).jpg

sherline lathe (4).jpg

sherline lathe (5).jpg

P1050880-Optimized.jpg

gota love great deals on second hand or third hand tools with only closet wear.
Tin

gota love great deals on second hand or third hand tools with only closet wear.
Tin

Hate seeing these deals when I'm too broke to snatch them up. Can never have too many $150 quality, micro lathes. But since I'm property ally broke, I'm prophetically going to have to watch them pass me by.

;D;D this sherline like not second, but like save too long on werehouse.
maybe you can use my way. just check the online shop (like second hand shop in) and setting it on area, like me. i check the online shop when im online , if there is have somethink good i buy it and make upgrade/rebuilt and sold it again or i use it for personal ;)

ali

he one problem is the speed controller is not working and can someone tell me how the clean the corosion on chuck and bed?

some oil and scotch bright.

OPen up and take look at the speed controller . the thing is 15 years old and has traveled around the world. Loose or broken solder joint???
Tin

ahaa. thanks, but i have use vinegar and it work but still have little black mark, i will try scotch bright thanks
i have open and check it. nothing wrong but still not working (speed controller) :fan: , the motor run normal like new smell motor. maybe i will bring it to electronics service centre. i dont know about the IC . ;D

IMG_20131215_002204.jpg

IMG_20131215_002222.jpg

The motor you have is the AC motor. The speed control is a simple circuit just like a dimmer for lights. The part you see is probably a triac.

I would try to isolate the problem- remove the motor leads form the speed control and connect them directly to the AC power. If the motor runs at full speed you have a speed control problem. If the problem is in the speed control Id try an ordinary light dimmer. At least thats what Id do here in the states- I dont know what you have available.

Sherline changed to the DC motor with better control about the time you say this one was built. The DC motor is much more powerful, and works over a wider speed range. The AC motor will work, but if it turns out to be a serious problem to fix the motor I would by a DC motor before Id spend a penny on the old one.

The motor you have is the AC motor. The speed control is a simple circuit just like a dimmer for lights. The part you see is probably a triac.

I would try to isolate the problem- remove the motor leads form the speed control and connect them directly to the AC power. If the motor runs at full speed you have a speed control problem. If the problem is in the speed control Id try an ordinary light dimmer. At least thats what Id do here in the states- I dont know what you have available.

Sherline changed to the DC motor with better control about the time you say this one was built. The DC motor is much more powerful, and works over a wider speed range. The AC motor will work, but if it turns out to be a serious problem to fix the motor I would by a DC motor before Id spend a penny on the old one.

thank you Ron. i will try the light dimmer :D . anythink need change on light dimmer or just put it and it will work?

thanks
ali

Latest posts

Back