Setting up Shop Questions - from an NZ learner

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did do that initially for the factory stand but I did not use them as it was too unstable. You really won't have a problem as you are only talking about 100 kg per foot.

If you got socket head cap screws (eg. Allen key type), you could part off a piece of round stock in your lathe and bore a hole the same diameter as the bolt head. A couple of spot welds and it would be nice and neat.

Thats a nicer solution to what i had been thinking. I,ll need a nut on the top side to allow adjustment.

Or i spring for some "proper" vibration isolation feet. Think Machinery House do that sort of thing.

Having done some more on the lathe table design this is where its at. Did it in pdf form so it scales better for display.

Starting to look familiar. I may have found some tool box drawers for you

http://www.trademe.co.nz/building-r...ets-workshop-toolboxes/auction-1173182465.htm

It would need a slight rethink of your dimensions. Its 1216mm wide and your exterior dimensions are 1219mm. THe exterior width of my stand is 1275 mm and I have 1210 between the legs. Ask them, they may have one half the width.

On mine, I built the stand to the toolbox dimensions and the stand overhangs the drip tray at the ends. See here.

20161004_190349_zpsn4ynwup1.jpg

Having done some more on the lathe table design this is where its at. Did it in pdf form so it scales better for display.

View attachment 84452

My Boxford was put on a solid piece of rock,concrete will be alrigth also,and it gave a really dramatic improvement in sound and surface quality.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/showthread.php?t=18&page=36

Mass of Boxford is between 2 and 300 kg and granite block today is 800* 200 and 150 mm.On picture from 2010 it was wider but I had to prune it after moving to new home..
You will not realise the full potential of that nice lathe with a soft foundation

Starting to look familiar. I may have found some tool box drawers for you

http://www.trademe.co.nz/building-r...ets-workshop-toolboxes/auction-1173182465.htm

It would need a slight rethink of your dimensions. Its 1216mm wide and your exterior dimensions are 1219mm. THe exterior width of my stand is 1275 mm and I have 1210 between the legs. Ask them, they may have one half the width.

On mine, I built the stand to the toolbox dimensions and the stand overhangs the drip tray at the ends. See here.

Cheers.

Price is a bit of an ouch. $1400, essentially $700 NZD a draw unit. The joy of the Teng brand, good but expensive.

J,

Go to here, and using the LEFT HAND download button, download the little program. Ignore everything else on that page.

http://modelengineersutilities.software.informer.com/

When it is downloaded, just run the self extracting archive and it will put a program on your computer that you should find very useful. I use it all the time. It even has all the easy to understand settings for cutting spur gears and feeds and speeds for cutting most normal metals.

John

Cheers.

Price is a bit of an ouch. $1400, essentially $700 NZD a draw unit. The joy of the Teng brand, good but expensive.

I also saw a yellow box on that site which might be a bit more affordable but it had a lift up lid. That is OK as I used one like it on one side after removing the lid. Just it has some "hidden" storage that can never be used.

This turned up 2 weeks early. Slight problem in available space and that I now need to fast track lathe stand build with even more limited space. :eek:

IMG_2055.jpg

Its orange which isn't that great but its the only thing I have found that has the right size and a price point that isn't $500+. I'l not be able to use the top opening part but that is just too bad.
too152b_a_001-43024-500x500.jpg

Glad you found it!

Awesome that you have a mill now. If you think the lathe takes a while to get your head around, wait till you start playing with your mill. I had a very good link to a extensive series of videos put together by a US university to show students how to use the machine tools in their robotics workshop but I can't find it. Maybe somebody can help me find it for you.

It is far and away the best resource I ever found online and what I used to compile my tooling wishlist that I scoured the world to find.

Rod - that sounds very interesting. Was it on YouTube? Itunes? Or just floating about the net?

Right I have my steel and am ready to make sparks. I have refined the design a bit to allow for the drawer unit and a shelf. But I'm not flush on metal so I have done things so I can add another shelf at the bottom of the stand at a later date.

If I've done something dumb please let me know. Thanks.

DrawDesign.jpg

Have you finished it yet?

The cuts begin early Saturday morning. I then do a flying visit to Save Barn to check out the tool chest to make sure its not junk, and buy it if its ok. Then back and more cutting and then SPARKS as we fuse metal! :)

I think that the videos that Rod is referring to are found here. http://techtv.mit.edu/collections/ehs-videos/videos
I watched all of these when I first started machining and found them very informative.

Very cool. They used to be on iTunes from the looks of it but MIT seem to be doing screwy stuff. Fortunately I have figured out how to ensure I don't lose access to them.

Couple of lathe tools turned up this morning :thumbup:

Parting off tool designed to act like a tool in a rear post but operates on the front with lathe running in reverse.
eccentric - 2.jpg

RH tangential tool holder plus I have some crobalt tool steel for this as well as the HSS steel that comes with it.
eccentric - 1.jpg

Parting off with the tool upside down in the front and lathe running in reverse
I think we have just discussed the benefit of a bolted on chuck versus the screw on nose
And all the forces are trying to lift the tool/tool post and not forcing down against the bed
Not a good idea

Latest posts

Back