Setting up my new shop

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You had better get it together soon John.

I certainly looks like Bandit's patience are beginning to wear thin there! ;)

Not to mention I'm looking forward to seeing come together...

Rick

Poor ol' Bandit thinks you've sold his basket as well as the machine's :(

Neer mind John t'will all come reight soon, ...... 8) ...... in the meantime you can keep busy counting collets .............. anyway, look back to the blast finger engine comp, all you need is a penknife, string and gaffer tape ;D and you will probably still be streets ahead of most of us ;)

CC

I just thought I should post a message on this thread . . the big holes created my the missing machinery were caused by me ;D ;D
It's all waiting in the garage until I can get the workshop ready for them within a week or so.
It took 2 tries to come and collect the machinery, the first attempt resulted in a broken fuel pump on the van less than 5 miles from Johns house :mad:
Second time though my Dad and I made it.
Thanks for the machinery John, and in helping load the van.
I just hope I can live up to the expectations created by owning this pair of machines

Matt

MattMoore said:
I just hope I can live up to the expectations created by owning this pair of machines

Welcome aboard Matt ;D ............. don't worry, your off to a good start equipment wise, no doubt you'll add the rest ;D

Look forward to seeing what you get up to 8)

CC

Matt,

I didn't want to mention your name as it is a personal thing when deals are struck.

But now you are out in the open, I hope you are happy with the deal you got, and if you need any help, I am only a phone call or email away.

I really liked your attitude to the acceptance of old machinery. If looked after and cherished, they can better a lot of new machinery hands down. I showed you the basics of my (now yours) lathe, and you would be hard pushed to find the same facilities on new machinery costing thousands more. I hope you liked the demo of parting off under power, that impresses everyone.

Just enjoy every minute of your new, soon to be found skills, and you won't regret anything.

Be safe, be happy.

John

Right, starting from scratch again, I had a mate round and he suggested a few things that might help with my congestion in the shop. Isn't it nice having input to help, I was really struggling on how I was going to fit everything in.

When I built the shop, I put a partition wall in, that gave me a small 4ft wide storage shed, to put all the dreaded garden equipment and other stuff. Last week the final bit of the garden was finished. The only things that will grow in it is weeds, it is covered all over in paving slabs and gravel. So all garden stuff is now out, except for the weedkiller sprayer and power washer. My garden maintenance is now 30 mins every couple of months spraying weedkiller and half a day a year, power washing down the paving slabs.

Anyway back to enjoyable bits. My man suggested putting the miller across the corner, the one on Bandit's left in the pic. I was going to do that anyway, but he also suggested I put my surface grinder across the other corner, on Bandits right hand side. Then, punch a doorway thru the partion between the two machines (on the wall behind Bandit), build a substantial high bench in there, put the new compressor under the bench with all my inside metal stash as well. Then on top of the bench put all my little used machinery, 3 in 1 roll, guillotine and bender, plus the heavy presses and everything else that I use very rarely. Most of my problems have now been solved.

The neighbour who I like, is a bit of a woodworker, so he has already had his instructions on what is needed, with payment being first choice of the things I am throwing out. Just got to get a few people organised to come down and pick up the things I said they could have for nothing, and all is set to start very soon.

Even though I have no machines, I still go down to the scrapyard to pick up some cheap materials. Went down yesterday and the place was devoid of almost everything. The price of brass has shot up to £3 ($6) a kilo, a month ago £2. So they got rid when they could make a real good profit. Anyway all I managed to get were four 6" diameter by about 1" to 1.5" thick brass bar end. Weighed in at 9 kilos (£27). They will make great looking flywheels.

Peter (HS93) sent me an email with a picture of I think Dick Dastardly & Mutley, and said I should change my avatar. I personally like to think I am a bit more like Wallace and bandit is Gromit. So until I cut my first piece of metal in anger on my new machines, I am changing my piccy yet again.

The big throwout starts on Monday, so I will start to show a few piccies of the progress.

Bogs

I like the new avatar John....Very fitting :big:

I see a message in there somewhere!...... P.M. incoming ;D

Looking forward to the new shop then..... It is a little like working hard for your own Xmas prezzie! But at least you know you will like this one ;D

Ralph.

I wasn't getting at you Ralph, your earmarked bits are nothing compared to what has to go.

I think I have enough hand tools to start my own two bay garage, so if you need any, and see anything while you are visiting, just ask and it will be yours.

A workshop, to me, should be like an old pair of slippers. Something you feel real comfortable in, with no hassles. My old layout was just like that, I could scoot about on my chair, and find and do almost anything I wanted with no problems. I am hoping this one will be the same. There is nothing worse than struggling with a shop layout when you are in the process of making something.

John

Setting up a shop was/is great fun. I can imagine it is very enjoyable for you start from scratch and "do it right". I've been "setting" mine up for the last three years and it isn't even close to how I want it to be, I keep getting side tracked on some project I want to do. This is why I mentioned elsewhere, I like to put all my machines on wheels or portable stands so I can move them around if I need to.

I look forward to see your "final solution"

John,

I like your new avitar, so long as you don't start building a rocket to take you and bandit to the moon to harvest some cheese ! :big: :big: :big:

Bret, now that is a good idea, I am partial to a bit of Stilton.

The work now starts. The time has arrived to get my finger out and get it done, planned time, about a fortnight if all goes well. I am having to rely on other people so timescales can get lost.

So here is the primer, just to see what is to be done in the first stages.

This is part of my rear garden, it contains my shop. I have moved the bench base where it is easy to move around for when the machines come. I put Bandit's bed under it, and he seems happy enough now he has found his old place in the world.
Outside access is thru the metal door at the end of the shop, when the exercise is finished, it will be locked up from the inside and access will only be thru the shop. But if something nasty were to happen, I will be able to use this door as an escape route.
If you notice the large bushes at the back, that is where most of the wooden finger engine came from. I hate the chap that lives there with a vengance. I will tell you a story sometime, about when a gang of us took down a 30ft tree in his garden while he was at work.

workshop5.jpg

This is a closer picture of the entrance door. If you notice at the right hand side of the door, there is a gate. This gives access, thru a narrow opening onto a concreted area behind the shop, and I think I will be putting a small plastic storage shed in there, so not everything has to be disposed of.

workshop6.jpg

This now shows the problem I am up against, all this has to be removed before anything can be done. It is layers deep with tools, motors, metal and WHY. A typical garden storage shed.
If you look at the top of the ic, there is a red circle. I was putting the ladders back the other day and accidently hit the cement board roof, duly causing a nasty open crack. When I purchased the bits to make the shop, I ensured that a few spare panels came with it, as you do. So this can be repaired in about an hour, by unbolting the offending part, sliding the old out and new in, drill and rebolt.

workshop7.jpg

X marks the spot. This is where the new sliding door will be, hopefully self closing by putting a slight angle on the support runners.
I also have a fairly large storage area above the workshop ceiling, there is all sorts stored up there at the moment, but it offers a way out for lighter items to disappear into there.

workshop8.jpg

So everything starts in earnest this evening, when it cools down a bit. It must be touching 70 deg F at the moment, a bit too warm just yet. I have got the yolk out for the wife, she can do all the heavy stuff, it really makes me sweat watching her struggling.

Bogs

First tool gloat coming up.

Just ordered this a few minutes ago.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/sev11c-ol-air-compressor

This will be going into the first stage part of the shop rebuild.
I was going to put in a vertical compressor, but because the HP was too high for my normal mains supply, I have had to go with a max of 2HP, also this will fit under the bench, so taking up no walking area space.

There will be no electrical hand tools in my workshop at all, in fact I am thinking of making an air driven very high speed precision mini pedestal drill (40- 50K rpm). The die grinder motor to power it is under £10 ($20). A bit noisier than electrics, but much cheaper than a dedicated electrical one, and a lot easier to control the speed. It isn't as though it will be on permanently.

John

I look forward to seeing your 2 stage turbine running off that compressor John, and seeing how it goes ands sounds with 9 CFM to push it around and 100 litres in the tank.

Was the 30 footer the beautiful Leylandi John? ? :big:
I know how much you strive for precision so hanging a door to "Fall" must grate a bit, String, weight, pulley? We had one like this on the toolrooom sliding door when I was an underpaid slave(apprentice) Some of the "Lads" waited till the foreman went to his ab looshuns and added one or two lumps of tool steel onto the end. Oh there was a wrending of teeth and a gnashing of hair when he got back in. And verily he did chastise us.
Regards Ian

Al,

I think even the little turbine will have trouble emptying this one. better have have too much than not enough.

Ian,

It was actually a 30ft Ash tree. My garden used to be like the black hole of Calcutta until it mysteriously disappeared.
Actually I am hoping the door will use gravity rather than weights.

John

Hi John, Those are a really nice compressor, I have just upgraded from a similar unit on 2 of my vans. I never really had any problems with them apart from replacing the auto cut off switch 3 times on 1 of the units ( I still have no idea why it kept failing), thankfully they usually fail safe.

I have been trialing these funny little recieverless units which are just incredible. They are twin cylinder oil-less 11.6 CFM. The only reason I am trying these is that there are rumours about new EU legislation on compressors in working vehicles but I have been really pleasantly surprised by the performance and they are so small!!

http://gentilin.trustpass.alibaba.com/product/101226148/C330_03_Air_Compressor.html

not long now 'till you can start marmalising some metal!!

David

David,

What's the ball park price of that compressor please, not that I have a need but am terminally nosy.

Al

I have a small 12 gallon unoiled compressor, and it's really noisy. I recently bought a 60 gallon oiled vertical that will go into the new shop when built. Much quieter.

I also have a 20 lb. CO2 tank that I use for offroading (i.e., re-inflating tires). I've also used it to run nail guns, inflate beach toys, etc., any place where the compressor won't go. I suspect I'll be using that for any model engines I eventually build as it's easy to regulate the pressure.

Back