Setting up my new shop

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave,

What you have to remember with power hacksaws, they usually cut on the backwards stroke for some reason (does anyone know why?), so you have to mount the blade with the teeth facing backwards.
Just another bit of useless info.

John

Just a guess on why they cut backward but if memory serves that pulls the work into the fixed jaw of the vice. This seem more stable to me anyway, I know the continuous blade bandsaws all seem to run with the blade pulling the work against the fixed jaw as well, at least all I have run in the last 20 years.

Brian

Thanks for that Brian, it seems very logical when you think about it.

Thats what comes with not thinking

John

I never had any success pushing a piece of string :big: It's the rigidity thing John, same theory as climb millling.
Regards Ian.
PS. Most top wood hackers swear by the "Japanese" pull saws. Sadly it used to be an old apprentice trick to put the blade in "Backwards" in the hacksaw frame, much rending of teeth and gnashing of hair.

Ian,

That was my favourite trick with apprentices, it took them forever to saw thru a thin bar. Then you got the ones who thought it was caused by a blunt blade, changed it, but put it in the same way the old one came out. No logical thinking some people.

John

Sorry about the late reply
That reminds me, Ralph, I may have a little job for you.
.... I've been camping (no that does not refer to dressing up and waving at strange men!!) 4 days of glorious British sunsine and 2 random hours of rain in the middle... Who could complain about that? Not me ;D (it's taking a while to wade through the missed posts!!)

What little job is that then John? ...I may be interested in that 'super duper thumping thingy' myself.... If it isn't gone already? (don't know where the hell I'd fit it in but I'd sure try!! ;D )

I like what you've done with the place too ;D Looks like a shop is coming together ;)

Ralph.

Ralph,

The little job would be putting a sledge thru that 2 cwt of 'super duper thumping thingy' . It is such a lot of cast iron to go to waste if I take it down the scrappies.
If you think the surface plate was heavy, even someone your size would have trouble going it alone.

By the way, that 'super duper thumping thingy' is in fact a toggle press and worth a rather large dollop of readies, even second hand. Great for punching holes in things, and putting together bits that shouldn't really fit, they have no option. Give me a call and make me an offer I can't refuse, and that doesn't mean taking bandits' head off.

John

This is for Steve,

Now is the right time for a tool gloat. I ain't got no tools, but I got the tooling.

Today, I managed to get the storage shed to a stage where I could store tooling rather than junk. So all my little storage areas around the garden were nearly emptied, some things couldn't go in because they are too large or needed for the main shop.
This what it looks like now from the outside, very similar to what I started out with.

workshop20.jpg

Now to start the listing, a full set of 1/64th 5c collets, a full set of 1mm 5c collets, a set of imperial square 5c, a set of metric square 5c. Hex aren't needed, that can be held in standard round if you are careful on placement.
Piled onto the bandsaw are sets of parallels, good quality replaceable tipped tooling for the lathe (all my tooling is now standardised, if you include the profile tool and parting off tool, to three tip types), magnetic v-blocks, plus other things that come in boxes.

workshop21.jpg

This is a wide shot of other bits and pieces for the machines.
A lot of special stuff amongst this lot, an Arc Euro spin indexer, that accepts both ER32 and 5c collets, a lovely conversion job by them, very ingenious. A few new bandsaw blades for the old diehard Black and Decker, this has been an indispensable machine for more years than I can remember, and is as good today as it ever was, one of my best birthday gifts ever. The other bits I will do a close up explanation.

workshop22.jpg

These bits are for the largest conversions on my soon to be delivered (hopefully) new mill and lathe. A 3 axis readout for the mill, plus a read head for the z axis knee (it comes with x & y already fitted). Also two read heads for the lathe, coupled with the two that will come already fitted, will give me 4 axis readout.

workshop23.jpg

This is the first closeup shot. Amongst this lot are a 5" 3 jaw, a 5" four jaw self centering (both plus soft jaws), a ready fitted D1-4 5C collet chuck, 160mm 4 jaw self centering (plus soft jaws), plus all required backplates. The collet and 160mm chucks will be fitted to the lathe. The 5" ones are destined for my rotary tables and dividing head. I have decided to go for a standard fitting for my 5" chucks, that is standard myford, so both chucks will fit all RT's in a matter of seconds.
In the middle is a 3MT mandrel with a rotating disc fitted. This will be turned to accept an 80mm chuck, and is destined for the tailstock on the lathe.

workshop24.jpg

This shot shows from right to left, a load of assorted pneumatic tools ranging from high speed cut off saw to powered screwdriver and file. Below them are rolls of emery that I have been picking up off eBay at ridiculously low prices.
The air tools are sitting on boxes of reamers, plus next to them are a new set of boring tools plus a range of mag bases for dti's and mill chip screens.
Next along are wheels and soaps for the new 8" buffing machine, followed by DTI's, more lathe tooling and parallels.

workshop25.jpg

This shot shows a few of the drill sets in here (there are more at the back of the shelves) plus the head and readout for the quill on the mill and a kindly donated power supply for it made by our own John S of triple Halo fame.

workshop26.jpg

On here are various sizes hand tightening drill chucks, to be used on the mill, and in the lathe tailstock, plus two that will be fitted onto a six head tailstock turret, that will also have rotating centre, tapping and dieing heads plus a centre drill head. The very small Jacobs chuck is going to be used for making a very high speed air powered drilling machine.
Also there, but not in full view is a set of very expensive expanding mandrels, that work on a reverse ER collet system. I have two more sizes of that to buy yet, then I will have the full set of 5.5mm to 25mm+.
Lots of mandrels and adaptors as well. Also on there are a high quality three head flycutter and a couple of new internal mic's.

workshop27.jpg

Methinks you have had enough by now, so I will leave the rest to a future time, maybe when I have them all by the new machinery.

Gloat temporarily over.

Bogs

Been there, seen that.... Seriously I have been there and seen all of that!! ;D
It was kind of all over the place in various nooks and cranny's!

Good to see the place shaping up John ;D

I really will have to earn a lot to be able to get half way to what you have there.... Better learn how most of it works first before I go trying to afford it though Ehh?? ;)

Just two loverly big machines to go in and your almost sorted! ;D

Ralph.

Good to see things are progressing Bogsie ;) ........... any updated machine delivery dates, or at least do we know if the ship has left harbour yet ................ good luck with the "climbing wall" syndrome, ....... perhaps :D try a modest application of alcohol if all else fails :)

Anyway, back to important things, where's Bandit's bed going ;D

CC

Ralph,

When it is all finished, you can come down and play as much as you like to learn how everything works.

Just a note here, a lot of this stuff is totally uneccessary in our little shops and doing what we do. Most of this stuff is for other work, that has to be turned around quickly, so time saving is the essence. Rather than making a mandrel to hold a part, I can just get one from a rack that will do the job straight away. For what we do on here, time doesn't come into it.

The offer to Ralph is also open to anyone who cares to drop in. I live just off the M6 half way up the country, so if you are on a long journey and fancy a break for an hour, just call in for a coffee. No charge, just good hospitality and chew the fat a bit.

If you need a bit of assistance with something, say your lathe isn't big enough to make the part you want, the offer is also open. In fact I will be having an open workshop most of the time. If you are going to be in the area, a quick call and you can just drop in for a chat. There is only one problem, once Bandit gets to know you, you will be licked into submission.

Dave,

I am hoping to bring the mill in some time next week, it depends how quick Chester UK can get all the mods done, the lathe comes into the country at the end of August.

Bandit will be having a special shelf made for under my bench, basically where it was before, just a bit more comfortable. He will be able to stretch out on his back with legs in the air, his usual pose when sleeping.

Bogs

Bogstandard said:
Bandit will be able to stretch out on his back with legs in the air, his usual pose when sleeping

Good to hear the lil' feller is in the equation ;D .............. he sounds a bit like one of my swarf magnets ::)

2005_0912Image0082-1.jpg

Dave

John
It was terribly nice of Chester UK to let you wander around in their place with your camera...(evil grin). Well stocked shelves they have there... eh? I will be almost as happy to see you get back to work as your wife will be...LOL

It would appear you're going to have a shop to make any machinist salivate. The only problem is that you'll have so many toys that you won't be able to find the one you want, for the next couple of years.

Supremely jealous
Steve

Who's $20.00 tail stock turret buy, today, suddenly pales to insignificance....LOL

You know I'm going to have to come down to help you test the accuracy of your new machines John... How else will I get to see Marv's flywheel prog' working.... I'm sure that once I see someone do it then I will be able to pick it up quite quickly.... I've always been better watch and learn rather than read and translate!?!
I will also have many other questions though... like 'whats that for' (the most common one!) and how did you do that? :big:

I bet your all excited now as the dawn of the mill approaches ;D

Ralph.

(Steve... what's a tailstock turret.... do I need one ;) :big: )

John,there will now be 1048 members drooling all over their keyboards :big:
I just hope that when you've got your shop up and running,you don't "burn out" the enjoyment of machining.Don't let stress get the better of you.
But if you're as laid back as your posts suggest,I don't think we need to worry.Then there's always Bandit to keep you sane :).

Bogstandard said:
The offer to Ralph is also open to anyone who cares to drop in. I live just off the M6 half way up the country, so if you are on a long journey and fancy a break for an hour, just call in for a coffee. No charge, just good hospitality and chew the fat a bit.

Bogs

That's handy, I am often up and down the A500 doing the Newcastle, Warrington, St Helens run.

Bentprop,

I would in all fairness have loved to have gone with older, better quality machinery and tooling. But because I am on a budget for this exercise (£10k), I decided to go the Far Eastern route (or east European). It is no use bringing in large super quality machinery, if after it is all installed you can't move in there. Doing it the way I have, the machinery, because of such a choice, can be suited to the size of the workshop. It just means that I will have to spend a little more time fine tuning to get them to an acceptable level.
Don't get me wrong on this though, a minute portion of the tooling is rather suspect, but I have also found that the majority of it is now well above good useable standards. If I had tried to do this using home grown tooling, my budget would have to be doubled at least.
But even through all this, my engineering prowess always comes back to my two favourites, my Starrett edge finder and my Verdict DTI. Get the little bits right and the big bits will follow.

John,

It couldn't be easier, as the A500 meets J16 of the M6 carry on for Crewe, and then follow the sign for the hospital, it takes you right past my house about 10 to 15 mins later. If no one answers the front door, ring the little bell above the side gate and you will be greeted by Bandit first, then me dragging my heels from the workshop.

John

John,
Thanks, I do a fair bit of traveling for these CNC machines. Horncastle, Ashbourne and Leicester already this week so it's handy to have break point built into a run ;)
Beats sitting in a cafe when you have like minded folk to share idea's with.

The guy who does a lot of my electronics boards is on the A500 at Newcastle but the J15 end.

BTW I'm pleased you liked my spin indexer.

Latest posts

Back