Scotch Type Marine Boiler

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definately no offence taken at all John, it takes a lot to wind me up :big:

Anyway back to the build.

Cheers, Neil

Bogstandard said:
Flash steam is having a bit of a resurrection here in the UK, and some are using electronics for the control of burners and water injection.

Have a Google search for 'Model Boat Mayhem' and when you open it up, search the site for 'flash steam'. There are people doing wonderful things with it on there.

John

Now you've got me interested I was only thinking the other day how I could marry up this new hobby with my electronics/electrical eng/IT background. Done a fair bit with micro controllers and have the facilities to make small PCB's so it would be a good match. I've registered on the site but can't see some of the pics. I'll wait until I get authorised.

Downside, it looks like a bit more time on the PC and less in the workshop.

Pete

Hi Pete you need to be logged in to see the pics on that forum.Are you planning to fit electronic boiler level control and attenuator valve for flame control .Peter Arnold and Malcolm Beak wrote some good articles on these a few years ago and they work well although the electronics could now probably replaced with a programmable pic .Theres some good ideas as Bogs mentions especially on my favourite flash steam although its been a long time since I built any as Bob Kirtly took the speed record over 100mph I believe and i was struggling to get over70 so gave up :big:Nice looking boiler.
regards frazer

Frazer

Got authorized and access to the pictures and flashtwo's thread. Extremely interesting although he seems to have gone off on another tack with a steam jetboat. I've PM'd him to see if I can get more details. I've no intention of doing any electronic controls on this boiler but its an idea for the future.

100mph is amazing, the record in the book I had was around 35mph in 1949 so I'd be pretty pleased with myself with if I'd got anywhere near 70mph. Perhaps we should start a flash steam thread under the boilers topic??

OK guys flash steam discussion in this thread is now closed and back to the job in hand. Which for me is making bushes. Did two last night after work and its Coro night here so an opportunity to escape tonight and do some more.

Pete

Hi Pete,I was just curiouse as when I design/build my small boilers I'm now in the habit of having a couple of spare bushes fitted to the boiler just in case I need to fit any other fittings usually one at the top for say a level probe and another on one of the end caps.Saves having to T up at a later date as I always seem to forget something but that's typical of me.Enjoying the build as iv never built this type of boiler but starting to be tempted .Have you seen P Arnots wet back centre flue boiler its a good steamer iv built a couple for boats and they cope well with your oscillator engine.Just one question as I don't know will you have to use forced draught on the boiler?
regards Frazer

Frazer

I've got a couple of spare bushes. One on the steam dome and one on the top. The one on top is for the check valve if I ever get to run a water pump on it. Maybe it should have been on the side, but its on top. Truth be known this engine and boiler is highly unlikely to see a boat, but you never know. I'll probably get it fired up tune it up a bit, mount it on a nice piece of hardwood for display and move on to my next project. I really want to get to doing a decent twin cylinder with steam chests and make good job of it. The things I've done over the past months have really been a sort of self enforced apprenticeship to see if I could make something half decent, with the aim of working up to a real project.

I haven't seen P Arnots boiler. As you've probably realized I have been grabbing every bit of boiler info I can and pooling it to come up with this. But I haven't seen that particular boiler as far as I can tell.

I got out into the shop tonight and made the two extended bushes for the water gauge that go through the smoke box. A redraw is in order as I didn't do them to the plans but that can wait until the weekend. Anyway I was busy turning away thinking about things and it crossed my mind, "These bushes go through the smoke box, will they act like superheaters for the water going to the water gauge and I'll end up with some strange effects on the indicated water level?" The only way I'll know is carry on and see what happens.

Anyway that's it for now 10:45pm in NZ and work tomorrow

Pete

Isn't it strange what goes through our minds when machining as to the level gauge sorry I don't know how it will be affected .Thanks for the reply the questions are not meant as criticism of the design but just to clarify some points of interest as Iv been looking to build a scale model of Windermere Steamer and the the available boiler space is very small .
regards Frazer

doubletop said:
These bushes go through the smoke box, will they act like superheaters for the water going to the water gauge and I'll end up with some strange effects on the indicated water level? The only way I'll know is carry on and see what happens.

Pete

Pete,

My guess is that if anything you will get a sightly higher water reading in the glass compared to the actual level in the boiler. With the sizes and distances involved I doubt it will be of any real concern.

Hope this helps

Best Regards
Bob

Bob

Thanks for the advice its encouraging to know I should be on the right side of "will it work?"

So we will see in due course; the weekend lies ahead so some more progress should be made and I may even get around to soldering a few parts together.

Pete

fcheslop said:
Thanks for the reply the questions are not meant as criticism of the design but just to clarify some points of interest as Iv been looking to build a scale model of Windermere Steamer and the the available boiler space is very small .
regards Frazer

Frazer

Sorry missed your post; I didn't even consider your observation as criticism I took it more as a checkpoint "what have I missed". The great thing about this forum is everybody looking over your shoulder pointing you in the right direction. It would probably be impossible to quantify the advice we recieve here. How many books, copies of your favorite model engineering mag, $ in wasted materials, time in the library would it have taken compared to an overnight response? (better shut up otherwise someone will take note, the site will get sold and we'll be paying a subscription before we know it)

Pete

Thanks Pete,cannot agree more the way members give up time and advice to others is fantastic and the wealth of knowledge absolutely remarkable.I really think that it is an inspiring site I know I'm a lot more careful about the finish than I used to be due to the bling master :big:
regards and best wishes Frazer

Today I manged to finish all the bushes

DSCF4792.jpg

Push fit on the body to see what they'll look like

DSCF4794.jpg

All the parts now made and ready to start assembly

DSCF4800.jpg

So its now all in the pickle getting a good soak, ready to make a start tomorrow.

Pete

You have done a fantastic job up to now Pete, :bow: now comes the anal sphincter twitch, sticking it all together, and no, super glue won't do it. scratch.gif

Just like machining, get your stage process worked out first, :noidea: and make sure you have enough heat available, in fact err on the side of too much if you can. There is nothing worse than having a soldering job freeze up on you.

Good luck with your next expedition.

John

Thanks John

As you well know we've been here before. However this time I know what to expect. In fact I've already done the cross pipes in the main burner tube and its back in the pickle ready for inspection in the morning. I'll go over it with a fine tooth comb. You don't get a second chance with that bit, if it leaks in the pressure test the whole think is scrap as you can't get it out again to fix it.

BTW been on to "flashtwo" on the MB Mayhem site and he's given me a few more details of his micro controlled flash setup. So I have few thoughts there and started sketching some ideas.

Also you got a mention in one of the recent posts about restarting a single cylinder engine and reference some "jiggler" (or some-such) gizmo. You may want to take a look.

All the best.

Pete

Pete,

I can't view that post.

I was banned from that site when I told the idiot who runs it where to stick his rules and regulations.

I am quite capable of reading and understanding rules, and he started to quote a few things to a couple of us quite unnecessarily, so hopefully he has now got a rules & regs shaped ar*****e.

His loss, not mine, because I was one of the resident engineering helper outerers on there. Anyone with an engineering problem usually got it solved, usually by me giving instructions on how to do it, or making the part for them.

The lads on there now correspond by email to me if they have a problem.

John

Pete, the best way to deal with that tube with its cross tubes is to butt solder a couple of flat tubes on the ends (soft solder will do) and pressure test it before it goes into the assembly.

Bogstandard said:
I am quite capable of reading and understanding rules, and he started to quote a few things to a couple of us quite unnecessarily, so hopefully he has now got a rules & regs shaped ar*****e.

John

As you say, their loss. I sense you have little time for "jobsworths".

Neil

Thanks I'm feeling good about it this time round

tel said:
Pete, the best way to deal with that tube with its cross tubes is to butt solder a couple of flat tubes on the ends (soft solder will do) and pressure test it before it goes into the assembly.

Tel

Great idea and I'll do just that, thanks.

Yet another helpful gem from this forum

Pete

Pete, On my last centre flue boiler I tested the flue by blanking the end with demijohn rubber plugs .Drilled a hole down them one had a plain nut and bolt through the other had a nut and bolt with a centre drilled hole tapped to take a pressure gauge .The plugs are pushed in the flue then tighten the bolts up they act a bit like anchor bolts and held up to about 40psi enough to prove he flue was sound. The plugs are the ones they use for the air lock when brewing wine hope this makes sense
Frazer

Back