Scotch Type Marine Boiler

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was great Pete.
Beautiful looking boiler.
Thanks very much for the video.

Looks like the project is almost complete Pete, very well done indeed.

I like the idea of having more steam than you need, that means multiple engines can be run at the same time...... any thoughts on maybe a steam powered feedwater pump?

Any sign of interference in the level guage from the tube extentions heating up ?

Cheers, Neil

Well done Pete.

Some day a boiler is on my to do list

Ron

Carl/Ron/Neil

Thanks for your support. Tidy up time this weekend, its stripped down and in the pickle getting cleaned right now. Just about to pop out and get a bit of wood for a base. I'm working on the fixing to the support feet. It wasn't well thought through and not finished but had an inspiration during the week and I am halfway through a solution and just woken up with further ideas. We'll see how that goes.

Neil

I've made provision for a clack and had thought about a water pump off the engine. However, this is a wobbler and I think if they get too heavily loaded they would be more prone to blowing the cylinders and faces apart. I could do a separate pump but my inclination is to do what I set out to do, a 'proper' twin cylinder with valve chests. Maybe Bogs Paddleduck. I'm sure that could support a water pump.

Thanks for reminding me of the water gauge issue. There is a problem with the gauge during the multiple combination's of burners at one point it was burning out of the air holes and boiling the water in the glass tube. I fixed that with a plate between the burner and the gauge. It was removed when the burner worked properly but I may put it back. I am not convinced I am getting a true reading from the gauge, but it is working. But I don't believe the bushes are heating up excessively. The burner is throwing the heat into the center of the boiler past the bushes. Buy the time it gets back again, down the return flues the temp is way down.

Thanks again guys

Pete

Hi Pete,Nice steam plant I know what its like with the burners for some reason mine never seem to work on completing the boiler but worked fine before .I find that fitting a small coil of old heater wire in the flue seems to help in preventing flame out .The twin oscillator should drive a feed pump as this is the type of engine I use in my boats .Hope you don't mind I have attached a pic of one of my open launch plants you can see the pumps and the boiler feet ,if the pics a problem I will remove it
005-1.jpg

best wishes Frazer

Pete,

Very Very nice. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

fcheslop said:
Hi Pete,Nice steam plant I know what its like with the burners for some reason mine never seem to work on completing the boiler but worked fine before .I find that fitting a small coil of old heater wire in the flue seems to help in preventing flame out .The twin oscillator should drive a feed pump as this is the type of engine I use in my boats .Hope you don't mind I have attached a pic of one of my open launch plants you can see the pumps and the boiler feet ,if the pics a problem I will remove it

best wishes Frazer

Frazer

Absolutely no problem with you posting pics on the thread

That looks very nice thanks. The tip for the hot wire re-igniter is a neat idea, I had wondered how people managed to save the situation after a 'flame out' with nobody in the cockpit to do the restart checklist. Floating bomb comes to mind.

Pete

This weekend was tidy up time and I decided to giv it a bit of a paint

Before

DSCF4861.jpg

The paint

DSCF4907.jpg

All together with the engine.

DSCF4939.jpg

DSCF4947.jpg

DSCF4948.jpg

DSCF4950.jpg

DSCF4952.jpg

No it's not going in a boat I'm afraid, unless I need a break from the metalworking at some point and decide to do one.

Hope you've all enjoyed the journey

Pete

Thanks John

I've enjoyed this one, and of course the fact it started out as a sketch on a pad has made it even more satisfying.

Your assistance, as always, has been appreciated and having you, and the rest of the team, as my mentor has made the journey way easier than struggling along by myself.

I do need to get the drawings updated, which will require a bit of reverse engineering so I may do that in the coming evenings. Then I need to work out what to build next. It could well be Paddleduck, I just need to find a cylinder block.

Pete

Pete,

If you do decide on the paddleducks engine, to run on steam, the cylinder really should be cast iron, or at a push, brass, and if possible, shape it how I have done on the blinged one, that way there is less mass to warm up and keep warm.
For running on air, those points don't really come into it, it can be made of almost anything and whatever shape.

John

Bogstandard said:
Pete,

If you do decide on the paddleducks engine, to run on steam, the cylinder really should be cast iron, or at a push, brass, and if possible, shape it how I have done on the blinged one, that way there is less mass to warm up and keep warm.
For running on air, those points don't really come into it, it can be made of almost anything and whatever shape.

John

It is cast iron I was going to use as I haven't worked with that yet, so I do want to see how it machines. Also wanted to try making the Bogs fly cutter. I had planned to go to the scrap yard this weekend but had to do something else. Top of the agenda for next week though.

Pete

Pete, very well done indeed ! :bow:

Good quality cast iron is very nice to machine, though a bit messy.

Regards, Arnold

Excellent work on the boiler.

Have plenty of soap ready, the graphite from the cast iron really works into your hands. Mix a little oil in it and it gets everywhere.

Ron

Beautiful boiler and engine. Very nice.
Shame about the boat. ;D

What is that one piece used for? The tube sitting under the fuel inlet?

Thanks Arnold, Ron and Carl

zeeprogrammer said:
What is that one piece used for? The tube sitting under the fuel inlet?

The tube is the gas jet, a short length of copper pipe and the gas hose connector. It sort of looks messy when its in place

Pete

Pete

I'll add my "well done" to you as well. That turned out really good looking, as well as useful.
You've reinforced my desire to get going on a boiler one of these days.

Cheers, Joe

Really enjoyed this thread always the first one I would look at a big :bow: thumbs up from me.
By the way it really should go into a boat.
Mark

Thanks Joe and Mark, and sorry no boat just yet.

Here's the final contribution, as promised, the updated set of plans. There may be a few dimensions missing and no doubt some errors but I'm sure you guys get the general idea. I've only got Visio 5 so no flash CAD stuff I'm afraid.

Pete

(I'll post them in the download pages as well)

View attachment Visio-Scotch Marine v6.pdf

Latest posts

Back