Santa came early

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedge

Reaction score
Just unloaded and uncrated the new C4 lathe and wrestled it onto the counter top. Will be doing the red grease shuffle, most of this evening. Photos to follow in the "Show Us Yours thread, once I've fought the red grease to a draw.

I know... I know.....
Worthless post without photos, but humor me....LOL

Steve

Cedge said:
I know... I know.....

Hey .............. no pressure Steve ......... honest .........

I'll check back in an hour or so ;)

CC

Good one Cedge,

Wanna borrow my camera....... ::)

Best Regards
Bob

worthless.gif

Eric

OK ANY PICTURES YET. I'M BACK FROM THE PUB NOW !!!!!

Malcolm ??? ??? ???

Hold the posse there compadres.... it aint quite soup yet. I got shanghaied into going Christmas tree shopping right after I posted and now SWMBO says it needs lights the on it so she can hang the doodads and gegaws.... Quality time with the grandlads doncha know. I'll post visuals in a bit....(evil grin)

Steve

Steve,
I am having trouble seeing your pictures. I'm sure the problem lies with my computer, so I will just go out and buy and new one :big: I am anxious to see the C4 since that was on my buy list at one point.

Cheers,
Phil

Hmm, where's the smiley with the rakes and pitchforks....

;D

Hmmmm... just saw on the nightly news that the local authorities had spotted an unruly torch lit mob in this general vicinity. Naaaa..... couldn't be related to this thread.

Ok.... you asked for it, but the first one mentioning the red grease gets it right between the eyes with a frozen halibut. I didn't get long to do any degreasing tonight... but there is one very nice looking Christmas tree in the other room...(grin)

The first glance at the C4 says "mini lathe". Then the second look says "wait a minute... small.... but not mini" By the 3rd look, you've begun to see some nice looking differences. It's 250 pounds of solid bench top iron.

c4-overall.jpg

The headstock is much larger than the C2 and the electronics are quite a bit more complex. All the controls are touch pad and have a nice feel, very much like the X3 mill. It came with a 4 inch 3 jaw chuck which will soon be replaced with a 5 or 6 inch version. 100 rpm is the lowest speed but the 1000 watt motor is up to delivering full torque through out the spectrum, topping out at 2000 rpm (and that's moving my friend). No back gear, but the electronics package compensates to keep low speed torque at constant usable levels.

c4-headstock.jpg

The saddle is MASSIVE for a small mill like this. It has cross feed, normal lead screw feed and a low speed lead screw feed option. one negative.... cross feed is dictated by the direction the Chuck is turning. This will soon be addressed by making the lead screw power feed independent from the spindle drive train. For now, the instant spindle reversing feature will keep me out of trouble.

c4-saddle.jpg

The cross slide and compound both have T slots, so I'm going to have fun finding a whole new bunch of tricks and configurations to use. The compound is mounted with 4 bolts, addressing the well known weak point of the 9x20 lathes. Plenty of oil ports are evident and split nuts on the lead screws make for easy back lash removal. I'll be experimenting to determine just how large of a piece of metal the tools can reach, but it already appears to dwarf the stock C2 in cross slide travel. And yes... it appears that the same extended travel cross slide mod used on many C2 lathes can be adapted to this one as well.

c4-slides.jpg

The tail stock taper comes in MT2 and the unit is stock with a clamping leaver which makes a very positive lock with very little pressure required. It has its own "prism" style bed way. The bed has dual prisms, one for the saddle and one for the tailstock

c4-tailstock.jpg

Overall first impressions.... Sieg took time to think things through pretty well before they went to production with the C4. The actions are silky smooth with no noticeable lash. The mass of the machine gives it a different, more capable feel. I've made only 4 or 5 cuts so far, but the difference in feel of the C2 and C4 is immediately notable. Fit and finish is (so far) comparable to the Sx3 mill I recently purchased. This one once again takes Seig a positive step away from the "kit" machines we all know them so well for.

More to come as I get things sorted out and cleaned up a bit more.

Steve

Steve,

What a nice piece of machinery.
jump.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Steve,
Nice introduction to the machine. Many thanks.
So far as I can tell Travers is the only retailer of the C4. And mighty proud of that fact, so it seems by the price.
Did you look at the C6 at all? Can you say why you picked the C4 over the C6?
Grizzly has the C6 for a bit more than half the price of the C4 and with more accessories.

The advantages I see for the C4:
Smaller footprint
Power cross feed
Variable speed motor
More power
No shipping (in your case)

I'm not trying to push the C6, just curious why you picked the C4.
I'm also quite interested in how this machine works out for you. How the fit and finish is an improvement over the C2. Looks like a very nice machine, much more sturdy than the C2. The general quality seems a bit better, as well. I noticed a threading dial is missing. Does it have one?

Ever curious Kevin

Ksouer
Most of the criteria you noted were factored into my choice. The cross feed was high on the want list, while variable speed, foot print and additional power were the most heavily weighted selling points. I noted the lack of a threading dial, but figured it wouldn't be a big thing to make one to fit it when I begin doing threading. I'm forever modifying my machines to meet various needs, quite often just because I enjoy doing it. I've already begun a mod list, for this one, to make it fit my work style more closely.

I looked at the C6 which was sitting back to back with the display model C4. The lack of variable speed and the larger foot print (the C4 just barely fit where it's now sitting) were deal the killers. I didn't pay the full retail price for the C4 and even managed to get a couple of extras tossed into the deal, like the steady and follow rests. It pays to ask for discounts and goodies, especially in the current economy. They aren't selling lathes and such like they did when times were flush, so even a little bit of negotiation goes a long way. Doing it face to face helps.

The extra accessories, while nice to have, were not that much of a consideration since I've tooled up heavily over the past 3 years. I've got 5 inch chucks and extra centers on hand. I'm needing only a couple of DRO scales to complete things. These things would have been crucial if this were a first lathe buy, but now days they would only add to the general clutter.

As mentioned, the fit and finish is well above and beyond the C2 and the added mass seems to help a lot, from the few cuts Ive had time to make. I've got some "mystery metal" on hand that chatters the C2 badly at any speed. If this one tackles it successfully, I'll become a full convert.

Besides...I've got 90 days to decide if it stays, so I'm not completely locked into it just yet. With Travers being local, I can easily return it if it doesn't perform.

Steve

Does the chuck come with any other coloured greese choice? If there was an orange colour would that bring cod instead? :big:

That C4 is lovely. Well, except for the grease. Green would have been nice to compliment the red paint and bring a festive appearance to the machine. :)

In my opinion, Sieg has been doing a good job of listening to user complaints and fixing problems as they go. Even the lowly C0 (of which one I plan to buy) has had small improvements along the way despite it not really being designed for any sort of precision. From your description the C4 doesn't have to be disassembled, cleaned up and reassembled before it can be operational like so many early machines did/do. That is a major step in the right direction and hopefully it will extend to the entire line.

Please, keep us posted on how it performs.

Best regards,

Kludge

I think that's a beautiful lathe the variable speed alone is worth the price. bigger is not always better I like it I am jealous I want one
now use it well. merry xmas

Latest posts

Back