Rotary Table Advise

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BentRods

Reaction score
Hello,

Looking through other threads some of you remove the chuck from the lathe and mount it on the rotary table for milling. I'm at the very beginning of collecting the necessary items to create a small workshop. The first purchase I made was an old logan 200 lathe and I want to make sure I get a rotary table that will suit. I think I may need to get an adapter to mount the rotary table chuck on the lathe?

I'm hoping that the more experienced members can chime in for recommended rotary tables/ suppliers. What I think I'm looking for is a 6" horizontal/vertical table with dividing plates and tailstock. Suggestions?

Erik

I have a 6" table and I bought a cheap import 4-jaw, flat-back lathe chuck that had an OD slightly larger than the tables OD. I bored a recess in the back of the chuck about .180" deep that was a snug slip fit on the OD of the rotary table. I drilled the chuck body for a couple of 1/4" SHCS that engage t-nuts in the table's t-slots. This set-up give max. flexibility in holding any shape work piece and is easy to mount and dismount the chuck from the table.

RWO

Hi,
I'm not in the same boat as you but I used a mandrel to turn a mounting fixture to mount a spare 3 jaw to my rotary table. Then I drilled and countersunk holes to match the T-slots in the table and drilled and tapped holes to match the 3 jaw chuck. It lined up within .0005". I don't have the ability to remove the chuck and place it on the rotary table but I know that my chuck is only a few tenths out of round, which is close enough for anything I do. I got a good deal on some stock when I bought my lathe and had some spare aluminum plate laying around, took some effort to make a 6" square round but it works well and makes it easy to mount the 3 jaw. If you can do something similar it may simplify things.
Art

Last edited:
Vertex(Taiwan) makes rotary tables with dividing plates and tailstock.

RWO

Hello,

The first purchase I made was an old logan 200 lathe and I want to make sure I get a rotary table that will suit. I think I may need to get an adapter to mount the rotary table chuck on the lathe?

I'm hoping that the more experienced members can chime in for recommended rotary tables/ suppliers. What I think I'm looking for is a 6" horizontal/vertical table with dividing plates and tailstock. Suggestions?

Erik

I am not familiar with your lathe but typically you will need to make an adapter that mounts up where your chuck does. On the business side, you will need to machine it so it fits your RT chuck. Typically this side will have a boss that fits to a recess in the back of the new chuck. I have the Vertex 6" table and yes it has a dividing plate set, tailstock and a chuck. The chuck bolts from the front to the backing plate (using T nuts to mount it to the Rotary Table). I would try and get a 25mm or so slice of cast iron for the backing plate.

There are plenty of articles about how to mount a chuck to a lathe. doubleboost on madmodder.net has a good series of videos on how he mounted an ER32 chuck to a threaded spindle lathe which would be worth watching.

It is very inconvenient to remove chuck from lathe and mount on RT. Chuck must be aligned with RT table .I learned a bitter lesson when I aligned by eyeball and Con-rod big end profile was nearly ruined.See fotos of my DIY RT and con-rod big end.Chuck must run true on RT to
+&- 5 thou max.Chuck is secured to RT with tee nuts and tee slots.

IMG_0476.jpg

IMG_1866.jpg

IMG_1870.jpg

Last edited:
Grizzly has a small (4" IIRC) chuck specifically for rotabs. Not expensive. I got one a year ago and use it frequently. Comes with inside and outside jaws.

I appreciate the responses. I was under the impression that you guys were removing the chuck from the lathe and mounting it on the rotary table. Thanks
Erik

I appreciate the responses. I was under the impression that you guys were removing the chuck from the lathe and mounting it on the rotary table. Thanks
Erik

A couple of years back I bought a D1-3 spindle nose from a lathe that was being parted out, and mounted it in a ground steel plate that could be clamped to my mill table (not the rotab). That allows me to move a lathe chuck to the mill, but it's not that convenient and rarely used, mainly to hold round work that's too large for the vise and too large for the chuck on the rotab.

In retrospect, not really worth the cost and effort.

I made a copy of the spindle nose on my MicroMark 7x14 and mounted it to a MT2 taper. The taper fits my Vertex 4" Rotary Table. This allows moving any of my chucks from the lathe to the RT on the mill as well as the faceplate or any other lathe tool such as a collet chuck if I had one.
Some operations are just easier on the mill than on the lathe.

Chuck

When you drill thru the chuck how do you then tighten the jaws?

I made a copy of the spindle nose on my MicroMark 7x14 and mounted it to a MT2 taper. The taper fits my Vertex 4" Rotary Table. This allows moving any of my chucks from the lathe to the RT on the mill as well as the faceplate or any other lathe tool such as a collet chuck if I had one.
Some operations are just easier on the mill than on the lathe.

Chuck

Hi Chuck ,

You are correct. To cut a segment hole on a four jaw would take too much time centering with a 4 jaw chuck A second piece may not aligned.
Tried using a DIY Boring Head to bore 3/4 segmented hole turned out easier though feed rate and cutting speed compromised. B.H. came out of retirement for this job.Was quite happy with final outcome.

IMG_2109.jpg

IMG_2111.jpg

When you drill thru the chuck how do you then tighten the jaws?

All my chucks use a back plate with studs that go through the spindle flange and are held on with nuts. The copy of the spindle nose mounts them the same. I can post pictures if needed.

Chuck

Good to see the boring head being used Gus, looks like its making a good job. Still, back to rotary tables.

Those reading this thread that are new to rotary tables may find my pages on their use helpful see here http://www.homews.co.uk/page70.html

The device for centralising parts onto the rotary table may also be useful. Especially good for locating centrally very small parts, see photo 2. Click on this for a better view of the part being machined.
http://www.homews.co.uk/page187.html

Harold Hall

Gus, I have had another look at your picture of the boring head being used and your comments. If I were carrying out the task on a rotary table I would centralise the rotary table below the machine spindle with a centre drilled plug in the center of the rotary table and a centre in the machines spindle and lock the table in both the X and Y axis.

I would then mark out the centre of the partial hole on the workpiece and lighly centre drill this. Then, place it on the rotary table and bring the centre down into the centre drilled impression then clamping the workpiece onto the table.

Fit a smallish milling cutter and move the table in the X axis by the radius of the hole minus half the cutter diamer, lock the table again and machine the hole required.

Just a thought

Harold

IF you can find one, EMCO made a D1-4 chuck adapter for their 6" rotary table. This is a nice mounting scheme since you can quickly change between any device with a D1-4 mount. I personally have a 3-Jaw Chuck, 4-Jaw Independent Chuck, 5c Collet Chuck and a 10" face plate. Makes for nice alternatives without unbolting and aligning.

If you can't find the EMCO, would be a good project.

Steve J.
Portland, OR

IMG_1784.jpg

IMG_1794.jpg

IMG_1789.jpg

Latest posts

Back