Quantcast

retiring to machinist

Help Support HMEM:

mrbugbums

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
thats a really good point.... I keep worrying about the difficulty moving the machine later....when there is a real possibility that it might be easy to sell anything and not have to move it....

goldstar31

Reaction score
The question is whether our newcomer Can or cannot evaluate whether machine tools are good quality and need a coat coat of paint and a POS but with a glossy coat of paint.
The safest answer is to recommend new stuff which make not be marvellous but has a warranty and is UNWORN.
I think that I have a point

Norman

mrbugbums

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
Correct Norman. I couldn’t be bothered unless I brought a friend to evaluate a used. So too much trouble. I don’t mind buying new and possibly selling it or passing it down to my son or keeping it if still useful. My wife and I are together going through each of blondiehacks videos. Gwen is her name and she recommends starting on a lathe then the mill

goldstar31

Reaction score
It would seem that the Question is now going from one post to another. It would seem that thoughts are now towards the 7 x14 and I would suggest heading do a Sieg C4 which is small but far better made.
Is it as good as my Myford? No but it is better than a lot of worn out Myfords.
I bought my Sieg secondhand but in view of my comments, I would( and did) but a 4 jaw independent chuck, a steady and a faceplate. The rest of the workshop os not being discussed.
At the end of the day, a purchaser will appreciate the fine distinction of not knowing whether the 7 x14 is OK or something that did buy a reliable machine- and can see what has been made.
By. then, I expect that like most modellers, there will be quite a few homemade extras.

Best wishes

Norman

For interest- have a look at John Morans site -- GadgetBuilder.com

Enjoy

Norman

Last edited:

Latest posts