retiring to machinist

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thats a really good point.... I keep worrying about the difficulty moving the machine later....when there is a real possibility that it might be easy to sell anything and not have to move it....

The question is whether our newcomer Can or cannot evaluate whether machine tools are good quality and need a coat coat of paint and a POS but with a glossy coat of paint.
The safest answer is to recommend new stuff which make not be marvellous but has a warranty and is UNWORN.
I think that I have a point

Norman

Correct Norman. I couldn’t be bothered unless I brought a friend to evaluate a used. So too much trouble. I don’t mind buying new and possibly selling it or passing it down to my son or keeping it if still useful. My wife and I are together going through each of blondiehacks videos. Gwen is her name and she recommends starting on a lathe then the mill

It would seem that the Question is now going from one post to another. It would seem that thoughts are now towards the 7 x14 and I would suggest heading do a Sieg C4 which is small but far better made.
Is it as good as my Myford? No but it is better than a lot of worn out Myfords.
I bought my Sieg secondhand but in view of my comments, I would( and did) but a 4 jaw independent chuck, a steady and a faceplate. The rest of the workshop os not being discussed.
At the end of the day, a purchaser will appreciate the fine distinction of not knowing whether the 7 x14 is OK or something that did buy a reliable machine- and can see what has been made.
By. then, I expect that like most modellers, there will be quite a few homemade extras.

Best wishes

Norman

For interest- have a look at John Morans site -- GadgetBuilder.com

Enjoy

Norman

Last edited:
Greetings, I'd love any opinions from the group about this possibility: building a house to suit:
new development; finally met with my long time bff who is a carpenter contractor and went over in detail the real possibility to build our home instead of buying a home at the same price. I'm researching that possibility with a fine tooth comb.
previously I've been only thinking of building a workshop, and now we are considering building our house also instead of buying. Can you think of any particular specifications for the house part or maybe even considering the workshop as part of the house? that might save money. if we go this route I already have an architect: what details would you give him? 1. write out dream sketch. 2. give it to architect. 3. find a 1+acre plot. 4. architect checks with that township/municipality to see if its feasible to build on that plot

Stephan,

Take a bit of time for you and your wife to take some virtual shop tours. There are those on this forum and other forums. Look at the Youtube based shop tours as well. You will start to get an idea of what you like and don't like and also get to see other peoples machinery, its size, and the way they lay it out. There is always something to learn. Something that has always dogged me with my workshops in the past is lack of storage. In my current shop I have carved out storage areas and am trying to create yet more at the moment. Factor in storage.

Some people do have their workshops in the house, in fact someone I knew put a modern extension on a many centuries old thatched cottage. His wife got the new kitchen she always wanted, he got a new machine shop to reunite all his machines in. The workshop had a glassed door directly connecting it to the kitchen. The result worked well for both of them and was more convivial.

Paul

mrbugbums
If you are considering building New, ensure Bell provide Fibre to your location, you will never regret having a fibre connection.
Ensure every room has at lease one Ethernet connection preferably 2 on opposite sides of the room
Ensure the Work Shop has at leas one 220 outlet and several 20 amp split recepticals, similar to the method Ontario Hydro specifies the Kitchen. Every wall in the shop should have at least Qty 2 Split rectitical 20 Amp 110 Volt. you can neve go wrong with more outlets each supplied with their own breaker/fuse
If you are considering CNC down the road ensure Ethernet is on every wall of the shop.
As the new LED lights are so efficient there is ZERO need for Flourecent lighting.
Have as many lights as your budget allows and have them all on separate switches per machine location.
Lighting can be turned off but it cannot be turned on of not provided.
Just a few thoughts on your proposed build
DaveC

wow Dave. talk about amazing advice input. I'm putting together a Google document. that has every single detail, person, outline, headings, ideas, dreams. every single aspect of entire project. organized into one document that is easy to read, scroll, click on links, photos, headings etc. everyone anyone involved in the project. I'll start drawing on solidworks to give to the architect for when he creates us a blueprint to follow according to the township and inspectors.
I'd love to see ideas of what Paul was alluding to..... a workshop attached to the house and possible ideas.

Well also living in Canada, I am a fan of the Basement Workshop. A we'll thought out entrance for easy machine access using lift devices, is possible.
Having a folding Machine Hoist, Hydraulic lift Dolly, Simple Block and Tackle and roof/ceiling mount lifting points
Keeping a Garage or outside workshop heated, having a separate entrance, going out side for any reason during the winter is just not in my retired vocabulary, sorry.
Also consider insulating the ceiling and all walls of the workshop especially if in the basement.
I know if I was starting over I would also use geothermal heating and cooling and solar panels rated at at least double the required maximum load for the worse day of the year.
If you do opt for a basement Workshop, plan the method of access for the machinery, This access can be planned into an entrance, which can be unnoticed when covered, for instance a Ceiling Mounted lifting channel capable of 2 tons should be more than adequate for most home based shops.
I have a side entrance which goes directly down to the basement.
Had I built the house new I would have mounted an overhead Lift channel into the ceiling from the side door and down the stairs, as a trolley is used in these lifting channels it can be removed in in the basement when not required and the channel can be covered by any means you choose. It is extremely handy as one changes their mind on appliances , machines etc.
Taking even a washing machine down stairs can be a hassle but with a Ceiling mounted lift channel and a trolley which can even be motorized by a winch to take things out of or into the basement.
Something to consider.
Also if you do opt for an outside WorkShop the Ceiling mounted lifting channel still applies as it can be used if designed from the outset to lift off a truck and directly into the shop. negating the requirement for ramps and muscle men to move any item.
The Lifting channel can also be used if designed properly to move item around in the shop.
While it is nice if it is continuous, but lowering a heavy item to the floor repositioning the movable trolley from one lift channel to another lifting channel is not a game changer if all the potential moves are well planned for.
it is not always possible to effectively bend a lifting channel.
Lifting channels work like a gantry crane and can be built using either I-Beam or Hollow Channel depending on the load requirements. Spend time considering how, and why you may want this option from the start and you may find you can eliminate the need for other lifting methods for the shop and Home access for any heavy object.
Also if you are planning a new home it is easier to design from day one how to bring into the home, things like the Refrigerator, Freezer, Stove, Washing Machine, Dryer, or the Grand piano your wife forgot to mention, The struggles people go through, when access was not part of the basic design, can have a determine factor on the choices of what can and cannot be brought into the house or Garage or Workshop
Another for instance all new cargo van will not fit a standard 7 foot garage door they all now require an eight foot door. BTW Separate Garage Doors instead of a large two car garage door is easier to repair as well and the door openers are not as badly stressed either.
Things to consider when building new.

that gives me an idea.... i had not thought of... i actually had not considered building the workshop as part of the basement. what i wrote an hour ago in my new document was brainstorming ideas to discuss with architect was a sloping driveway to the middle of the basement to allow for an exit, extra large window for light and moving heavy items in and out easily. this place we rent has garage beside basement but the man door is just that. i would design a double wide man door. but your idea of overhead lift channel...why didn't i think of that? at work at the hospital we had ceiling lifts. i already am making plans to make an engine hoist, but i love the ceiling lift track idea. i could build one right over the lathe and mill.
I have often thought why don't people build basements 3 times the size of the main floor house... cheaper is basement so make it bigger. maybe put garage above extended basement or a sunroom or a greenhouse....
maybe we could build a house and the basement triple the size of upstairs and half of it workshop with drive down entrance sloped to one wall and 10 foot ceiling....brainstorming..

Now you have engiaguaged the male side of the brain. I think you had better speak with" she who must be obeyed" first before you insure injury. just teasing.
There are just so many thing are possible at the design phase of a new home that far to many people dismiss or never consider and then wonder why nothing works in their new home once it is built using the plans as described to another person and not verified by a virtual walk through. Today we have the ability to design in 3D and actually walk through the design in a virtual sense. with our length of lock down because of COVID-19 we should all be much better at virtual visiting so it only follows that any proposed build should be virtually walked through.
have fun and Stay Safe I have to go and get my first Vaccine shot.

no doubt swmbo she...obeyed is 100% on the team. we are insanely tight and could give marital lessons on communication, respect cooperation. We will both come to an agreement and compromise. its insane how much is involved with buying a plot, drafting blueprints, fixed by architect, checked with township, permit to build, each stage inspected before and after, and most importantly have the entire dream and plan known before anything happens. can't buy a plot until you know the township will allow it to be zoned for a residential building, greenhouse, workshop, an acre to farm, possible commercial kitchen and to what extent a home business is allowed. building gives us more flexibility and time and no inherited problems. we make our own. I still like the idea of buying two 40 foot shipping containers and putting a roof over the large area between the two which is a poured slab concrete with plumbing and then I weld, spray foam, protect and perfect the containers. that can be all done for 50k and an insanely large workshop with 40x8x8 times 2 storage units behind each of the side walls in the shop. whereas a basement workshop build I think would be much much more expensive. perhaps just make a smaller workshop for Heather in the basement. so many options. Thursday I'm ordering the Lightning 275 MTS multiprocess welder MIG TIG Stick 275 amps and accessories for $4300. I wonder to what extend people improve their machines stability, weight ,rigidity solidness through home modifications. first project is probably building an engine hoist for probably $200 in parts. just some castor wheels, 2 tonne jack and some 250 hot rolled steel.

... and no inherited problems. we make our own ...

The first time my wife saw me heading down to the basement with tools to work on the oil furnace she freaked out 'cuz her dad never worked on oil furnaces.

"Shouldn't we get a professional to do that?"

"Why should I pay a professional to screw it up when I can screw it up quite thoroughly myself, for free?"

It was a good thing the basement had a door...

First you hire the professional . The he say you new one for only $10,000.00.
After wife see the QUOTE you fix the furnace with some sandpaper in 5 minutes.
I had hire a plumber as I was not up to digging (recovering from chemo) the pipe up 2 plumbers and $600.00 later I am in front yard fixing there mistakes. At least the ground was softer.

I have used sandpaper to fix a furnaces on the thermal couple.
I have had my mother-in-law plumbing on Chemotherapy as the QUOTE was out of world and she could pay the price.

Professional fixer are fixing you back pocket.

Dave

The first time my wife saw me heading down to the basement with tools to work on the oil furnace she freaked out 'cuz her dad never worked on oil furnaces.

"Shouldn't we get a professional to do that?"

"Why should I pay a professional to screw it up when I can screw it up quite thoroughly myself, for free?"

It was a good thing the basement had a door...

That is Rich! The caution is there are people in this world who should never be permitted to touch a screw driver, I can name a few people in my past. There those who are a total menace with a wrench in their hand.
In my heart I can agree with what you say and have had to fix the work of the "Professional" because the law said it must be done by a licensed ********** OK he fixed it and his name is not the form. can I now under the cover of anonymity fix the fix, P-L-E-A-S-E-?

They are License plumer in the state of California. Both with great reviews.
At one time I was License in steel construction and still have past clients want me to fix others work. FYI NO I am retired and my wife said no.

Dave

PS: If you look at my Aviator you see doors I manufacturer on the building

That is Rich! The caution is there are people in this world who should never be permitted to touch a screw driver, I can name a few people in my past. There those who are a total menace with a wrench in their hand.
In my heart I can agree with what you say and have had to fix the work of the "Professional" because the law said it must be done by a licensed ********** OK he fixed it and his name is not the form. can I now under the cover of anonymity fix the fix, P-L-E-A-S-E-?

Last edited:
Greetings, I'd love any opinions from the group about this possibility: building a house to suit:
new development; finally met with my long time bff who is a carpenter contractor and went over in detail the real possibility to build our home instead of buying a home at the same price. I'm researching that possibility with a fine tooth comb.
previously I've been only thinking of building a workshop, and now we are considering building our house also instead of buying. Can you think of any particular specifications for the house part or maybe even considering the workshop as part of the house? that might save money. if we go this route I already have an architect: what details would you give him? 1. write out dream sketch. 2. give it to architect. 3. find a 1+acre plot. 4. architect checks with that township/municipality to see if its feasible to build on that plot
Be sure to look into rocket-mass stoves for heating and cooking. It is best to plan this before you build.

Congratulations with the happy thought of building! I myself upon retirement put a nice workshop in the back of the shed of my former farmhouse. Three points that may be helpful: 1) Get floorheating. Your machines represent quite some thermal capacity and you want to them keep constant warm and happy. If the temperature goes up and down too much the machines will at times be colder than their environment and attract condensation and rust. 2) You have never enough storage, and professional shopcabinets are expensive. I have installed at a reasonable cost a lot of standard kitchen-cabinets, because I find not that much difference in storage requirements for kitchen utensils and workshop tools. And it gives a lot of working space on top. 3) Arrange for different areas from clean to dirty like assembly (clean), machining (controllable swarf), grinding (machine-killer swarf) and chemical/heat treatment (bad for health). The heat treatment stuff I put on a trolley to easily move it outside when in use.

no doubt swmbo she...obeyed is 100% on the team. we are insanely tight and could give marital lessons on communication, respect cooperation. We will both come to an agreement and compromise. its insane how much is involved with buying a plot, drafting blueprints, fixed by architect, checked with township, permit to build, each stage inspected before and after, and most importantly have the entire dream and plan known before anything happens. can't buy a plot until you know the township will allow it to be zoned for a residential building, greenhouse, workshop, an acre to farm, possible commercial kitchen and to what extent a home business is allowed. building gives us more flexibility and time and no inherited problems. we make our own. I still like the idea of buying two 40 foot shipping containers and putting a roof over the large area between the two which is a poured slab concrete with plumbing and then I weld, spray foam, protect and perfect the containers. that can be all done for 50k and an insanely large workshop with 40x8x8 times 2 storage units behind each of the side walls in the shop. whereas a basement workshop build I think would be much much more expensive. perhaps just make a smaller workshop for Heather in the basement. so many options. Thursday I'm ordering the Lightning 275 MTS multiprocess welder MIG TIG Stick 275 amps and accessories for $4300. I wonder to what extend people improve their machines stability, weight ,rigidity solidness through home modifications. first project is probably building an engine hoist for probably $200 in parts. just some castor wheels, 2 tonne jack and some 250 hot rolled steel.
Wish you had intimated that you were looking for a welder.
For $4300 CAN you could likely have a lot more than you're getting and it all be name brands.
Industry is very slow right now in at least western Canada so there are some not bad deals available on decent used stuff.

I have just spoken to a friend who has reached the rupe young age of 80-- I'm 10years older than that:)

He has had his Myford ML7 from new when he stated working life. at 16 and went on as a hobby lathe until he lost his job at 55 and it became his only source of income from there until retirement.
He is still usung it to make parts for classic car gear boxes and jobs for friends too.
Now my friend was not a machinist but a precision instrument tool maker.
As the new Myford firm are predicting restoring machines and giving a life expectancy of 35 years and more======= ca your present purchases compete with such proven quality?

Regards

Norman

Latest posts

Back