Lathes

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My experience with Precision Matthews was not favorable. ... After further argument, this one also returned and on the third try we got a unit that worked. By now, between the closeout price and the two returns I could have purchased one of the much better Taiwan made drives. After trying to decipher the Chinglish instructions for bevel gear backlash adjustment I ended up buying a USA Servo built unit. Pretty much not trusting any China made machines these days; tooling will be looked at with suspicion until finish/runout/etc has been evaluated.

Depending upon how painful the "argument" was, I am actually reasonably impressed that they replaced it twice. Many places would not have. Especially for something sold in that manner. I personally have no experience with the company but everyone I know who has bought from them has been happy. One friend's chuck did not meet spec but he still felt that he got such a good deal that he was happy.

I do agree less likely to have problems with a Servo unit. But they cost considerably more. One can buy rebuilt ones that come with a warranty but they usually are meant as replacements and normally do not have all of the parts necessary for a new install. After you buy the necessary installation kit, the "savings" might not be worth it. My mill had a very old version of a drive that had a non-standard setup so I had to bite the bullet and buy a new servo with the appropriate kit. Import plus stand alone kit was only about $150 cheaper.

Ken

Latest posts

Back