Redwing #1009

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That completed all machining of the casing in this position. The next job was to flip it around on the angle plate and do the fuel line outlet.

Then I did some more cleaning up on the main casting and mounted everything into position just for the fun. LOL I always do that;);)

IMG_3675.jpg

IMG_3676.jpg

IMG_3677.jpg

IMG_3678.jpg

The next step is to make a mandrill to 2.5 and honing the cylinder to fit. Then it would complete the main casting. I suppose its then on to that crank:cool:

Very nice Albert - you are making good progress and a great job of it!
Charlie

Hi All

I have not done much since the last post due to other commitments but I finished the honing on the sleeve to 2.5 and when I inserted the ring, the ring gap is exactly .004 as required by the plans.

As I said before my next step would have been to make the crank, on Friday I realized I am unable to source the alumina piece to make the crank turning jig and I am awaiting delivery, so my attention has shifted to another part which is the head. I shall post as I go along. Its not an easy part at all.

IMG_3684.jpg

Well Guys

I have decided that I need more accuracy by upgrading my lathe and milling machine with DRO's to be even more accurate, so I will be shopping around for the items tomorrow, hope it goes well. I also need a DRO on my Rotary Table, but that seems to be hard to find. Its a Vertex. Any ideas?

I've been following along Albert. Just haven't said much. Great work you're doing on the engine. I like you assemble all the parts periodically just to see what it looks like.
gbritnell

AlbertdeWitte,

Rather than a readout, consider an electronic (CNC) controlled stepper drive for your rotary table. See this thread on this forum:

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/showthread.php?t=17896

Or, Sherline sells a package (PN 8700) with a rotary table with stepper and controller:

http://www.sherline.com/rotary.htm

Or, you should be able to get the level of precision you need with the traditional method of using indexing plates.

--ShopShoe

Thanks very much for the info

I've been following along Albert. Just haven't said much. Great work you're doing on the engine. I like you assemble all the parts periodically just to see what it looks like.
gbritnell

Thanks you very much gbritnell

Hi Guys

I got my DRO's and scales on Thursday and I realized fitting them is not just a walk in the park. Its a major exercise. I started Saturday and will only finish the Y axis on the Mill tonight, then the X and then on to the lathe. I need to make a lot of brackets to mount the scales. So my work came a bit to a stand still.

So no progress to report for now.

Hi Guys

I managed to complete fitting the scales on all machines, it was difficult to make brackets/parts on the same machines you have to work on at the same time. I thought I'd leave the easiest one for last which is the cross slide on the lathe, but I painted myself into a corner trying to fit the brackets. I made a special too to reach in there, at the same time not covering up oilers or the lock for the carriage. Upon completion I realized that the handle of the tool slide bumps onto the scale, so I will have to make a new handle. However I can now start to work and deal with that on another day. I will post some pictures later. While I am struggling with this project at the same time I hardly have no internet at home. Till next time

Albert

Hi Guys

This is what my setup looks like now and machining should now be much easier.

IMG_3916.jpg

IMG_3917.jpg

I heave started on the head last night and first it was cleanup and centered on the bosses. I've set the cutter on the mark, zeroed the DRO and moved it outwards to .515 as per plan calculations and started cutting. I found it very exiting and much easier.

IMG_3921.jpg

IMG_3922.jpg

Hi Guys

Last night I completed machining the head to measurements in the lathe. I must say those DRO's really makes a difference and I got it on the button according to plan. Though the plan calls the inside head dia at 1.248 I machined it to 1.249 to fit the sleeve at 1.250.

IMG_3925.jpg

IMG_3927.jpg

IMG_3928.jpg

IMG_3929.jpg

Then I have setup the rotary table to drill those of center holes to fit the head onto the casing. After finding all the centers I was good to start the drilling, I normally double check my calculations and then I saw a huge mistake. I misread the plan completely. The offset angle 18.73 is shown on the inside of the head and I had it the opposite way. This led to a complete new set of calculations eg -18.43'48' plus 90deg increments from there. It got late so I will continue with it tonight

IMG_3930.jpg

IMG_3931.jpg

I'm glad you are enjoying the DROs. I think they are one of those thing we can live without ... until we have them. Then they become essential.
Good work on the parts - happy your "second thoughts" saved a disappointment. Every once in a while we need a reminder of the value of double-checking; mine usually come with the added "advantage" of being more efficient with the second part.

I'm glad you are enjoying the DROs. I think they are one of those thing we can live without ... until we have them. Then they become essential.
Good work on the parts - happy your "second thoughts" saved a disappointment. Every once in a while we need a reminder of the value of double-checking; mine usually come with the added "advantage" of being more efficient with the second part.

Cwelkie
Thanks for the reply.

Indeed I never knew what I missed, no more conversions from metric to inches. Its a walk in the park moving the bed of the milling machine to the exact spot.

Luckily I saw the mistake just in time. I already marked it out on the head with a center.

Latest posts

Back