Redwing #1009

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now the momentum is building!
Nice parts Albert - it's all so satisfying when our hopes and reality match up.
Charlie

It's exciting when you can put the bits together and see what it's going to look like. Excellent work on the engine.
gbritnell

Guys, wel well well, I finished the valves today including the washers, realising the insinde oulet of the valve stems catches the springs here and there, I made 2 extra washers, they are small indeed and to make 4 of them excatly the same was not possible without those dro's!! Came out great!! I will post photos tomorrow, cant get it right from my iPhone where I am at the moment...

Here are some photos

IMG_4281.jpg

IMG_4282.jpg

IMG_4283.jpg

IMG_4284.jpg

IMG_4290.jpg

IMG_4292.jpg

IMG_4295.jpg

Hi All

Last night I made the Rocker Arm and check for fit. Another part bites the dust. Its coming on nicely, I still have about 30 more parts to make and they are mostly very small.

IMG_4297.jpg

IMG_4298.jpg

IMG_4299.jpg

IMG_4301.jpg

IMG_4302.jpg

Hi Guys

I finished the rocker arm and I am now busy with the gear pin. It is now getting cold so long hours in the workshop will not be possible.

IMG_4303.jpg

IMG_4304.jpg

IMG_4307.jpg

IMG_4308.jpg

Not to through your excellent build thread of track but I am curious what is considered cold in Rustenburg, South Africa?

Not to through your excellent build thread of track but I am curious what is considered cold in Rustenburg, South Africa?

Well I am sure it is not as cold as where you are from. We have 0 -13c (32 - 55f) at its worst here, but my work place has a bit of a draft and with the cold south easter blowing through it, it not nice to work there. I am considering heating it though. Thanks for the compliment!!;)

Wow - I hear South Africa and I think safari with elephants and lions not freezing temperatures. Learn something new every day.

Albert, I came to your project late, but have read every entry with utmost interest! That is some fantastic work on a really difficult engine!!!

I can't wait to see the next installment, and of course, the finished product in its first run.

Thanks for the inspiring build!

John W
Camp Verde, Arizona USA

Albert, I came to your project late, but have read every entry with utmost interest! That is some fantastic work on a really difficult engine!!!

I can't wait to see the next installment, and of course, the finished product in its first run.

Thanks for the inspiring build!

John W
Camp Verde, Arizona USA

Hi there John!!

Thank you so much for the compliment, not just a compliment but what I consider a very inspiring commend.

I am currently working on the gear pin and realized I dont have the 5/16 x 24tpi die nut. On inquiry I could have one supplied at around 50usd and had to wait a week for it. I then decided to cut the thread with the lathe. Then I had another disappointment. The gear setup on the lathe requires a 70 teeth gear and that specific one is not amongst the set of gear. I have ordered that also which will take 2 weeks to arrive. In my anxiety to move forward with the part I came across a set of dies and taps on eBay for 40usd which will also arrive in about 2 weeks. This means I am going to put this part aside to complete later. What is really difficult for me is to build engines in imperial as where South Africa is Metric. One can just not find the right tools here. Eg reaming with a 5/16 reamer is required a lot on this engine where I have to use a boring bar all the time to reach the correct hole size.

I started lest night on the bush for the gear on the same gear pin and did the boring bar thing again as per above. As I was about to polish the bush and part it our electricity went off again.

I will post few photos later.

Thanks again!

Hi All

Yesterday I made the gear, nylon isolator, bushings and ignition stud which all had to be precise for press fitting. I had to machine a lot of material off the gear and it took a couple of hours to complete considering the the material hardness.

That means another 5 parts off the list.;)

IMG_4312.jpg

IMG_4314.jpg

IMG_4317.jpg

IMG_4316.jpg

IMG_4318.jpg

IMG_4320.jpg

IMG_4322.jpg

IMG_4323.jpg

IMG_4324.jpg

IMG_4326.jpg

Hi Guys

I mad good progress since the last post.

It was great fun making the timing lever and I had to improvise several ideas clamping this small part down for correct machining in both the lathe and the mill.

IMG_4347.jpg

IMG_4348.jpg

IMG_4350.jpg

IMG_4351.jpg

IMG_4407.jpg

IMG_4414.jpg

Making the contact stud with nylon bushing. When I looked in the box the small nuts 5-40 were not there. I had to make them.

IMG_4328.jpg

IMG_4329.jpg

IMG_4331.jpg

IMG_4336.jpg

IMG_4340.jpg

IMG_4416.jpg

The next part on the list was to start with the cam and I realized I am going to need many hours for that. I decided to make the fuel pipe and cap quickly before it was bed time..

IMG_4419.jpg

IMG_4420.jpg

IMG_4422.jpg

So here are some of the steps making the cam. The steel that came along could provide enough material to make 3 of them. I suppose because it is a very difficult part they thought of providing enough for a few attempts.

I first cut it to size and drilled through a big enough hole to accommodate the boring bar to the same outside diameter as the bush on the gear. I got a perfect slip fit and clamping down was dead center.

I then had to make a special arbor to clamp down the part in the rotary table. I used the same arbor to align the rotary table to the center of the mill.

I had to do a lot of calculations deducting the size of the end mill I was using to the exact outside measurements as per plan. Thanks again to the DRO it was possible. This part took the best part of 7 hours to make and I got it right the first time!!

IMG_4426.jpg

IMG_4427.jpg

IMG_4430.jpg

IMG_4425.jpg

IMG_4432.jpg

IMG_4435.jpg

IMG_4436.jpg

IMG_4437.jpg

IMG_4439.jpg

IMG_4446.jpg

Some terrific looking bits and pieces there Albert!
Coming along nicely ...
Charlie

Back