Redwing #1009

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last night was so exiting to drill, mill and countersink the valves seats in the head. A week ago I made a dummy valve just to fit on the head to check the fit. It came out great!!

IMG_3932.jpg

IMG_3935.jpg

IMG_3937.jpg

IMG_3941.jpg

IMG_3942.jpg

IMG_3943.jpg

IMG_3944.jpg

IMG_3945.jpg

Your shop floor must be far cleaner than mine - I can't get within 20 feet of my machines with bare feet without embedding a couple of pounds of chips in them.

Your shop floor must be far cleaner than mine - I can't get within 20 feet of my machines with bare feet without embedding a couple of pounds of chips in them.

LOL yes I work bare feet in the summer. Workshop is an old little kitchen and I have to keep it clean sweeping a lot.

Last night I finished the head having tilted the rotary table, done the facing, drilling and 1/8 NPT tapping which give me a headache sometimes, but it came out just fine. Again I fitted some of the fittings to see what it looks like.;);)

IMG_4022.jpg

IMG_4023.jpg

IMG_4024.jpg

IMG_4025.jpg

The next was to line up the head on the casing and to mark it, mount it back on the angle plate, drill and tap. It took time because I had to use my collets instead of my favorite key less chuck. My Z axis space on the mill is fairly limited, but it came out great. Now I will be onto the crank which has its own challenges.

IMG_4027.jpg

IMG_4028.jpg

IMG_4031.jpg

IMG_4030.jpg

IMG_4036.jpg

Hi All

I have been a bit absent due to no internet. I made the crank as suggested by the manual by making use of the turning jig. All went well up till I had the jig set to cut the journal with my carbide parting blade. It was squeaking like nobodies business and the came loose from the chuck, luckily I had only a few scratches. Then I've re clamped it and realigned for s second attempt. I then decided to make another cutting tool out of HSS with a carbide tip which is more solid. This worked and then I did the keyways. So yes, after some hard work the crank is done.

IMG_4049.jpg

IMG_4050.jpg

IMG_4091.jpg

Hi All

I notice that I have already more that 5,500 visits to this thread which is appreciated, however I do not see much responses, who else is building this engine? Share your experiences with me please.

Having completed the crank I moved on to the flywheels and whilst I had everything setup I bored them all including the pulley and gears. I have mad the axle with keyway and the next step would be making keyways to the gear and wheels and the final turning thereof. Again I had to quickly put it together to see what it looks like;);)

IMG_4193.jpg

IMG_4196.jpg

IMG_4204.jpg

IMG_4203.jpg

IMG_4205.jpg

Albert, I suspect that a lot of the viewers are like me, just watching and enjoying
the build but not commenting. Which doesn't help you now does it?? The work
you're doing is great and the pics are excellent. I especially like it when you
put the bits together 'just to see what it looks like'. I've always liked the Redwing
and never tire of seeing them. I'd love to build one someday.

Pete

Albert, I suspect that a lot of the viewers are like me, just watching and enjoying
the build but not commenting. Which doesn't help you now does it?? The work
you're doing is great and the pics are excellent. I especially like it when you
put the bits together 'just to see what it looks like'. I've always liked the Redwing
and never tire of seeing them. I'd love to build one someday.

Pete

Thank you very much Pete!!

Hi Guys

I have completed one of the flywheels which took many hours. It came out great. Now on to the next one and then the pulley. Cant wait to start with the con rod and piston. While machining parts with the autofeed on I spend a lot of time on the plans already preparing myself for the next parts. I always ask myself the question if this engine will eventually run. I know of a good couple of people that could not get it right, we will see. Still a long long way from there.

IMG_4215.jpg

IMG_4216.jpg

IMG_4217.jpg

IMG_4219.jpg

Very nice flywheel Albert - looking forward to the next one.
... it'll start; no worries!
Charlie

Very nice flywheel Albert - looking forward to the next one.
... it'll start; no worries!
Charlie

Thanks Charlie

I will hopefully finish the other one today, Done all the cutting, left with polishin it a bit. I experienced a bit of a problem on the second one with deep pitholes on the edges where I had to cut a bigger chamfer on the edges. This mean I have to do the same to the first one.

Hi All I have completed the flywheels and pulley and another brief "what it looks like"

I am now on to the connecting rod and pin.

IMG_4226.jpg

IMG_4229.jpg

IMG_4233.jpg

... and then there were two.
Very nice Albert - so nice that I know I'd be tempted to cover those beautiful shiny bits with tape to protect them from (inevitable) "shop rash".
Charlie

... and then there were two.
Very nice Albert - so nice that I know I'd be tempted to cover those beautiful shiny bits with tape to protect them from (inevitable) "shop rash".
Charlie

Thanks Charlie, I will certainly do that!!;)

Hi Guys

The connecting rod is done accept for smoothing and polishing. It was difficult to clamp the con rod to the bench without bending it, furthermore it is another unmatched casting where I have to improvise. I was upset when my boring head fell out of the collet onto the work peace leaving a dent on the side. This is now the second time it happens to me and I usually put a thick cloth underneath to carry the fall, but this time I forgot. Well I suppose building an engine comes with casualties right? Here are some pics....

IMG_4243.jpg

IMG_4244.jpg

IMG_4245.jpg

IMG_4247.jpg

IMG_4249.jpg

IMG_4252.jpg

IMG_4253.jpg

IMG_4255.jpg

IMG_4256.jpg

IMG_4257.jpg

IMG_4260.jpg

IMG_4261.jpg

IMG_4262.jpg

Hi Guys

I notice that there are now about 7000 hits to this thread!!

Last night I finished the piston. I really enjoyed making this part specially when I cut it to specification 1.248 as per plan. It fits the bore perfectly and there are no tight spots. I was not too sure if the honing of the bore was that perfect. I am really impressed with the results so far. Here are some pics....

IMG_4264.jpg

IMG_4267.jpg

IMG_4269.jpg

IMG_4271.jpg

IMG_4273.jpg

IMG_4275.jpg

IMG_4276.jpg

IMG_4278.jpg

Back