Recommend a First Engine?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like Jeff02, my first engine was a Stuart 10V (vertical version of Jeffs)
Not a cheap option these days but in MHO the Stuart 10V or 10H is a good first project as it they not too difficult to make but you can exercise a whole range of skills and techniques. You get to work with cast iron, mild steel and brass. Also there are books and articles on how to build them.
At the end of it you should have a good looking engine to be proud of.
(Some years on from the first, I am thinking of buying another set of 10V castings to build with my Grandson at least thats my excuse)

Good luck with whatever you decide.

John S

Here are a few of my engines:
CF2006-55.jpg

Any of these are fairly simple.

I eventually want to design my own engines completely "from scratch" as they say. Maybe this simple motor of minimal part count would be a good first one after all.
Kermit: There are many things you can do to make a design yours. For example I have built 3 engines from one blue print. I took the plans for Lucy turned them 90 degrees and made Cory posted in the Gallery. My wife wanted a heart shaped engine so we flipped things 180 and made Rosey. The mechanical working dimensions are the same on all three engines but they are very different.
Another thing you can do is keep the critical dimensions but change the style of the parts. If you are an experience craftsman and have a simple set of plans make the parts better and fancier. Or if one is just starting out take a complicated set of plans and make the parts simpler. A cylinder can look like a block of metal or it can be made with lots of curves and graceful lines on the outside or it can be lagged with metal or hardwood the function is essentially the same but the feel and appearance is different. a connecting rod can be milled to look like a historical artifact or it can be a bent piece of coat hangar or cut out of a flat piece of stock. The great thing about this hobby is almost any engine can be customized and built to the makers taste. And that can change over time and engine to engine. Eventual one can develop there own style. For instance many of Elmers engines are recognizable.
Tin

I would add, any Engine by the late Phil Duclos would be a good project. His parts are easy to make. Plans and write up are excellent and again they are all bar stock.

Latest posts

Back