qctp recomendation

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

werowance

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, i have a Bolton at-750 combo lathe. has 12" swing and im looking to add a quick change tool post on it.

been looking at several aloris and others but i have some questions to ask people who have a qctp.

1. should i go with one that is charted to work with 9" to 12" swing or one that is charted to go with 10" to 15" swing, since my lathe is 12 inch it seems both will work. i will say that an 8 inch chuck i bought just looks huge on this lathe, but does fit. if that gives an idea of the size

2. should i go with axa, bxa, cxa or ca. actualy still trying to figure out if that is just the wedge shape designation or what, but want to make sure i get one that i can easily and cheaply obtain tool holders, and hopefully make some of my own as well.

3. is aloris, and phase ii ok brands in your opinion? especialy since im no where near good enough to make alot of the engines ive seen posted in this forum, but i think im going to make a little finger engine soon.

any input and suggestions are appreciated

Don't buy a cheap import post. Aloris and Dorian are the prime choices with my fav being Dorian because I consider the design to be superior to Aloris. They are expensive, but it's something you only buy once and you will appreciate the feel of a quality tool post everytime you use it. You can use an AXA or a BXA with the choice based on which better fits your compound. Check the dimensions against your compound height to determine the right size. The maker's web sites will give guidance on the correct size for your lathe. AXA will probably be limited to 1/2" tool shanks while BXA will accomodate 5/8" shanks.

Tool holders can often be imports if you choose wisely. I use a lot of Phase II holders because back in the day when I was buying them, they were well made and properly hardened. I always had to change out the set screws since the Chinese made screws were pretty lousy. I can't comment on today's Phase II holders since I haven't bought any in many years. They used to be the best of the imports. Of course, Aloris, DTM and Dorian holders are superb, but pricey.

RWO

1) it is matter of choice . either will work .
2)AXA BXA and CXA 100, 200, 300 are sizes ,all sizes available in wedge or piston style. Tool holders are readily available for all sizes axa and bxa are cheaper. cdco tools has axa and bxa for $10 each cxa for $16 and CA for $ 25
3) Aloris is IMHO the best brand out there and the original . Phase II is a good import brand. cdco is run of the mill import and cheap. $89 for a bxa set.

Tin

The height selection should be based on the height to the centerline above the compound and not on the swing of the lathe. You want to pick the size of holder that lets you lower the toolholder far enough to use the tallest tools and to raise it up high enough to use the shortest tools without packing. Aloris has a nice chart showing the right size selection for various heights above the compound (also a chart by lathe but it likely won't have your lathe).

I have both Aloris and Phase II, they're both nice but the Aloris seems to be better made - smoother and tends not to shake loose in a bad interrupted cut. I like the wedge type but really haven't spent much time with the picton type. One of the cheaper import piston holders passed through, I got rid of it pretty fast. If you knew how hard it is to get a tool out of my grasp it might give an idea of how little I thought of it.

Aloris, and Dorian are very good USA made, The Phase ll is chinese, and okay for use. I've both Dorian and Phase ll posts, with all 3 brands of holder. Except for the Phase ii holders that can in the set, all others are Dorian or Aloris, purchased new and used.

If you will be using carbide inserts, you should use the BXA size, the 5/8 shank is needed on the common 300 size inserts. For 1/2 holders in the AXA size the 200 size inserts are needed, and are often not available on my favorite seller EBAY. If you want to pay retail on the 200 inserts, then they will be less than a 300 of similar type.

For HSS or brazed carbide cutters, the AXA would be fine, max boring bar is 3/4" is good for most boring jobs.

If money is a issue the Phase ii would be the choice, otherwise Buys Aloris or dorian.

Aloris is made in New Jersey. If you can afford Aloris go for it. I do not recommend aloris simply because of the initial cost. many folks here just starting out and trying to build shop find it hard enough to justify the expense of a mini mill and mini lathe @ $500 to $ 750 for each machine plus measuring tools cutting tools etc. I am not going to suggest $668 $740 for a QCTP set.

I am fortunate I do have aloris I have had it for a while they are top quality.
Tin

I have several Aloris holders, but also some Yuasa that are equally good. The Chinese holders I got from eBay were pretty crappy. Mine are AXA/100 size, and I have 1/2" holders for inserts, but as Tom says they are less common than the 5/8.

The Chinese set only offer the basic holders . aloris has a large variety not offender in the cheap sets.
a 7 pc aloris kit has the folowing
#1 the most common used for holding cutters
#2 same as above with a bottom groove for boring bars as well as turning facing tools.
#4D boring bar holder.

#6 multiple/gang tool holder
#7 parting tool holder
#8 threading tool holder.

an interesting side note a AXA 1S or 2S holder will take a 5/8 shank but they list for close to $90 each.
Tin

Whatever set you get you'll want a bunch of toolholders. I got tired of buying them and made some, here's a good sample of the set I ended up with:

axa_toolholders.jpg

If you do buy some of the cheaper imports be sure to replace the setscrews with quality replacements, the imports I've worked with were of low quality and either the threads or hex holes would strip fairly quickly. I didn't find that in the Phase II toolholders I bought 10 years ago, things may have changed.

If you make some (as in the 5 in the middle above) it's usually easier to make a long bar with the dovetail then to slice off the bits that you need and finish the toolholding bit after. That way you're only doing the finicky dovetail once. For the height adjust screws I ended up buying parts from Aloris, I thought their price was pretty reasonable for the high quality provided.

Latest posts

Back