Prusa XL 3D Printer

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I built a steam engine as a 12th grade science project, and used a Briggs and Stratton piston as a starting point.
It was a single action engine, with piston valve, and a large pulley as a flywheel.
I was fascinated by engine design way back then, and I am still intrigued with engine designs to this day.

The typical model engine show thing is relatively new to me, and I must admit I had no idea really how it all worked, or what it was about.
The first model engine show I attended was NAMES in 2019, and I marveled at the quality and quantity of superb engines, and had a great time picking folks brains about how they made those engines.

For many it is an art.
For others it is a competition to garner that all important "best of show" ribbon.
For others, it is a mix of challenge, recognition, improving one's skills, ie: many things enter into the equation.

For me, the initial eye appeal is what draws me to look at an engine.
Beyond that is figuring out how the engine functions.
And then finally for me especially, I want to know if the engine accurately represents an original engine in both form and function, right down to the equations and such behind the design.

We all have to figure out what we want out of the hobby.

I have been told many things in this hobby, such as:

1. That build is outside the understanding or capability of the hobby.
2. That can't be done.
3. That 3D model is just a pretty picture, but is of no real use.
4. You should not build a model engine that is larger than X and Y flywheel and piston design.
5. Most modelers do this..............

None of these apply to me; I consider myself an engine designer/builder, and model engine building is what I consider a subset of my interests.
The model engine hobby is just one aspect of what I am interested in.

As I mentioned before, there are no "Small Engine Designer" forums out there that I am aware of, and so like making your own engine castings in gray iron, perhaps one has to make their own "Small Engine Designer" forum too, in order to find folks who more closely share your engine design/build interests.

For me really, engine design is not a hobby, but more of a lifestyle, and definitely an obsession (I am obsessive-compulsive for sure, and I register high on that scale).
I design for a living, and so it naturally follows that my interests lean towards the design side of things.

Last edited:
I recall reading a few years ago about early Prusa printers for sale, and supposedly the price was set to be just under $800.00 US dollars, to avoid an import duty (check me on that).

The Prusa XL sells somewhere in the $2,500.00 USD range, depending on whether it is partially assembled, fully assembled, and how many print heads it has.

So today I got an email from the shipping company (DHL) that an import duty was due immediately, else the printer would be returning to the Czech Republic.
The import duty is $100.00, and of course I paid it; there is no choice if you want an XL.

I have purchased one other item a few years ago from abroad, and it also had some duties attached to shipping it, and then another tax by my State for imported stuff.

Everyone needs their pound of flesh; its always been that way.

If you have $2,500.00 to spend on a 3D printer, then an extra $100.00 will be of little significance to you.

I will have to get creative with this new 3D printer, and try and recoup that money somehow.
Worst case, I chalk it up to technical training, which can be valuable in and of itself if you are in the technical business like I am.

Pat if you used the more common term of "workshop Engine" rather than working class you may find more people with the same interest. Also when it comes to IC engines then "Small Power" or "Fractional Horesepower" will find those interested in the type of engine you talk about though you may have to take up using Facebook to find them.

Funny enough I just got the latest engine running at the weekend, based on an engraving in "Scientific American" circa 1905 that was said to be able to power the treadle lathe it was built on, a scroll saw or a couple of sewing machines. at 1.5" bore and with an 8" flywheel I could have easily fitted it on my machines but decided to make it half scale. Once you have made a few engines you might find that storage and moving them about also becomes a consideration, even that Monitor I made got sold on as the owner was finding that size engine unmanagable.

The subject of size came up in your "casting kit" thread so comments were related to what would likely be wanted and sell as a kit, had it been titled engines you would personally like to build then sure make them whatever floats your boat but do bear in mind that if you put that big printer to use and actually cast up a few sets then your potential market will be smaller so less likely to get your investment back as easily. I know from chatting with Graham Corry of Alyn Foundry that the larger engines they did kits for were not as good sellers as those that coul dbe made on the commonly found in the UK Myford size lathe

Last edited:
Pat I see you are having problems drawing a Cretors flywheel, if you want the file for the Brayton one I did which has a similar look. You could scale that to any size and trim a bit off it's deep rim. Seems a bit pointless to come up with an engine to test out the new printer and then actually not use printed patterns :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Flywheel Render.JPG
    Flywheel Render.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 2
Jason-

As I push ahead with one of my desired larger format engines, reality bites hard.
I scaled the bore up to 2 inches on one engine I would like to build, along with the rest of the engine, and the frame turned out to be 66 pounds by itself, which clearly is not practical (possible but not practical).

The smaller engine kits are definitely far more economical.

And moving 100 lb engines around, or transporting them to shows will at some point be impossible for me.

So all that you say is true for sure.

Workshop engine is probably a pretty good description of the smaller working engines.

What I am finding out is it really boils down to crucible sizes, and maximum pour weights.

I have a #30 bilge, but it pretty much requires a pouring cart and crane, and I prefer to stick with an A20.

Probably the only engine I may go all out for would be a Ball Hopper Monitor, and I would really like one of those with a 2 inch bore.
I am not sure how heavy that would make it.

For the other engines I hope to build, I am going to have to compromise on some/most/all of them, for practical reasons like crucible capacity.
I am not going to buy a crucible larger than a #30.

Onwards and upwards, as they say.

Pat J

Pat I see you are having problems drawing a Cretors flywheel, if you want the file for the Brayton one I did which has a similar look. You could scale that to any size and trim a bit off it's deep rim. Seems a bit pointless to come up with an engine to test out the new printer and then actually not use printed patterns :rolleyes:

Yes, I agree.
That flywheel is a trick.

I may have to borrow that from you.

It does seem counterproductive to not print an entire set of engine patterns with the new XL.

2" bore monitor would be just under 100lbs as the model with it's 1.625" bore was 52lbs.

Edit, actually as you want it to do work you will need to add on a pulley like I did so that will probably bring it to just over 100lbs. Then add on a minimum of a sled but better still a drop frame cart and you have a sizable top heavy lump to move about. And that is before you have built something for it to drive

Length of lathe bed would probably become the governing factor as it's a long bore and the top end of the crankcase would stand 13" away from your faceplate and need quite a large capacity steady to hold it

Last edited:
let me know if you want the flywheel models and in what file type, I have 3 slightly different spoke curves.

Though by not going for the original #6 flywheel shape you are already deviating from your manifesto

"De-emphasis (or eliminate entirely) non-original engine cosmetics and embelishments." 😉

let me know if you want the flywheel models and in what file type, I have 3 slightly different spoke curves.

Though by not going for the original #6 flywheel shape you are already deviating from your manifesto

"De-emphasis (or eliminate entirely) non-original engine cosmetics and embelishments." 😉

LOL, so true.

Hipocrisy R Us.
My mother use to say to me "Do as I say, not as I do".

Edit:
I am tied up this morning, but I will get back to this item this afternoon.

Last edited:
when it comes to IC engines then "Small Power" or "Fractional Horesepower" will find those interested in the type of engine you talk about though you may have to take up using Facebook to find them.

No, I don't do facebook or google/youtube, and will never be using those services.
Proverbial line in the sand, you know.

The wife sent me this photo from home.

I asked "Why is it on its side?".

She said "That is the way it arrived".

Best not to ask her too many questions, lest she ask me too many questions.

A bit of a ding on the corner of the box.
Not sure what the black mangled thing is on the side.

Lets hope the box crush is superficial.

R111254539.jpg

Finally got home, and we hauled the Prusa upstairs.

A few initial observations:

1. Its HEAVY, 31.6 kg in box, (70 lbs.).

2. It feels big, but is still small compared to some commercial units I have looked at that have a print bed measured in feet.

3. Some assembly and training will be required.

4. No apparent shipping damage inside the box.

5. A container of candy that appears to weight a lot by itself.

6. The steel bed is held on with very strong magnets.

7. The bed heaters are segmented.

8. Print area is 14 inches cubed.

9. There is a pull strip around the lower sides of the box, and once removed, the box lifts off of the printer, which is very convenient.

10. Early orders come with a free double sided textured bed plate (the printer shipped with a default satin steel bed plate), and a V6 Nextruder nozzle adapter.

Here are some unpacking photos.

r20230531_203333.jpg
r20230531_203342.jpg
r20230531_203348.jpg
r20230531_203355.jpg
r20230531_203402.jpg
r20230531_203414.jpg
r20230531_203535.jpg
r20230531_203541.jpg
r20230531_203634.jpg
r20230531_203704.jpg

Here are a few Prusa XL videos.
Seems to be pretty positive comments overall for the XL.

The starting location/orientation of the print seems to be critical in some applications.

Both the height of the print, and the distance that can be printed diagonal (20 inches on the diagonal) are impressive compared to what I am use to.

Last edited:
I ordered the Prusa XL because I did not know how long it would take to receive one, and it did take a long time to get one delivered.

I did not want to get on the bottom of a years-long waiting list.

Unfortunately I am as busy as I have ever been with work projects, so my time at the moment using the XL will be limited.

I will try to find something suitable to use as a test print.

I am not sure if that will be a flywheel, engine frame, or what, but I will come up with something to try.

I am looking through my 3D models to see what can be used on the XL.

Latest posts

Back