Proposal to design a "First Build" engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KVOM; The screws should not be critical. I will have to check to be sure the larger holes do not conflict with anything. I think I ended up with 4-40 because the proportion seemed about right for the size of the engine but a larger size should work.

EDIT; the frame, valve and cylinder have been done using 6-32 screws without an issue.

Lathe Nut: go back a few replies to #119 on page 8. The corrected page is there. Working on getting it put into the .zip package in the downloads section.

kvom said:
For some reason I didn't catch thisw thread while it was brewing. The result looks really nice.

My only comment would be on the use of 4-40 screws. For some reason, these don't seem to be in ready supply in hardware stores around here. OTOH, 6-32 is found everywhere, and 5-40 is reasonably available.

kvom. I spent too much time and gas looking for small screws in all the wrong places.

I found that its more cost effective and efficient to buy them in box lots from places like Enco and Micro Fasteners just to name two.

http://www.microfasteners.com/

-MB

Metric plans adjusted

Hi all,
There were a couple of errors in the BOM for the Metric version of the EZ.
With thanks to Rick and to Alasdair for spotting it.

I have changed the BOM and here is the new zip file.
I will also attempt to find the original post and change it there aswell.

Lykle

View attachment EZ engine.zip

I'm a bit late to this thread, but CONGRATS GUYS !!! :bow: for all your work in bringing this project to life :)

It'll definitely benefit anyone just starting out. There's nothing more satisfying when starting out in machining to see an engine run !! I know, I've been there 3X now :D

Mike

I have replaced the corrected US and metric plans and uploaded a new .zip folder in the upload area that has all the changes. The .zip file is now dated so you know if you have the latest. If you have downloaded this before please download again and delete the old folder so you will have the latest and most accurate plans.

..... Hiya guys,.... Think I'm just what you are looking for!!! I am a 60 year old guy, looking for a hobby,... and my wife has just bought me a 7 x 14 for Xmas!!! Newbie???? it took me two attempts to get the scriber the right way round in my hand!! :-[ :-[
I have just unpacked the lathe,.. (I have not seen one since I left school 45 years ago....) and have not a clue what I am doing, I am your ideal guinea pig!!! If I could build this, anyone could!
OK, I may well give this a go,.. just the sort of project to get me started, once I can drill/turn/cut some metal,... so, after having a play over the next couple of weeks, will let you know how I go on,... and more useful, any snags I spot as a total novice.......

looking at the plans/ photos,.. I think I can just about follow everything, other than, on reply post #63, Spool valve.jpg, black85vette said " air supply on right/head on left",
Question,..... what does it matter where the toilet is??? ;D ;D

If I see any serious holdups/headscratches, I will post.

Cheers, Merry Christmas all, thanks for what looks like a super site,

Fred Cooper {G4ZWI}

Welcome to the forum Fred!
And congratulations.

Now...start a 'Work In Progress' thread and start posting pics of your build. ;D

think I can just about follow everything, other than, on reply post #63, Spool valve.jpg, black85vette said " air supply on right/head on left",
Question,..... what does it matter where the toilet is??? ;D ;D

Fred Cooper {G4ZWI}

Welcome Fred. I take it you were formerly in the Navy?? Not many others make that use of the word "head".

Also; de AB5ON. Several hams hangout around here.

Jump in and get started. Post pics and questions when you have issues. Plenty of support on this forum.

:mad:Hi to everyone, this thread is exactly what us newbies need.

I too have decided at the ripe old age of 64 to take up a new skill, as an ex mechanic I am used to taking stuff to a machine shop and paying for some one to do basic machining for a ridiculous price.

I am now a driving instructor and because of my mechanical background, have become involved in fitting driving school cars with dual controls. This has meant a small amount of machining, certainly not enough to warrant the expense of a lathe and milling machine. Therefore I purchased a reasonable standard drill press only to find that it could not be relied upon to drill bushes dead centre, for every 3 bushes I made I threw 2 away.

Solution was to go back to paying for them to be made or at long last fullfill the ambition of actually learning to use a lathe.

I have purchased a new 9 x 20 Steelmaster over Christmas and have now got it set it up and ground a couple of HSS tool bits.

Awaiting some essential items to arrive from the good ol' USA and it is away we go with maybe something a little more adventurous, this project sounds like just the thing.

Will no doubt get back and ask heaps of advice, I'm already scratching my head.

Welcome to the forum xr6t
There's a welcome thread if you'd like to tell us more about yourself.
Looking forward to seeing your build. The EZ-engine has seen some great success and appears to be an excellent 1st project.
If you've been looking at the forum...we like pics!!! And lots of them.

Welcome. Hope you like it here. Plenty of help and encouragement on this forum.

Ok, after more forum exploring I have found the E-Z engine, and I'm going to have a go.

This is just what I need to learn about the machine and get some practice in.

Cheers, Rockets.

rockets said:
Ok, after more forum exploring I have found the E-Z engine, and I'm going to have a go.

This is just what I need to learn about the machine and get some practice in. Cheers, Rockets.

Be sure and start a thread on your build and keep us updated on your progress. I think you will have some fun with it.

hi all,
I am thinking of building the ez engine, I am quite new to this hobby and only have a lathe and an accurate table drill.
Looking at the metric plans 04 Flywheel and other parts, in respect of the piston crank there seems to be no distance given between the center and the center of the M3 crank pin.
On the US plans the distance given is 0.375"=3/8=9.525mm.
If my reasoning is correct how accurate should this measurement be 9.525/9.52/9.5mm.

What a great site, keep up the good work, my comments are ment to be constructive.

ken

Hi and welcome to the forum. You might do a post and tell us about yourself.

The EZ engine does not have many critical measurements. I did the US plans but not the metric. Your estimate for the distance for the piston crank pin looks about right. A little off one way or the other can be corrected by the length of the connecting rod so it can be anywhere around 9.5 or 9.52 with a problem.

When you get started we would enjoy seeing pictures and hearing about your progress. Hope you enjoy it!

In reply #98 it states:

black85vette said:
The flywheel can be made of .250 inch aluminum flat stock..... Drill the center of the flywheel with at 15/32nds drill and follow it with a .025 inch reamer.

The 15/32nds drill size should be 7/32nds and the reamer should be .250 inch or the reamer will be awful loose!
Or was this the planned gotcha to see if we are paying attention?

Other than this little nitpick I love this plan. Well done all. :bow:

black85vette said:
EDIT: while there are plans, photos and instructions in this post, it is much easier to go to the downloads sections and download the .zip folder titled "E-Z Engine build" The US and Metric drawings are both in the folder and a document with instructions and photos to help with the build.

If I might make a suggestion, remove the "E-Z Engine build" from the downloads section entirely, and replace it with the e-zbuild13NOV09 file renamed.

The existence of two sets of plans for this engine definitely raises the difficulty level, and just cost me my last piece of 1/4" T6. :'(

I've seen a couple of threads that inspired me to log in. This is precisely a project for which I was looking.

Back