Problems With New Lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wm460

Reaction score
I switched my new lathe on today, the green light that indicates there is power lit up, the variable speed readout screen lit up and soon as I released the on button the screen went out and there is no power to the forwards and reverse switch.
If I hold the on switch on then switch the forwards/reverse on it works until you switch this off, then you have to go through the whole rigmarole again. :mad: :mad:
Hope this makes sense.

Problem Number 2,
When the lathe is running there is a hell of a racket from the gear area, to loud for this half deaf bloke.
Put my hand on the cover it quieten slightly.
Open the cover and it is nice and quite, tightened all the screws etc. on the hinges but that made no difference. :'(

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

If things power up when the START button is pressed and then shut off when the button is released....check that your interlocks(safety) are all working like they should. Engaged properly etc etc etc.

Kermit

You didn't mention what kind of lathe you have, but to further Kermit's suggestion. a lot of people have this problem with a new lathe 'til they realize the plastic chip guard must be down, as it trips a micro-switch.

open your gear cover, turn the lathe on if you can make that go, and see if it goes away. If so check the Bottom gear in there, the one closest the quick change, It may be rubbing on the cover. My 9x19 did when I put a certain gear in there. I use a dead blow hammer and massaged da area if know wat I mean.

Matt

Kermit said:
If things power up when the START button is pressed and then shut off when the button is released....check that your interlocks(safety) are all working like they should. Engaged properly etc etc etc.

Kermit

Thanks for your answer Kermit.
Could I have more information on these interlocks? please.
I have very limited knowledge with eclectic's.

gunboatbay said:
You didn't mention what kind of lathe you have, but to further Kermit's suggestion. a lot of people have this problem with a new lathe 'til they realize the plastic chip guard must be down, as it trips a micro-switch.

Thanks for your answer gunboatbay.
The brand is Steelmaster, properly rebadged as something else in your area of the world.
There is no chip guard on these lathes
SonyDSLRA350089.jpg

1hand said:
open your gear cover, turn the lathe on if you can make that go, and see if it goes away. If so check the Bottom gear in there, the one closest the quick change, It may be rubbing on the cover. My 9x19 did when I put a certain gear in there. I use a dead blow hammer and massaged da area if know wat I mean.

Matt

Thanks for your answer Matt.
This was my first thought,there is no rub marks on the cover.

I dont know if this will help any, but here is what I have noticed about my mini lathe.

In order to start my lathe I have to 1st off release the big red emergancy stop button, but if the speed control is set at anything above 0 ( turned all the way down ) the lathe will not start, and will not start until the for/rev switch is set in the neutral position and the speed is set to 0 and the chuck guard is closed. Then after a pause of a couple of secs I can set the direction switch and turn up the speed to start the lathe going.

I think that this is a safety feature to stop the lathe being accidently turned on at full speed.

I wonder if your lathe has a similar safety feature, namely that after stopping via the big red stop button, you must turn the speed all the way down and switch the for/rev switch into neutral ( if it has a neutral position ) before it will allow the lathe to start?

Maybe try turning the speed all the way down before starting?

Just a thought.

Tim

Mark, as you know I have the same lathe. You're doing the switch on in the wrong sequence.

Put Fwd/Rev switch in desired position

Push Green start switch

It'll work.

Still reckon you have something rubbing on the guard if the noise disappears when you open it.

On the old Hercus 260 lathe that they have it work you have two switches. One is the on/off power switch the other is forward neutral and reverse.
When you use it, you switch on the power and then the rest of the time you use the forwards reverse swicth, when you want to stop it just put it into neutral.

Did that Steelmaster, It worked.
So the neutral does not appear to have any function?

checked in side the cover and she OK.

SonyDSLRA350096.jpg

wm460 said:
Did that Steelmaster, It worked.
So the neutral does not appear to have any function?

Well it does, it stops the motor so that you can't go from forward to reverse and vice versa without stopping first.

Latest posts

Back