Porsche 917

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about this one: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeUMDY01uUA[/ame]

javascript:void(0);

Regards Jeroen

Richard

Ok glad you did
To me this is the way to get real information.

mvgrijk

Now my main object, the engine was finished I did have a little problem. The next thing should be the gearbox. But it was a little big problem. I had no idea how the internals of such a gearbox look like. The small drawing I got only showing it’s principle. And also nowhere any pictures of an opened gearbox.

FHB even your cad rendering are an amazing project.
Tin

So now back to the gearbox. As said before I had no idea and no dimensions. There were no pictures. Probably the gearbox was so sturdy it wasn’t needed to open it for restoration. And maybe also because no one is interested in those internals if one can photograph the complete car. But then out of the blue some things happened.
First of all I tried to get in contact with the just opened Porsche museum in Stuttgart. Only to find out if I should have success finding drawings in their archives after a car trip of 1200 km’s . But probably I didn’t have the right E-mail address because I got never an answer. Then I met someone on the internet telling me he was one of the few people who helped to reorganize the Porsche archives after the racing department was closed. He told me there were no drawings left. .So dark clouds are coming in.

rhb
I wish I had a little bit of your ability in CAD ::)
There are some realy nice work put in this project. Have you start machinig parts for the 917?

PS: I had my son in law Porche356. 1953 cab. in my "hands" for some weeks this spring ;D nice old car.
PS.PS Where are your location.
Best regards
Crankshafter

crankshafter said:
Have you start machinig parts for the 917?
PS.PS Where are your location.
Yes I did. I will come to that later. But first I wanted to explain a little bit one has to do to get information and to make some drawings with dimensions of everything.
I am from Holland

regards rijk

Rijk,

Your CAD renderings are so realistic. :bow:

Amazing, just amazing.

SAM

Beautiful renderings which are a work of art themselves :bow: :bow:

Mike

Some remarks about the car in general.
Porsche created in the late 1960 this supercar only to win le Mans thanks to an overseen gap in the regulations. If you are interested look around the internet and find an amazing story about great ideas, technics , racing skills and much more.
Porsche build 50 of those cars. Equipped with an Aluminum welded tube frame and a 5 liter 12 cylinder aircooled engine with around 560 bhp.and a fiberglass body. All with a minimum weight of 800 kg.

With the drawing of most parts ready I then can start making the drawings needed while machining. So I start with resizing the drawings to 20% and breakdown the whole in to smaller drawings from which you can create all kind of dimensions you might wanted the use in the workshop. Print them and put them in a folder This is what it looks like.

Wow!

I watched all the videos last night of the 917 restoration by Gunnar racing; what an impressive piece of work! Thanks for posting the link.
Also as many have already said; your CAD work and renderings are superb.

Dave

Forget the scale model, get the Chinese to make a full size replica for you. You've done the hard part.......

Man, that's a lot of pretty impressive work!

I'm looking forward to the machining. It will be nice to see this project go from virtual to reality.

Got any more pics of your crank?

Nederlands zie ik!

zeer mooi tekenwerk.
Ik ben benieuwd ook dit ook te realiseren is in een schaalmodel.
dat zou wel zeer knap zijn.

succes!

groeten.

I am surprised no one has asked, or less surprised if you have said and I didn't see it, what software are you using?

Thanks, those are amazing renderings.

rhb:
I spent 6 years in research and development in a yacht yard. Back in the day we made pattern (Plugs) of yacht parts 1:1 scale then made molds and then parts. even made a fiberglass head sink and a wet bar or two.we even made a model boat once. I think I MIGHT be able to talk you through making a small car body.
Let me know when you are ready.
Tin

KustomKB said:
Got any more pics of your crank?
No I don't. I put all the parts together for a display at the annual day of a modelclub.
After that I took it apart.

Latest posts

Back