Poor Man's Digital Readout for Mini Mill

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gus

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
DRO was urgently required and must have latest today/tomorrow to mill the Inlet and Exhaust Cams for Nemett-Lynx Engine now very far behind completion. DRO from LMS would cost a bomb landed in Singapore. Same from ArcEuroTrade cost 54 British Pound and DHL not included.
1.Had tried using a Magnet Stand and Dial.Mill is too small.

2. Made a clamp to hold dial. Ruined the M.I.C. Dial in seconds with wild oscillations caused by the residue vibrations from mill. Dial eventually spun like a high speed clock. See foto 1.

3. Made ''Bush'' Clamp to hold M.I.C. Digital Vernier. See foto 2. Zero back home was initiated using my right hand until a brain wave came. Use elastic band.

4. With Digital Caliper at full length made reading difficult. Clamping on caliper need upgrade. Chopped 150mm Vernier to 60 mm Was kind of painful to chop a friendly caliper.:(See foto 3. Tension Spring was in mind but drill a hole thru the hardened jaw was impossible.Reluctantly went back to ''Bush Engineering" with Rubber Band.:hDe:

Now looking at using same set-up for the Sakai Mini Lathe.:cool:

IMG_1277.jpg

IMG_1282.jpg

IMG_1287.jpg

I love your creativity, in tooling and in your use of space. Living proof that it doesn't need to be fancy in order to work.

Seeing your workspace in some posts last year encouraged me to start machining in our condo.

Gerrit

I love your creativity, in tooling and in your use of space. Living proof that it doesn't need to be fancy in order to work.

Seeing your workspace in some posts last year encouraged me to start machining in our condo.

Gerrit

I am fortunate to my my wife's blessing(and permissiom even though the title deed mine) to use the balcony with three open sides. Fortunately again,we don't get too much rain splashing on but rust is not a big problemGetting crowded now and no room for any addition. If I can manage the space the Japanese way,then the balcony space can be optimised. The Vertical Makita BandSaw was a good example.
Meanwhile keeping my mind.body and soul busy. My neighbour is suffering from dementia.

Please post fotos of your machineshop.

The saying goes " where there is a will, there is a way", you certainly found the way to do it Gus, great work.

Paul.

Nice.
It reminds me of the lash up I used before I fitted dro's.

you gotta do what works.

Roy.

Back